PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

aidanmaz
27-04-2010, 02:30 PM
My boss paid a substainal sum for a MS office 2003 CD, but it seems to an "all in one" with ms project, office, frontpage etc all on the one cd. As far as i know MS wouldnt bundle it all on the same cd.(see attachment pics). It uses the corporate keys, so im assuming its illegal. Can i refuse to install and work with the software if i am the IT person?

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Looks like there's a program made by MS, called cdimage. And this will compress / create an ISO, that can / will burn to a CDR (the ISO it creates can be bigger than a CDR). Whoever created that may have used it

Whoever made it, may have done something like this (http://www.msfn.org/board/slipstream-office-2003-rebuild-t51225.html)

Sweep
27-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I have no idea as to whether or not you have original media issued by Microsoft.

Does the CD/DVD have a hologram? If not then that would be a clue.

As to the second question you can refuse to install if it is not legal software and in itself that would not be grounds for dismissal.

aidanmaz
27-04-2010, 02:45 PM
ah
the keys look very familiar (back in the days when i was trying illegeal stuff)

wainuitech
27-04-2010, 02:57 PM
One way I check to see if the keys are illegal --

Enter the complete key into a Google search.
Most of the time, if its illegal, you will get results. IF you dont find anything, its "usually" OK

Seen those CD's many times from people who claim to have been given them by mates AND ARE LEGIT-- YEAH RIGHT.

Gonna take a guess here - is one of the product keys start off with GWH2? (last number left off on purpose, as it will bring up the full key)

BTW - if you have legit keys you can install, as long as the legal key is corporate.

Ice Road Trucker
27-04-2010, 03:03 PM
That looks illegal to me. Look at second image in the OP's attachments

Nomad
27-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Supplied by Bill Gates, packaged by zero_cool :lol:

If you bought a auth. software - have you seen the boxes and the hologram CD :rolleyes:

Sweep
27-04-2010, 03:29 PM
ah
the keys look very familiar (back in the days when i was trying illegeal stuff)

So then the next question is do you do what the Boss wants you to do or not?

Your choice.

nmercer
27-04-2010, 03:40 PM
looks like pirated software to me

kamo1
27-04-2010, 03:43 PM
From the images, I can see nothing wrong with it. You have to run the CD & install it and it should validate if it's genuine. If not it will tell you and stop the application from running and also have an icon in the system tray for you to get genuine software.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Umm no, not always. If the key is for that version, it'll still install. Not all versions of office validate during the install (actually I dont think any do, unless 2010 does). But you may have to activate it after its installed. So you can use it. And it MAY not say its not genuine, unless the office validation file has been installed

wainuitech
27-04-2010, 03:56 PM
From the images, I can see nothing wrong with it. You have to run the CD & install it and it should validate if it's genuine. If not it will tell you and stop the application from running and also have an icon in the system tray for you to get genuine software. Highlighted section- obviously you have never seen the actual Install CD - I have,if its the same ones I have seen many times, its obvious its not a MS CD.

It would install fine, as soon as you try to run any updates its then it throws up not genuine, being a corporate key it is pre-activated.

If you scrolled down the release notes, you will see the product keys - MS dont do that -They also dont have on the bottom of their agreements/notes " Brought to you by the crew at #BETAS - xBetas.com"

Nomad
27-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Some of the fakes I heard, you can install it with the provided serial #, the software is modified that activation does not come up. It's a free license.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Umm well thats not quite true either. Even if it is pirated, it doesnt mean updates wont install. Most, or all updates will. It'll probably say its not genuine, ONCE OGA is installed

bevy121
27-04-2010, 05:40 PM
LOL! - Posted 22 September 2003

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/102537-ms-office-2003-aio/page__p__1184374#entry1184374

chiefnz
27-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I can say that MS don't sell a CD which incorporates the products the OP has stated, well at least not when I asked about it last year. Given the images I would say the software is pirated.

As for not installing due to possible piracy, if I were you I would take the same stance.

You could verify the license key with MS to see if it's legit?

Cheers,

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Install Office Genuine Advantage. Install with the key. Simple.

Regardless of where the medium came from, MS don't really care quite so much, provided the key used is legit and (generally) stays with the one PC.

gary67
28-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I had one of those it was a DVD that came from the local Polytech when I was studying, the first picture was identical It did have Project and Visio on it, it also included the key. I later learnt it wasn't actually from the polytech as such but had been put together by them. It did pass OGA for about 2 years though until I replaced it with a genuine copy of 2007

inphinity
28-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Some of the TechNet Beta / RC releases come as an all-in-one, but that certainly doesn't appear to be genuine just from reading the release notes in the image.

However, as some others have said, if it gives you the opportunity to input your genuine product key, it should be fine from a legal standpoint.

If it doesn't allow you to enter your own product key, I would not be installing it.

wainuitech
28-04-2010, 10:01 AM
As mentioned earlier- a easy way - paste the Key into a google search, IF its a known illegal key it will show up instantly.

waldok
28-04-2010, 09:42 PM
For what it's worth, it is definitely counterfeit software.

Given that a lot of pirated software has malware or buggy hacks slipped in with it and the fact it's unlawful, I wouldn't be using it.

In case you need it to convince your boss, there's a page here with some information about how to tell what's genuine and how your boss could report it here if they want to help Microsoft take action against the person who sold this: http://www.microsoft.com/nz/piracy/default.mspx

cheers
W

6ix
29-04-2010, 12:08 PM
You boss is a fool.

It's BETA software!!

Erayd
29-04-2010, 12:38 PM
...It's BETA software!!
No it's not - it's warez. Pirated software plain and simple, and should be avoided.

Ice Road Trucker
29-04-2010, 02:24 PM
No it's not - it's warez. Pirated software plain and simple, and should be avoided.

And it would contain lots of nasty things such as viruses etc

Erayd
29-04-2010, 02:35 PM
And it would contain lots of nasty things such as viruses etc
*Might* contain lots of nasty things. Still not a smart idea to use it though.

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2010, 09:12 AM
You boss is a fool.

It's BETA software!!

I would be careful being a newbie to forums and calling somebody a fool. That in itself can be *very* foolish.

JJJJJ
30-04-2010, 09:45 AM
The line "supplied by Bill Gates" should be enough to convince anyone it's as phony as a $2 watch.

6ix
30-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I would be careful being a newbie to forums and calling somebody a fool. That in itself can be *very* foolish.

Fair call - but the OP's first sentence kinda sets off alarm bells with "My boss paid a substainal sum for a MS office 2003 CD"

Where he got it from I wonder? if it came from trademe he has recourse - and I doubt several thousand ringgit is a substancial sum if you get my drift.

forums12345
16-05-2010, 01:56 PM
its ****

pctek
16-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Supplied by Bill Gates, packaged by zero_cool :lol:

Yep. LOL.:lol:

Renmoo
16-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Fair call - but the OP's first sentence kinda sets off alarm bells with "My boss paid a substainal sum for a MS office 2003 CD"

Where he got it from I wonder? if it came from trademe he has recourse - and I doubt several thousand ringgit is a substancial sum if you get my drift.
He could have got it unknowingly from pasar malam, you know.

If you get my drift.