PDA

View Full Version : Where woudl you buy a computer part ?

Digby
26-04-2010, 07:23 PM
If you were going to buy a part for your computer where would you go ?

R2x1
26-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Glenfield or Milford

somebody
26-04-2010, 07:25 PM
It depends. Some items I'll buy from Ascent, others I'll buy from a less reputable retailer (generally lower value items where I don't care about the warranty); some I'd even get off Trademe if the price is right.

Cato
26-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't buy from trademe or online only stores. I actually like to be able to walk into a store.

Like that C1 place they used to have. My emails kept being ignored etc. I walked into their store and sorted everything out in 5 mins. Would never use them again, but if it doesn't have a store I wouldn't touch it at all.

Lizard
26-04-2010, 07:30 PM
I was recommended to try out Computer Lounge last year when I was building a new computer. I never regretted using them, and pretty much every part I've bought since then has been from CL. They have great service, product knowledge, and know the value of engaging with their customers. They might be a little pricier than other places, but if something goes wrong, I know they will look after me.

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Down the road. There's a shop down the road or 3 the other way. Or go into town. Since I dont have any way of buying online anyway. Only thing I dont like about CL is, if you dont buy online its more. Too bad if you live 5-10 mins by bus from it.

pcuser42
26-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Ascent normally, but for old parts (like SDRAM) I use TradeMe.

gary67
26-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Need to be able to make more than one selection, Ascent or local shop depends how much of a hurry it is and if the locals have it in stock

Ice Road Trucker
26-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I'd rather go to my local PC store than buy online.

If there is any problems I can take the item back and get it sorted.

Digby
26-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I did not give multiple choices, as I wanted to find out your first choice.

ryanjames.powell
26-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Playtech, every time. They always have competitive pricing, and their customer service is great.

And yes, I agree, steer well clear of places like C1 Shoppingmall, which aren't that much cheaper anyway, and you can guarantee they won't honour your warantee.

jwil1
26-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't buy from trademe or online only stores. I actually like to be able to walk into a store.

+1

Ascent is the exception to this rule though :D (yes I know they have premises, but you can't browse items there)

R2x1
26-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I go to Playtech or Jaycar locally simply because I like to browse a little there as well, the staff are agreeable, don't push something just because head office says they have to and they don't doge around on warranty. On line is fine, except if it is a signature required delivery, I am tied down to being by the door for a day or three.

hueybot3000
26-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I have 100% trust in my local, will only shop online if its heaps cheaper or the local doesnt have it in stock/ doesnt sell it

Cato
26-04-2010, 10:17 PM
+1

Ascent is the exception to this rule though :D (yes I know they have premises, but you can't browse items there)

Always do my research online before I get anything, so I never browse, just go pickup and walk away.

If I start browsing might start getting carried away...

wainuitech
26-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Thats a bit of a hard one - As I run my business - so I buy from the suppliers at wholesale - mostly the same place as all the other shops. ;)

beeswax34
26-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Ascent or PB Tech

pablo d
27-04-2010, 09:24 AM
but my local pc shop is also an online shop! poll dilemma!!!

P.S. Playtech or Computer Lounge first choices

Ascent, iFocus, PBTech, or Paradigm PC second choices.

brig
28-04-2010, 05:23 AM
I'd rather go to my local PC store than buy online.

If there is any problems I can take the item back and get it sorted.

I don't know if you could get much better hassle free service than this....

2 years and 11 months after purchasing a PC from Ascent the motherboard died (ASUS M2NPV-VM).

I was on the point of ordering a new one when I happened to check back my original order. Lucky me, the M/B had a 3 year warranty.

A few days later Ascent supplied a new board that is now installed in this computer. No arguments or dramas, they accepted my description of the fault and the checks I'd done. All it cost was the courier fee sending the bust one back to their distributor and the new one was sent by return post.

I should add that my nearest local computer store is a 3 hour drive away