PDA

View Full Version : I've been wondering when they'd crack down on Hydroponics selllers

Billy T
28-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Saw the news item and had a quiet chuckle..........

There's two large hydroponics businesses on opposite sides of a street that I pass along regularly and they seemed to do a thriving trade. I always reckoned that they were propped up by the marijuana growing trade as there couldnt be that many indoor gardening freaks that they needed two in such close proximity, and I could not understand why the local plods hadn't turned them over. It did cross my mind though, that they might be taking plate numbers and/or following them back to base as a way of casting a wider net.:devil

Of course much of their trade would be cash sales (nudge-nudge) stiffing the dope laws and the IRD at the same time, so it was inevitable that they'd get turned over at some stage.

They were daft to have their dope and utensils on site though, they might have come ot better it they hadn't.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

Cheers

Billy

Metla
28-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Lets just hope they now target car dealers for selling gear that enables people to speed.

And lets spread some cheer for the thousands of victims of crime who had all their small complaints ignored while the cops dedicated thousands of hours to a harmless plant.

R2x1
28-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I thought the majority of all conventional gardening was weeding ?

Billy T
28-04-2010, 05:29 PM
And lets spread some cheer for the thousands of victims of crime who had all their small complaints ignored while the cops dedicated thousands of hours to a harmless plant.

Bit of a narrow view there Metla. I agree the plant is relatively harmless, but the supply chain is something else altogether. Legalise it and that might become less of a problem, though I doubt it would go away completely.

The situation is not dissimilar to Prohibition in the US, crime thrived on the proceeds, and when it was legalised that proportion of the organised crime problem faded into the background but came back with a vengeance when the drug scene boomed.

In the end we either have a rule of law, or we give it all up to anarchy......... until a new order develops and new laws appear.

Out of chaos comes order, followed closely by resistance, avoidance and evasion; then the whole cycle starts again.

And no, I don't know the answer either................

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

R2x1
28-04-2010, 06:15 PM
It's all going to be insignificant soon, cigarette theft and duty dodging are about to become the booming crime areas

Jen
28-04-2010, 06:36 PM
There are two hydroponic shops (opposite on the road too) near me. They clearly advertise in the window their products will make your herbs more potent. They even have units with venting exhaust systems and insulation on display in the shop front. You would have to be pretty stupid to imagine this was only for growing your basil and parsley indoors. :rolleyes: It is interesting why only now they decide to prosecute the shop owners.

R2x1
28-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Slow crime day?

gary67
28-04-2010, 08:07 PM
It was fairly common knowledge in Nelson that the SOG was a supplier to the drugs growers and it was funny seeing them get turned over yesterday, I just happened to be over the road making a delivery at the time

Scouse
28-04-2010, 08:29 PM
RE:
It is interesting why only now they decide to prosecute the shop owners.

These characters can afford the very best of the so-called legal fraternity, as you will see in coming weeks.
Hence the two years spent gathering the information - probably trying to make it watertight.

Sweep
28-04-2010, 08:39 PM
RE:
It is interesting why only now they decide to prosecute the shop owners.

These characters can afford the very best of the so-called legal fraternity, as you will see in coming weeks.
Hence the two years spent gathering the information - probably trying to make it watertight.

Agreed.

No point in bringing matters to a Court unless you can prove it.

Metla
28-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Bit of a narrow view there Metla. I agree the plant is relatively harmless, but the supply chain is something else altogether. Legalise it and that might become less of a problem, though I doubt it would go away completely.

I don't think it should be legalised, Just ignored. Those in the supply chain tend to be either harmless or involved in proper crime, so why not just get em for the proper crimes.

Having said that I have no problems with these shops getting busted, and if it were our less organised criminals such as the mob I'd be celebrating.

uh....maybe I don't even have a point.

bob_doe_nz
28-04-2010, 09:16 PM
It was fairly common knowledge in Nelson that the SOG was a supplier to the drugs growers...
I thought it was common knowledge that they all were.

Jester
28-04-2010, 10:21 PM
They had to do it right, in order to get everyone involved implicated (250 arrests is pretty hefty) and as said earlier to prove the case in court.

Police are doing as required of them, to uphold the law. These firms were breaking the law, by selling pot and pot accessories ... to undercover cops in many cases over the past two years.

LOL. Not very "Switched On".

We don't need stoners in our society anyway.

martynz
28-04-2010, 10:42 PM
The SOG website is still up. I think I read in the DomPost that the owning company is called Stonedware (or something similar)...bit of a giveaway.

--Wolf--
28-04-2010, 10:50 PM
At the SOG in Chch they have a sign in the store saying "We do not sell P pipes"

/irrelevant post

bob_doe_nz
28-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I wonder if pctek got caught up in all this I wonder... She did buy some hydroponic supplies... :stare:

prefect
29-04-2010, 07:42 AM
I suppose it could be as simple as undercover cops sitting in car noting who buys the stuff and following them home.
The solution could be to treat the people who buy the stuff like gun owners and the equipment like guns. Submit to a digital foto, show driver licence and one other document when they buy the stuff and sign over allowing the feds to randomly check the equipment later on. If you cant explain where its gone you go to jail until you remember.

Cicero
29-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Quite right Pre,and a bit of minor torture wouldn't go amiss.

mikebartnz
29-04-2010, 09:28 PM
hydroponics can be used out doors too.

Sweep
29-04-2010, 09:32 PM
hydroponics can be used out doors too.

True. Maybe that's why the floodlights are on at the local park.

mikebartnz
29-04-2010, 11:30 PM
True. Maybe that's why the floodlights are on at the local park.
hydroponics has very little to do with lighting systems and everything to do with water.

R2x1
30-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Water? Pipes? Have them hookers got hookahs in there?

Sweep
30-04-2010, 08:44 AM
hydroponics has very little to do with lighting systems and everything to do with water.

So the plants get watered and then get iced?

Twelvevolts
30-04-2010, 07:47 PM
All this will be as successful as prohibition was for alcohol, they should just legalise everything and let them all get on with it.

Poo
06-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Money doesn't grow on trees.................. Unless you're a 'Switched On Gardener' ....................

:lol:

pctek
07-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Lets just hope they now target car dealers for selling gear that enables people to speed.

And knife manufacturers - some people use them to commit crimes.

I bought a light from one of those places - I was growing tomatoes indoors. As usual, a few peoples activities cause a fuss affecting the majority who use it legitimately........