PDA

View Full Version : SWMBO: You're fired.

WalOne
27-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Just returned from doing a stint of shopping at the local Countdown, with the resolve that SWMBO can let me take over the shopping from now on.

At least, until I get tired of it, or something else comes along to amuse me :lol:

You see, you get to check out your own goodies - press buttons on a press screen, cancel the transactions, swipe your cards, enter in if you want cash out etc - and pack your own bag. Sounds tedious, but when I went through, there were three of us blokes fascinated with the system, a new toy to take the drudgery out of shopping ....

But then when I got home I got challenged with what took me so long (it took me about 10 minutes to figure the system out). Can't win.

Later, when I get tired of the new toy, I may have to reinstate SWMBO to her proper station in life and duties. But for the time being, she's fired.

Cato
27-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Meh, I'm too lazy. New World has had these for a while, I think. Saw them a few months ago.
Too lazy and busy to try. A lot quicker to have someone else do **** for me.

pctek
27-04-2010, 05:24 PM
More unemployment.

And when it works it's OK but it screws up often and drives you crazy while a human comes to sort it.

KarameaDave
27-04-2010, 05:33 PM
The console will not, however, respond to my inconsequential
blatherings about the weather etc,
(mind you, half the staff don't either).:D

WalOne
27-04-2010, 06:00 PM
The console will not, however, respond to my inconsequential
blatherings about the weather etc,
(mind you, half the staff don't either).:D

:lol:

Cato
27-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Oh and you can't buy smokes with one of those. So no, I won't be using one.

WalOne
27-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh and you can't buy smokes with one of those. So no, I won't be using one.

Yeah. And a bottle of wine.

It started to look so good for a while. :(

tuiruru
27-04-2010, 08:24 PM
"Meh, I'm too lazy. New World has had these for a while, I think. Saw them a few months ago.
Too lazy and busy to try. A lot quicker to have someone else do **** for me."

All we've got at our New World is 6 "manned" (by the opposite gender) checkouts, but at least they pack the bags and give you a cheerful smile and comment!

R2x1
27-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Never had a problem with the local New World ones, been using it for 12 or 14 months now, we are used to each other. It would be worth an extra $1 on the bill if it wouldn't deliver that crap about fly buys though.
At least with human operators when they spout that I can stare intently into their eyes and say "Your sexual habits are your own affair, but please don't expect me to go buying flies". It isn't often necessary to deliver the message a second time unless you get a new operator to be trained.

Ice Road Trucker
28-04-2010, 12:50 PM
The Shop n Go at Pak n Save is good. The only thing is sometimes they want to rescan your groceries and that is a pain if you have to be somewhere

MAC_H8ER
28-04-2010, 03:25 PM
those new self checkouts are awesome

when they first brought them into invercargill they had a bug - if you rushed through the eftpos option and hit PIN and enter buttons too fast it would sorta lock up and after 30 seconds go "Transaction failed - please take your shopping and have a nice day"

too bad they fixed that up :devil

Jen
28-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I like them. :wub

I do think their search function for non-barcoded products needs improving. I had a butternut that was eventually found listed under "P" (for pumpkin).

There is something about scanning your own barcodes, weighing your veges and then paying without having to go through a normal checkout line that is so geeky. :D

... maybe I need to get out more. :illogical

R2x1
29-04-2010, 12:31 AM
You have your own checkouts at home? That IS geeky!