PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 from a pcworld disc

parioli
29-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I recently installed a beta version of Windows 7 from a PCWorld disc of 01.08.09 to a new laptop purchased July 09 with Vista installed.
I wish to uninstall this beta version and revert to the previous Vista OS
I was not supplied with Vista discs with the laptop purchase.
Grateful for instructions about how to do this successfully (and safely)
(I do not have an restore point early enough to use System Restore.)

nedkelly
29-04-2010, 06:29 PM
depending on what type of laptop it is, it might have a recovery partition instead of a install disk

wainuitech
29-04-2010, 06:34 PM
If there is a recovery partition on the Original HDD, it may or may not have been wiped when you installed W7.

Chances are W7 wiped the drive. BUT if there is still the recovery partition, press the correct keys, and it should boot into that and put the Laptop back to factory default - all data will be lost. You have not said what type of laptop it is ( brand/Model)

having system restore wont be of any use - as installing Windows 7 over Vista is a HUGE OS change and you couldn't wind it back anyway.

The other way - is get hold of a OEM Vista DVD (maybe from someone who has one) wipe the drive, and use the Product key on the back of the laptop, you will have had to downloaded the drivers from manufactures site beforehand, unless you have a second PC/laptop to do so after-wards, and install them as well.

3rd option - contact who ever the manufacture is, and order a set of recovery DVD's -- these will cost $$

AvonBill
30-04-2010, 11:03 AM
In the future when you do this sort of thing you may like to take an image backup of your operating system partition before you start. There are a number of great free tools for doing this: Macrium, Paragon, Easeus to name but a few.

If you find you still have a recovery partition; back it up. The laptop may have come with a tool for doing this or use one of the programs mentioned above.

parioli
30-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for generous help and suggestions. Laptop is Acer Extensa 5620
Will work through options.

feersumendjinn
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Alt+F10 when the Acer logo appears when booting to access recovery partition.