PDA

View Full Version : New BB connection - router disconnects

davidmmac
29-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi there,

After months of slow progress I have finally managed to convince my parents that we need to ditch the slow wireless connection and get an ADSL one. My Dad and I signed up to the Vodafone Ultimate package on Sunday and our half free (cost $100) modem (a Belkin F5D7634) arrived yesterday.

First impressions were good, the modem was syncing at 7600kbit/s down and 896 up, but the first problem has arisin this afternoon, when the modem disconnected twice. It also seemed to be slow (around 60 kilobytes p/s) at downloading files. Edit: When doing speedtests it would range in around the 2-5Mbit/s range.

I googled the model number and sure enough, there were many people who had had the same problem, in fact this device seemed to be a magnet for problems.

So any ideas? Should we contact Vodafone? Or is this just normal with a new connection?

I'm doing a Cisco Networking course at school learning about networking so I would consider myself as reasonably knowledgable at how it all works, but I lack experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Safari
29-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Have you installed filters on all your phones, faxes, sky digital etc
Are you using any double adapters or extension leads.

davidmmac
29-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Filters installed on all phone jacks (except the sky one, which isn't in use), and not using any double adaptors or extension leads.

wainuitech
29-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I googled the model number and sure enough, there were many people who had had the same problem, in fact this device seemed to be a magnet for problems. think have answered your question-- Sounds a lot like its the modem/router.

One way to tell is replace it ( beg steal -NO - or borrow) a known good working modem/router.

That way if a different one works OK then you have proof for vodafone its the modem/router.

FYI --- I have seen MANY Belkins cause problems, change to another brand and the problem is resolved.

davidmmac
29-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks Wainui, will see about borrowing a new router.

Rang Vodafone, the man said 2 disconnections was normal in NZ because of the copper wires, and it wasn't a fault until there were 10 disconnections.

Another (related) question: Last night our sync speed was 7600kbit/s (down), now it's 5792Kbit/s. Is this change normal?

Apparently (according to the man) we're 2.9Km from the exchange.

coldot
29-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Have you tried with all phones & filters removed?
If you haven't it's worth a check with all plugs out except modem.
I had a case recently in a home that upgraded broadband to Vodafone and modem wouldn't stay connected. Turned out to be faulty filter - which had been ok on their previous broadband.

davidmmac
30-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks coldot, will try that - touch wood everything is fine at the moment

fujitsu
30-04-2010, 10:13 PM
For your speed to have changed like it did would imply a reset on your ADSL connection to the D-SLAM, this could be caused by many things apart from those mentioned previously...filters etc, a hit on Mains 230v. will cause a modem to re-sync, or a "micro-break" on the line i.e. one of short duration (very hard to find) will cause this to occur..... the world of ADSL contains many things to affect performance, sometimes you just have to keep chasing it. A proper splitter filter is a really good start.

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd personally opt for a better router.

http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Yes, your sync speed *can* literally change that much between connections. I wouldn't think those speeds match up with that distance. Go to http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps and enter your street address in to see if you should be on an ADSL2+ Cabinet or Exchange, and speak with Vodafone about it.

davidmmac
30-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd personally opt for a better router.

http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Yes, your sync speed *can* literally change that much between connections. I wouldn't think those speeds match up with that distance. Go to http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps and enter your street address in to see if you should be on an ADSL2+ Cabinet or Exchange, and speak with Vodafone about it.

I'd go for a better router as well, but the 'olds are cautious.

The telecom website says our exchange is going to be upgraded, but we aren't going to be close enough to recieve ADSL2+ speeds.

Safari
30-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Some people here seem very keen to get you to spend more money.
A few disconnects is nothing to be concerned about it is not uncommon.
It is not unusual to get a few one day and you may not get any for a week.
Your speeds are quite acceptable as well and getting a new modem is unlikelty to give you anything faster.

Paul.Cov
01-05-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm with vodafone, and there are periods where disconnects seem quite common, particularly if the router is idle for a wee while (despite being internally configured to hold the line permanently).
Yeah, it's a mild inconvenience, but not a biggie.

Periods of heavy use of the network with lots of others loging in (workers arriving at work, workers getting home again, school/public holidays) seem to aggravate the issue, as does bad (wet) weather.

davidmmac
01-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your help guys :)

Now I have a new problem, when downloading from sites like apple or download.com, speeds are great, around 200kb/s, but when downloading from sites like Mediafire, Rapidshare, Megaupload, multiupload, zshare etc, it never gets above 60kb/s, and most of the time it's around 40kb/s.

I've asked VF and they say they don't slow sites down, so what am I doing wrong?

If I download the same file on our old connection (wireless) it works fine, maxing the connection out, but on ADSL it dosen't seem to want to...

Modem Stats:
ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
7616Kb 896Kb

Noise Margin
14 16

Output power(dBm)
122 199

Attenuation(dB)
32 15

VF speedtest results:
Download Speed: 2531 kbps (316.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 759 kbps (94.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 46 ms

Any help on this is greatly appreciated :thanks

Chilling_Silence
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Looks like you're certainly on an ADSL1 connection, you can tell because the backbone just isn't sufficient for you to regularly attain your max line speeds, regardless of where it comes from.

Regardless of if you're getting "ADSL1 Speeds" on an ADSL2+ connection, it's more significant in that the upgraded backbone to the Exchange or Node is able to handle you maxing out your connection, easily.

I would strongly disagree that regular disconnects are "acceptable".

I personally get frustrated at any downtime, regardless of how long it is for, and when it happens once every couple of months (if that), that's enough to get me on the phone to my ISP.
That's the difference between being on an ADSL1 connection, and an ADSL2+ connection in NZ (Conditions in other countries vary). With an ADSL2+ connection, it *ought* to be more reliable, at least I can comment on the likes of the Orcon Plus network and the Telecom / Chorus network, leaving then just the CPE (Client Premise Equipment), which is surprisingly a very common downfall and giving a lot more issues than it needs to.

If you're on a good connection (ADSL2+), and if you have a good router, there's no need for you to experience even weekly disconnects, unless something major is going on in your area such as the Exchange or roadside cabinet being upgraded, you may experience irregular disconnects on a temporary basis, but not in the long run.

Sure, ADSL is a "best effort" service, but there's absolutely no reason that "best effort" has to mean "unreliable". In fact, I've had a medium sized multi-million dollar business run their telephony off a SIP connection, which lasted 9 months before it dropped.

In fact, my router is up for over 183 days now, with my ADSL modem (halfbridge to the router) has been up for over 45, only losing power / connection then due to me testing a Draytek router. It's re-acquired a new IP on that every 3 days, but never lost connectivity.

With that in mind, I would recommend that if there are disconnection issues, that you look into upgrading your router. For the cost of ~$100 to no longer have to worry about disconnection issues, many people find it surprisingly worthwhile.

In fact, in my experience, many people are shocked to find that "the internet" doesn't have to drop off every few days.
I replaced an old SMC router for a small business I took on last year around Sept with the NB6Plus4Wn. They didn't realize how much time they were wasting with restarting their router, how much stress it was causing, uncertainty and more.
For the cost of $140 to chuck in a new one, they were very pleased, but also pissed off their previous IT guy hadn't done this for them sooner. They've restarted it once, a fortnight ago, since I put it in.

davidmmac
02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for that Chill, really appreciate the time and effort put into typing that post. Will be ringing VF again this morning to see if we can get either a ruddy good replacement or a refund.

Safari
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Are you still getting disconnects with the Belkin and if so how often.

The issue with download speeds from such as Rapidshare are not due to your modem so don't expect any improvement with that by using another modem.
Your speeds appear normal for an ADSL1 connection when you are not filesharing so that won't improve with a different modem either.

davidmmac
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Are you still getting disconnects with the Belkin and if so how often.

Disconnections happen when you are either:

Using a VPN connection
Torrenting
Downloading a file
or all 3 computers are using the net at the same time

And it always comes up in the modems firewall log as being a UDP flood, which google suggests is a common fault in this model of router.

The issue with download speeds from such as Rapidshare are not due to your modem so don't expect any improvement with that by using another modem.

So what would they be due to?

Chilling_Silence
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Using a VPN connection

That's the "Use default remote gateway setting" in the VPN. You'll still likely be able to use other machines.

Torrenting

The router can't handle the load of torrenting, potentially overheating, potentially just a limitation of the router.

Downloading a file

That shouldn't cause it to disconnect, just a single file ... though potentially, again, see the previous response

or all 3 computers are using the net at the same time

Similar to torrenting, the router simply can't handle the load

Whilst replacing the router won't increase your speeds from Rapidshare, I'd bet money that it'll fix a lot of other things!

davidmmac
02-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok, just thought I'd do an update:

Rang VF, they said I need to forward the VPN port my dads laptop is connecting to, but I'm not too sure where I can find it :?. Google suggested port 1723 was for VPN and port 3389 was for remote desktop. They also said if port fowrding didn't work we could turn off interleaving or send it back, so we'll wait and see.

As for the slow speeds, I sort of fixed it (for mediafire anyway) by using DTA. Will have to do a bit of research to try and fix it for other sites that don't like download accelerators.

Chilling_Silence
03-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Forwarding the VPN port is a waste of time, it will be establishing an outbound connection, so therefor require the port to be forwarded at the server-end, but as he doesn't receive inbound connections himself, the VF rep was talking out their ass basically.

Try this:
Right-click on the VPN connection properties --> Networking --> TCP/IPv4 --> Properties --> Advanced --> UNTICK "Use default gateway on remote network" and then hit OK 3x.
See if he can now join the VPN and still browse the web :)

Slow speeds from the likes of MediaFire could be any number of things, most of which are likely to be out of your control, it's not likely you'll ever fully max out your line speed with them.

Hope this helps, let me know how you go with the VPN stuff.

davidmmac
03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Chill, thought I'd point out that the disconnections only happen sporadically when using VPN, so we can browse the web and use VPN, until router disconnects.

Should probably have made that more clear a couple of posts back :o.

Chilling_Silence
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Cool, in which case I'd again guess that the router is unable to handle the load, and is overheating.