PDA

View Full Version : Surveillance cameras

Nomad
29-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi, we had one of our cars broken into that was parked in the drive way overnight, we didn't hear it. The engine bonnet was also opened.

Like to know some suggestions for a camera.

Does not have to be fancy, ie., hooked to the VCR or computer would be fine or even a portable handycam. Resolution shouldn't be an issue these days but looking for low light.

Optional - motion detection.
Just something I can stick to the window beside the curtains.

Cheers.

nedkelly
29-04-2010, 09:19 AM
There are some web cam programs that have motion sensor

kandjc
29-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Try and have a word with this guy - http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/3588271/Web-cameras-snap-intruder

Zippity
29-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Anyone know the name of, or how to get the software used in the home webcam?

Peter H
29-04-2010, 12:48 PM
More sensible and useful is to fit a car alarm. Even if you had pictures, they would not be of much help.

nedkelly
29-04-2010, 01:33 PM
have a look at this one. http://download.cnet.com/Active-WebCam/3000-2348_4-10064509.html?tag=mncol

Nomad
29-04-2010, 01:42 PM
More sensible and useful is to fit a car alarm. Even if you had pictures, they would not be of much help.

Yes but the car is not worth more than $750 or $500 and the other is bought for 5k prob now at 3.5k.

somebody
29-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Anyone know the name of, or how to get the software used in the home webcam?

Not sure if is this is the one the guy used, but http://www.vitamindinc.com/ looks very promising - take a look at their demo videos when you get a chance.

Sweep
29-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Nomad. You could pick up an obvious camera cheaply that does not take pictures.

pine-o-cleen
29-04-2010, 10:25 PM
...or just put up a sign saying "CCTV surveillance in operation"

Sweep
29-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Correct.

I have a sign saying "Attack Cat on duty."

wainuitech
29-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Not sure if is this is the one the guy used, but http://www.vitamindinc.com/ looks very promising - take a look at their demo videos when you get a chance. I tried that program the other day - it worked real good, sent pictures to a email address within seconds, and recorded when the motion sensor on the Cam was activated - it was only a basic cheap Logitech Cam, but the pictures and video were clear.

I had it setup in the workshop aimed at the door, it even detected movement through the window as I walked past.

Sweep
29-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you got pictures of your other alarm that goes woof?

tweak'e
30-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi, we had one of our cars broken into that was parked in the drive way overnight, we didn't hear it. The engine bonnet was also opened.

Like to know some suggestions for a camera.

Does not have to be fancy, ie., hooked to the VCR or computer would be fine or even a portable handycam. Resolution shouldn't be an issue these days but looking for low light.

Optional - motion detection.
Just something I can stick to the window beside the curtains.

Cheers.

CCTV is a lot harder than it looks. getting an image is easy, getting an image thats worth having is a different story.
cheap webcam type cameras only work at very close range and don't work well in poor light. some of the cheap CCTV cameras work ok and closeish range and in reasonable light. something half decent your looking $200+ for a outdoor camera and $600-$1000 for standalone DVR. capture cards are cheaper but require a pc of a required spec (not all chipsets work with the cards). thats only for old analog, HD is a lot more expensive.
then theres all the traps. most have IR for night use but that can cause as many problems as it solves. may need to get a separate IR spotlight.

the big problem with cheap CCTV is they end up getting a video of someone stealing their car but no usable image of the person who did it, which makes it all pointless.

it would be far cheaper to get a car alarm or a big dog !

SurferJoe46
30-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Sleep in the car. Most thieves will go the other way if there's a person in the front seat.

wmoore
30-04-2010, 07:27 AM
CCTV is a lot harder than it looks. getting an image is easy, getting an image thats worth having is a different story.
cheap webcam type cameras only work at very close range and don't work well in poor light. some of the cheap CCTV cameras work ok and closeish range and in reasonable light. something half decent your looking $200+ for a outdoor camera and $600-$1000 for standalone DVR. capture cards are cheaper but require a pc of a required spec (not all chipsets work with the cards). thats only for old analog, HD is a lot more expensive.
then theres all the traps. most have IR for night use but that can cause as many problems as it solves. may need to get a separate IR spotlight.

the big problem with cheap CCTV is they end up getting a video of someone stealing their car but no usable image of the person who did it, which makes it all pointless.

it would be far cheaper to get a car alarm or a big dog !

Would have to agree, Buy cheap and you will get crap pictures.
Also to many people mount the cameras too high up, so you end up getting a picture their head.
Gravel and low lighting would be my suggestions.