PDA

View Full Version : Is this as serious as it seems?

whitts
27-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey,

After a power failure the other day my PC (Windows XP) loads to the "safe mode screen" and after i press anyone of the selections it loads for a bit appears likes its going to boot up windows then automatically restarts itself.

This happens continuously, and i have done changed anything (hardware or software) it was only after the power outage.

I have tried safe mode, normal ect...none of them work, i am afraid the hard drive may have gone or something worse.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Does last known good config work? Someone maybe corrupt. I cant remember if the auto restart option is there after you press F8. If it is select it.

whitts
27-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Last known config doesnt work.

I pressed f8 and selected disable automatic restart on system failure and it said: "Unmountable_boot_volume" with a blue screen and writing.

Seem ominous?

wratterus
27-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Get an XP disk, boot off the disk into the recovery console, hit 1, hit enter, hit enter again and run chkdsk /r

whitts
27-04-2010, 01:48 PM
So i attempted to do as suggested and as it was in the process of loading recovery, the system restarted again.

Any other ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2010, 01:58 PM
You may have to remove the hdd, and put it in a working system, then scan it for errors. If its IDE, jumper it properly first

wainuitech
27-04-2010, 02:00 PM
i attempted to do as suggested and as it was in the process of loading recovery, the system restarted again. If it wont even boot off of a CD, then it sounds a little like there has been some sort of Hardware damage, as it hasn't even got to the HDD yet.

Its not usually when the power goes off the damage is done (not good for a HDD suddenly crashing though) but when the power comes back on - if you get a surge ( and it only takes a split second), you can fry or damage components - hence the need for power protection in the form of a GOOD Surge protector or UPS.

The PSU could have taken a hit (surge) and as soon as any load comes on it cuts out.

I'd try changing the PSU for one that's known to be good first.

wratterus
27-04-2010, 02:04 PM
So i attempted to do as suggested and as it was in the process of loading recovery, the system restarted again.

Any other ideas?

Just a quick thought I had - when exactly did it reboot? Before you got to the screen where you choose which repair/installation option you want (http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/CC.gif), or when the recovery console was actually loading? Cause if you hit enter instead of pressing 1 when it asks which installation would you like to log on to, it will reboot.

I doubt that's the issue, just though I'd double check. :) If not, just follow Wainui's instructions in his last post.

whitts
27-04-2010, 04:17 PM
It was when it was actually loading e.g. hadn't given me the opportunity to select an option.

I don't have another PSU nor does anyone i know (pretty much all laptops), so i guess i am at a stage where i will have to take it into a shop. I live in Wellington City so can anybody recommended me a reputable place to get it checked out?

wainuitech
27-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Send me a PM if you want, I own my own PC business.

Might be able to get it done this week, flat out as a one armed paper hanger at the moment.

Sweep
27-04-2010, 10:07 PM
It was when it was actually loading e.g. hadn't given me the opportunity to select an option.

I don't have another PSU nor does anyone i know (pretty much all laptops), so i guess i am at a stage where i will have to take it into a shop. I live in Wellington City so can anybody recommended me a reputable place to get it checked out?

I would consider a certain place in Wainuiomata to be reputable. Take the box over the hill after you PM him. :2cents:

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 10:04 PM
A Conclusion to this Problem.

As the title asked ?

YEP it was.

The Power Supply was spiking/ putting out higher voltage than it should for a few seconds every so often. In the end the power supply finally quit while I was testing it.

The spikes were "zapping" the Motherboard every couple of minutes, which in turn VERY badly corrupted the OS.

Put on a known good PSU and for a few moments it started from a live CD, and I could read the data - then all you heard was "pop pop pop" --- Rassssp :yuck:

Luckily the rest of the hardware was OK.

New PSU/Motherboard and reinstall - all flying along happy now.

Sweep
16-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Great!

Paul.Cov
17-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I had exactly this episode myself earlier this month, although not diagnosed with the accuracy that Wainui has used.

My XP Pro (games machine) suddenly started to fail to load Windows. It rarely gets access to the internet, so malware seemed highly unlikely.

Restore points did not help to get it to fully load windows. Only Safe mode was available... and then safe mode started to fail to load.

I pulled it apart on a search for bad caps. One bulging on the GPU, and two bulging in the PSU.

A little bit of soldering, and its working again, but I resorted to formatting C: and reinstalling the OS.

Amasing how the software gets munted by the power issues.