PDA

View Full Version : TelstraClear has truely amazed me!

illumy
28-04-2010, 02:33 AM
The reason I'm making this post is simply to let regular internet users like myself know how I was been treated by TelstraClear in the last 2 months and a half. I'm cool headed now but I think the least I can do is to share my personal experience to try and prevent this from happening to anybody in the future.

I asked to switch to TelstraClear over the phone from Orcon, my previous ISP sometimes during February this year. I was then told it would take 5~8 working days to have me switch over and get connected with them. I was also told by the person that I will be getting one month free broadband & local call and a free Wi-Fi Modem since they are running a special (old tricks I know), I happily agreed, this is when the nightmare started to happen.

2 weeks later I received a phone call from their representative telling me they require my authorization over the phone to allow Orcon switch my info to them, I listened to the lady to go through the authorization process over the phone and then being told it will now take another 5~7 working days to get me connected, I asked her why was that the case since I've already waited over 2 weeks but she explained to me they had something messed up during the process, I will just have to wait for them to schedule a technician for me, I unhappily accepted.

2 weeks later I'm still getting no signs of connecting notification from TelstraClear, I called them early that week fighting for my right to get an immediate connection because Orcon is about to charge me for another month of broadband & toll call fee. The first person I spoke to told me they had done something wrong "insert technical jargon" and they are now arranging a technician to do my connection, until they have a confirm date, I will just have to wait for that. I wasn't happy (shall I be?) and asked to speak to a superior person in-charge, I was refused. That's when I really starting to get pissed off by them. I called back again, this time the person I spoke to put my request through to their team manager. I received a call from this guy Straton later that day, he apologized nicely and admitted that previous person should have put my request right through since it was nothing tricky to quickly rearrange a technician for a schedule date. He told me he will get into the issue and workout a schedule for me, while I very much appreciated his manner, I told him I want my connection activate by the end of that week during 22th~28th of March because I'm about to get charged by Orcon for another month. Then I received an email on the 24th saying:

"We are pleased to confirm your request for new service is now underway..." Ok I get that, standard template, but now this is what flipped me out "You have requested the service be installed on Tuesday, 30 March 2010" I mean what the heck? I never did request to be installed on next Tueday after 1 month of waiting. They did further waive my connection fee of $99 to compensate the delay however. But that doesn't render the fact that this letter inappropriately put something down in writing that wasn't requested. Now this paragraph came into usage later on by them, just read on.

I called TelstraClear immediately, waited over the phone for 30mins+ (because their Automated Phone Answering System never gets you to the right department) to ask to speak to someone directly in-charge of the situation since Straton was unreachable. I was told I would be contacted before 7pm that day, it never happened. I called the next day, same luck, every time I put my request through asked to speak to somebody about having a sooner schedule date, their standard procedure is to ask you to wait for another 24 hours and within that period you will be contacted but it doesn't always happen so this dragged all the way into Friday. I was finally contacted and be told that there's nothing they can do to speed up the process, this is just the way it is, I was also later on contacted by Straton that the letter saying "You have requested the service to be installed on blah blah blah" was a standard template and he apologized for how it might appeared to me, what else can I say except to accept that? On the following Tuesday on 30th of March, I got the technician to come to my apartment and have it connected, I thought this will be the end of story. I was terribly wrong.

Not a bit of surprise, I was charged by Orcon for another month of broadband and phone-line fee of $138.73 from 23rd of March, I wasn't happy but I doubt TelstraClear will compensate me for that and I was seriously tired of the waiting I have to put through with their awesome Automated Phone Answering System which never seems to put you directly to the right department you want it to go through (try speaking New Homeplan or New Homeplan Customer Service if you don't believe me). So I'm prepared to pay for this myself.

On a side note, I never received my free Wi-Fi modem after a week of connection so I called up and asked, their staff told me it was never mentioned in their order system, ok what now, this guy then put the order through which I finally received it 2 weeks after 30th of March.

Then here comes Orcon yesterday emailing me a new bill $155.01 from 23rd of April for their broadband and land-line fee. What...the...heck? I rang TelstraClear and after - 30mins of waiting and transferring to the RIGHT department - person from New Homeplan Customer Service told me they had notified Orcon sometimes before the connection got switched over to TelstraClear, I need to sort it out with Orcon. I then called Orcon, their staff told me there was NEVER any notification came from TelstraClear telling about my switch of service and close of account, hence the bills was charged. I need to pay the bills and ask TelstraClear to have the amount credit to me since it's not their fault they weren't notified. I'm about to cry now, I called TelstraClear and after - 30mins of waiting and transferring to the RIGHT department - I got to speak to someone only to be told they would have notified Orcon on the 25th of March before my connection scheduled to be activated, I need to sort my bills with Orcon myself and that is it. I called again and this time spoke to someone with nice manner from their team, whom explained patiently to me how she will forward my concern to their leader if I fax my Orcon bill statement to them and try her best to sort the problem out while I was semi-flipping out, I calmed down a bit and agreed.

The next day, which was today, I received a call from their duty manager Sharlene, she initially told me they will pay for my $50 something bill and that's it. I wasn't happy and asked what about the April bill which was $155.01? She rechecked the bill and said they will only pay for the April broadband fee which I have been charged by Orcon but not the land-line fee during 23rd of March~22th of April, I said to her by looking at the bill, there's no way for me to spent 130mins of talking on land-line if it was charged only from 23rd of March to 30th of March, which was when I got officially connected to TelstraClear. Hence this bill is also consisting period of land-line fee from 30th of March onwards, which I shouldn't be held eligible for paying that as well. She refused and said that's not something they can negotiate with Orcon into, I have to sort it out myself and find out whether those bills were before or after 30th of March. I understand that but I thought they should at least do the talking directly to Orcon instead of me calling back and forth between 2 companies each blaming each other. While I explained to her how I waited over 1 month to be finally connected to TelstraClear on the 30th of March because of them screwing me up with my schedule and because of this I want them to sort it out with Orcon, she told me it was never mentioned about this wrong doing of theirs in their system, she told me it showed in the system that "I requested to be connected on the 30th of March" and they received the request on the 25th of March, but they are willing to pay for my April broadband cost from Orcon only. I asked her how can they miss something that clearly happened to me from their record, she told me there's nothing she can do because there's nothing in their system record and it will still be this way if I speak to other people because there is NOTHING showing in their system, she's just looking at what's in their record. I totally flipped out, how can they say that after I have been putting through all this time of waiting and still being treated like this? Something like "I'm sorry but it's nothing showing in our system so this is all I can do" doesn't automatically erase all the things that went terribly wrong for their customer. After a while of flipping out, I asked her to write me an official email stating what was being discussed today over the phone because I no longer have any trust in their record system, she initially refused, but finally agreed after I insisted, this is what she sent me:

HI Jeremy

As requested here is confirmation of what we have discussed

- you joined up with us as per our notes on the 5th March
- you were eventually connected with us as of the 30th March
- I will give you a $106.62 credit for the period where ORCON charged you for services in April, but not for the Toll calls you made with them

I apologise for the delay in getting services over to us - but as I explained you will need to contact ORCON for any further billing issued with them as we cannot do this for you.

I guess this is it, I'm looking into other ISP options as of speaking, as I recalled my memory, I also remember that I once asked Straton, another manager of theirs, was it my fault that I had to go through all these extended waiting? He replied, "No, absolutely not and I apologize for all the waiting you have to put through...". This might not be the exact words about what he said to me, but "No, absolutely not" was definitely what he told me.

Shall I be treated this way, I don't know, maybe IT IS my fault after all and I'm just being psycho, but I seriously hope this personal experience of mine will prevent it from happening to anybody in the future. So at the end of day, I will be paying my ~$200 bills from Orcon stating from 23rd of March onwards after I initially asked to sign up with TelstraClear during mid/late February, let that be a reminder.

Renmoo
28-04-2010, 04:50 AM
I did not read the entire post above, but should you feel that you have reached a stalemate after lengthy phonecalls to both TelstraClear and Orcon, help is within reach @ Telecommunication Dispute Resolution: http://www.tdr.org.nz

illumy
28-04-2010, 04:54 AM
Yes I'm filing a TDR complaint form basing on this experience but what really got me into writing this is the unimaginable bad services I've received particularly from this last manager I've spoken to.

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2010, 08:04 AM
TelstraClear customer service truly sucks, worse than even Xnet, and it has done-so for YEARS now.

It's a shame you had to learn the hard way :(

Why switch *from* Orcon, their service is usually top-notch?

Gobe1
28-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Jeez illumy, good post, sorry to hear about the troubles. Good luck

illumy
28-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I kept getting disconnections from them, at a much worse rate than ever, before I was using Vodafone fine (but 40g without additional data purchase available wasn't quite enough for me after all these years with them), but it's probably just my old modem as I come to realise recently that it only supported ADSL1 and Orcon is on ADSL2+, that might be why the disconnections kept on happening, I'm still not sure though?

coldot
28-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Illumy you have my sympathy.
My story: In late 2004 I switched from paradise.net.nz and Clear (now TelstraClear) to Telecom. Monthly invoices from T/C told me about my credit of $5.28.
Phoned them in 2005: “refund the $5.28, please?”
T/C: “Give us your bank account number”
Me: “No thanks, send cash, stamps, cheque or whatever. Shall I come in to collect cash?”
T/C: “No way. Only with bank account details.”
So in the past 5˝ years they have posted 66 monthly invoices telling me about my account with a credit balance. :illogical Is this a record?

illumy
28-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, clearly their system is fraud and they have too much money to spend on other things instead of figuring out what went wrong and fix their broken customer service team and system.

smithie 38
28-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Hasn't TelstraClear been voted best ISP 2 years in a row?? Somebody must love them

fred_fish
28-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I do. :wub

Have been with them for years.
Never had a bad experience with their customer support.
Phone wait times - acceptable / expected.
TV - no worse than Sky :)
Cable connection - always solid. Was getting a bit slow (4Mb down / 2Mb up) for the price, compared to the new ADSL2+ plans, but up to 10Mb / 2Mb now (and 100Mb in the works I hear :drool)

KarameaDave
28-04-2010, 01:21 PM
+1...I too have nothing but good experiences
with Telstraclear, would never go back to slingshot though,
they were a bunch of inept morons.
(I hear Docsis3 by June?)

Pato
28-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I also have been with them for years and have been completely satisfied with the service.

Trev
28-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I changed from Slingshot to Actrix about 4 years ago online. One of the questions asked by Actrix on there site was are you changing from another ISP which I said yes. On the next page was a list of all NZ IPS's which I selected Slingshot and was changed over to Actrix at midnight that same day/night.
:)

illumy
28-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Yea that's very lucky for you people that got good experiences with TelstraClear.

But where in my situation, I was totally screwed over again and again by TelstraClear and in the end all I got was "Sorry it didn't happen because it's not in our system", "Sorry nothing I can do because it wasn't mentioned in our record system, too bad", I guess I'm just imagining myself going a lot of illusions and talking into thin air to be deserved to pay Orcon for services I didn't even used. Thanks to TelstraClear, really great support!

robbyp
28-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Any ISP, or any retailer for that matter, is usually good, until you have a problem and need to contact them. That is when the rubber really hits the road. Telstra has actually acknoledged that they have problems with people viewing youtube videos, and they have also had a number of articles recently written about them about their customer service and the wait times, nd now look to be moving their call centre offshore.

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Lucky you're not with Xnet, the phone doesnt even ring sometimes / its overloaded :lol: So, if you do have a prob, you're on your own. Till they fix it.

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I kept getting disconnections from them, at a much worse rate than ever, before I was using Vodafone fine (but 40g without additional data purchase available wasn't quite enough for me after all these years with them), but it's probably just my old modem as I come to realise recently that it only supported ADSL1 and Orcon is on ADSL2+, that might be why the disconnections kept on happening, I'm still not sure though?

Sounds more like your modem to me.
What make / model is it?

See here: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

illumy
28-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I find it quite amazing to hear these problems happening and experiencing things myself that's unimaginable and intolerable in other developed or even developing countries, there shall really be a way to publicly punish these companies somehow for treating paid customers like pitiful trouble makers and pretend nothing happened, because really, whatever I said or do even going through filing process at TDR won't do them harm, they just don't give a d*** about us or me in this case. Do they care what we said about them here? I highly doubt that.

illumy
28-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Sounds more like your modem to me.
What make / model is it?

See here: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

It was a Plexuscom 8 years+ old model and I was also using a pretty old model of Dynalink wireless router. I chucked them away recently after I purchased a new Wireless Asus 300M 802.11n ADSL2/2+ Router. So yes I think that could be the reason how I kept getting disconnections when I was using Orcon. O well, it's too late now for me to test it.

But ever since I changed to this new Asus router while using TelstraClear, I've been getting every-5-mins-disconnections on last Saturday (The day I changed over), Sunday (I called them on Sunday to ask about this problem), but not Monday, then yesterday again until I called them up again, and it's not happening last night till now. Although they told me it appeared normal in their trace monitoring program, I think they must had changed some settings on my account otherwise why the coincidence? The person I spoke to on Sunday asked me to try and use a ADSL1 modem instead but I only have this ADSL2/2+ after I chucked my old one out, not sure if it has anything to do with ADSL1 or ADSL2/2+ connections...

robbyp
28-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I did not read the entire post above, but should you feel that you have reached a stalemate after lengthy phonecalls to both TelstraClear and Orcon, help is within reach @ Telecommunication Dispute Resolution: http://www.tdr.org.nz

Orcon pulled out of that, so that could be a waste of time.

illumy
28-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't blame Orcon at all, it's TelstraClear and only them.

robbyp
28-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't blame Orcon at all, it's TelstraClear and only them.

Yes, but they could blame orcon.

Personally I think you made an error by not contacting orcon to cancel your account with them. It appears you assumed Telstra would do all that for you, but legally, I believe only the account owner can do that. Perhaps Telstra didn't provide enough information on switching. When I switched from Slingshot, I phoned them to cancel the account myself. It didn't however prevent them still mucking it up and keeping my account active, but that sort of poor service is why I left slingshot, not to mention that they never replied to emails.

illumy
28-04-2010, 05:44 PM
If that's the case, does that render TDR useless and a piece of joke?

Is the only way left for me to fight for my right in through dispute tribunal?

robbyp
28-04-2010, 05:53 PM
If that's the case, does that render TDR useless and a piece of joke?

Is the only way left for me to fight for my right in through dispute tribunal?

The disputes tribunal is IMHO perhaps the best way, as the TDR is only voluntarily and not all ISPs have to join it. The only advantage of the TDR is that you don't have to pay. To get to the TDR, you have to reach a deadlock, and telstra clear have to give you a deadlock number. I guess it can't do any harm first trying the TDR. Have you got a deadlock number? They will probably want to resolve it before you get to that stage.

illumy
28-04-2010, 06:17 PM
No I thought I can file the complaint to TDR straight like that, so I need to ask TelstraClear for a deadlock number right? Is that all I need or?

robbyp
28-04-2010, 06:33 PM
No I thought I can file the complaint to TDR straight like that, so I need to ask TelstraClear for a deadlock number right? Is that all I need or?

The TDR will ask for a deadlock number, otherwise they will ask you to go back to telstra for one. At least that is the process it used to be. You would probably need to ask them.

Renmoo
28-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Orcon pulled out of that, so that could be a waste of time.
Thanks for letting me know, Robby :)

robbyp
28-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for letting me know, Robby :)

I see this is also being discussed on geekzone http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=44&topicid=60550

SP8's
28-04-2010, 08:22 PM
:2cents: Hate doing things by phone for obvious reasons .... use e-mail and get it in writing = proof of who is responsible for what action, especially in a contract !

illumy
28-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I see this is also being discussed on geekzone http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=44&topicid=60550

Yea no kidding, if there's other popular ISP discussion forums available in NZ, I would make this post on everyone of them. As frustrated as I was after being told off by their duty manager Sharlene, I wanted to warn as many people as possible so my disgusting experience with TelstraClear will not be worthless after all.

narutophantom
28-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I think your problems with disconnections on Orcon is due to interleaving being turned off, this trade speeds and a more stable connection for a lower ping. Orcon leave it off by default.

robbyp
28-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Yea no kidding, if there's other popular ISP discussion forums available in NZ, I would make this post on everyone of them. As frustrated as I was after being told off by their duty manager Sharlene, I wanted to warn as many people as possible so my disgusting experience with TelstraClear will not be worthless after all.

The most popular forums in NZ are the trademe message boards.

illumy
28-04-2010, 11:18 PM
The most popular forums in NZ are the trademe message boards.

Good call! Never knew they have a message board, better start using it now :thumbs:

B.M.
28-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Here you go, all explained. :lol: :crying

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/telecommunications/news/article.cfm?c_id=93&objectid=10640590

illumy
28-04-2010, 11:50 PM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/telecommunications/news/article.cfm?c_id=93&objectid=10640590

This is all very pleasing to read, can we chuck tomatoes into their faces now?

Billy T
29-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Telstra-Clear came knocking while I was out. My wife caught the guy peering through our french doors some distance from the front door so I laid an official complaint with TC, when I finally got through to them that is. To their credit, they took it seriously and called back after interviewing the guy. Outcome was acceptable to us.

I use Orcon to host my domain name and business email, costs me less than $6 per month.

I'm with Telecom for phones and internet and their service has never let me down, an exchange failure that killed my dsl was fixed well ahead of scheduled time (and in less than 24 hours) my costs are low and they never pester me.

I'd never consider changing for some temporary benefit or financial inducement, better the devil you know and trust.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

DUNK
29-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Been with "Clear" since '99. Dial-Up, Cable & now (down here) PDQ. Never had a hassle with them. Even found the "helpdesk" to be very helpful.WHEN you get through to them !!

illumy
29-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Well, that's good for you, unfortunately I got worse luck.

6ix
29-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I have had some shockers from telstra... Once they "upgraded" my cable for free. Took me from 128 to 256, but neglected to tell me they were removing the 1/10th national traffic plan - oh and they forgot to xfer my pop details to the new ip server..

Kept getting "connection refused by server" and an error code. Customer service was rubbish - they wouldnt listen to the fact that it was a server side error - I mentioned it was happening on several computers but in the end, I was told to.. get this.. "Reinstall my microsoft". I could send emails to other telstra / paradise accounts - but no-one else!!

Man I was frustrated, fired off a nasty email to helpdesk and they fixed it quickly..

Then when I moved we had an agreed connection date: that came & went - after phone calls it turns out we had been forgotten. Another week later the line was connected but no "free modem" supplied!! More calls - yep that had been forgotten too.

good luck illumy - I cant believe the service we get as paying customers.. as soon as I can afford the radio gear - I'm going with the local rural wireless company!

Gobe1
29-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Jeez and they are not even cheap???

Chilling_Silence
29-04-2010, 10:44 AM

What's really tragic is the "Have you tried restarting your router" is *so* common, it just shows what crap routers ISP's have been giving out. I'm sure a lot of people, if they were aware of what they were getting themselves in to, would simply fork out $150 on sign-up for a nice ADSL2+ router like the NB6Plus4Wn that they don't HAVE to worry about restarting every second day.

I've not restarted my router in over 180 days now (AM300 + WRT54GL running Tomato), even though the DHCP lease gets renewed once every 3 days, it all just ticks over nicely ... and I *hammer* my connection more than 9/10 medium-sized businesses would even. Lets face it, some are better than others, and what ISP's give out is crap, so they bring it upon themselves. Not just TelstraClear for that matter ...

Yeah the customers could try restarting their router prior to ringing but you can't blame the customers for all this, and nor can they blame "growing pains". They've had these growing pains for around 2+ years EASILY now.

I fail to see how they've won "Best ISP" or whatever for years in a row now ..

Safari
29-04-2010, 11:07 AM
There are all sort of reasons why a router may need to be restarted, not always due to an issue with the modem. Telecom are continually doing upgrades and other work in their network and exchanges and and a modem restart is needed to get broadband working again.
Problems with internal wiring, jackpoints and not using filters on all phones can all cause a modem to trip off line occasionally and restarting the modem restores the connection and the problem may not occur for several days.

What is the big deal with restarting a modem anyway, it can sometimes give a faster speed as well with a restart. It is no different to any other electronic applience that is not operating normally, first thing to do is turn it off completely and restart it.

I turn my computer and modem off every night, why would you leave it on if it is not being used.
I don't suppose you leave your TV going all night so why treat computers, modems and printers any different.

Erayd
29-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I fail to see how they've won "Best ISP" or whatever for years in a row now ..They keep winning that because their cable network is outstanding, and for the most part beats the socks off DSL. Admittedly their customer support sucks, but generally on cable you don't need it (thankfully).

Unfortunately the same can't be said for their ADSL service...

robbyp
29-04-2010, 02:35 PM

They actually make telecom look good. Actually I can't complain about telecom, because they do provide good customer service, and don't put you on hold for 30 minutes or more.

FAB
29-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I do seem to recall a post I made on this very subject, titled something like: "Telstra Clear - best ISP, worst service."
I have yet to be answered before 30 minutes, no matter what time of the day or what day I am calling.

But - cable broadband rocks, so they have me as a customer.