PDA

View Full Version : Spam

Poppa John
28-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi All.

We are getting spam from Live Mail & Hotmail. All of a sudden as of a few days ago. Is it bothering anyone else? ISP is Orcon. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Are you logging into Hotmail? If you are, those belong to Microsoft, not Orcon

Poppa John
28-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Speedy... The laptop uses Live Mail This comp uses OE7 (!). When I go into OE & click to recieve E-Ms I get any from Orcon & those from Gmail as well.As far as I know I am not signed in to Hotmail nor Livemail.

The address on the spam is all MSN Livemail & Hotmail with an unknown sender name. Only once so far have we had a spam E-m with our proper E-m address xxxxxxxx@orcon.net.nz.

waldok
28-04-2010, 08:43 PM
It's hard to know what's going on without more info. Sometimes the information they've stolen about people's accounts through phishing to send spam, or they spoof the address. Sometimes the spammers find a way to break the Captcah for a while.

If you have spam email that appears to be coming from Hotmail or Live please report it as described here (http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=e1e87293-909f-45e9-9dcd-920a04719bc3), that way the Hotmail guys can look into it.

Sadly it's a never ending battle with the spammers.

cheers
W

Poppa John
30-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi All...The Hotmail spam is getting worse. I have contacted Orcon & am awaiting a reply. Maryann uses livemail on her laptop, on this desktop I use OE. But they are coming thro into OE via orcon.
I have been looking around in Livemail & see that it is possible to SET the spam level in JunkMail. Will tell Maryann & see what she wants to do.

Is anybody else seeing a rise in Hotmail spam? PJ

Poppa John
30-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi All...Three cheers for Orcon. Just got a reply from the helpdesk. Saying that our spam setting was only at "mark as spam" . H e has set it to a higher level. I was not aware it was set there, thought it was higher. PJ

lakewoodlady
30-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah I got some spam sent from a friend's hotmail addy, only thing is she died on 29th of March! I don't know if anyone can cancel her email or not. Some spammer must have got hold of it.

LL

linw
30-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Doesn't sound like there is much hope - Leo Notenboom answered this question recently in his newsletter. Unfortunately a link to the article didn't work.

Poppa John
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Good day All.
Four more baddies this morning. Can someone tell me how to get them from the OE window to send to a hotmail report place? Thanks.PJ:mad::help:

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I would use Gmail instead. Forget about Hotmail

Poppa John
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I would use Gmail instead. Forget about Hotmail

I use OE & Gmail. I do not have Hotmail activated. Maryann has Livemail on her laptop, we use the same Orcon address.

The Spam is all Hotmail.com.

The senders address is a made up name or a jumble of letters .com.

How does it get into OUR Orcon address. I dont understand that bit. PJ

Safari
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I use OE & Gmail. I do not have Hotmail activated. Maryann has Livemail on her laptop, we use the same Orcon address.

The Spam is all Hotmail.com.

The senders address is a made up name or a jumble of letters .com.

How does it get into OUR Orcon address. I dont understand that bit. PJ

The reason it gets to your Orcon address is because it was addressed to you.
You can't receive an email unless your address is on it somewhere.
Just because you can't see your address does not mean it is not in the BCC field along with hundreds of other email addresses.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Its probably sent (to anyone), at random by whoever the spammer is. Cant do much about it

There's no point in sending them to some hotmail report place, if there's no email addy in the from window.

Its probably picked up your orcon email (if you post it on any sites you go to)

Poppa John
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
The reason it gets to your Orcon address is because it was addressed to you.
You can't receive an email unless your address is on it somewhere.
Just because you can't see your address does not mean it is not in the BCC field along with hundreds of other email addresses.

OK Thanks

Just as a PS. This spam does not appear in the Livemail window, only OE. PJ

DUNK
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Have you not heard of "Mailwasher" There's even a FREE version :2cents:

Poppa John
02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Have you not heard of "Mailwasher" There's even a FREE version :2cents:

Yes, Thanks. PJ