PDA

View Full Version : Bypass Telecom Big Time throttle!

Ollie
25-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Here is how to bypass the throttle on international lines at peak time.

1. Download flashget 1.9.6 or 1.73 version
http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm

2. Click new, type in the URL and in referrer type "www.youtube.com"
http://iforce.co.nz/i/qsacmcth.jpg

3. Click ok, and happy downloading!

I manage to get 2mb/s outside peak, but limited to around 1.5mb/s during peak.

Safari
25-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Are you trying to kill Big Time for everyone.

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Well I'll be damned... that works! I was super skeptical but thought I'd try it .... A file that I've been downloading from an international server of mine at 10KB/sec (gotta love that throttling) is now coming in at over 200KB/sec!

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Just thought I'd post a little more after doing a little more testing.

So I added the first file using the above method, it's flying down. So I pause it.
Added a second file of identical size from the same server (I have a lot of data I'm pulling down so I compressed and split the files) and I *didn't* add the referred URL, and this time it CRAWLS down.
Resume the first one and immediately the first one is back, flying down.

Did some more tests but generally that's the way that it goes.

Anyways, I know one of the guys who has influence over the traffic shaping, so enjoy this while it works, it probably won't last long ;)

Attached file: high_speed_bigtime.JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/high_speed_bigtime.JPG) (117 KB)

dagangsta
25-04-2010, 06:50 PM
What is "peak time" and also do you put youtube as the url as refferer?

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Peak time is any time from 9AM to 2AM

Yes, put www.youtube.com as the referrer regardless of what you're downloading

SP8's
25-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Oi .... my downloads going slower because of you two ! :annoyed:

Ollie
25-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Well I'll be damned... that works! I was super skeptical but thought I'd try it .... A file that I've been downloading from an international server of mine at 10KB/sec (gotta love that throttling) is now coming in at over 200KB/sec!

Haha, i've been using this method for months now thought i'd share

Oi .... my downloads going slower because of you two ! :annoyed:

Not sure what you mean.. are you even on big time?

Netsukeninja
25-04-2010, 08:59 PM
I think this trick will work for a lot of other domains too, like http://microsoft.com http://apple.com etc

Ollie
25-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I think this trick will work for a lot of other domains too, like http://microsoft.com http://apple.com etc

Yes it does, all the akamai downloads work with the referrer

wainuitech
25-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Whats the difference between 1.9.6 & the so called "latest" V3.3 ??

Huge gap in versions :confused:

Greven
25-04-2010, 09:25 PM
So they don't throttle anything that is cached on akamai? That seems entirely too sensible. Next thing you know they won't charge data usage on the normal plans for akamai content.

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2010, 09:32 PM
So they don't throttle anything that is cached on akamai? That seems entirely too sensible. Next thing you know they won't charge data usage on the normal plans for akamai content.

AFAIK Akamai is local, and all NZ-local traffic is unthrottled at all times.

Let's just say they're up the creek right now when it comes to their data management / monitoring :p

Ollie
25-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Whats the difference between 1.9.6 & the so called "latest" V3.3 ??

Huge gap in versions :confused:

3.3 contains lots of ads

1.9.6 only has an ad banner on the side

classic has no ads whatsoever

wainuitech
25-04-2010, 10:19 PM
^^^^^^^^^:thanks

moshpit77
26-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Is there any way to do this for normal web pages, not downloads?

Just wondering would it work so that sites like ustream and justin.tv actually play on big time

FlashZ
26-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Well done for posting this here, now geekzone knows so this work around will be patched soon.

Cheers for killing the only way for anyone to have internet faster than dial up.

bevy121
26-04-2010, 01:45 PM
the only way for anyone to have internet faster than dial up.

LOL

GameJunkie
26-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Well done for posting this here, now geekzone knows so this work around will be patched soon.

Cheers for killing the only way for anyone to have internet faster than dial up.

what does it matter that somehow geekzone knows??????

KarameaDave
26-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.

bonkiebonks
26-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I have Rapidshare premium account and have followed the steps, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all! I'm still limited to 120kB/sec!!!!! :mad:

SolMiester
26-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm down at 1.7mb/s.....LOL

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if someone from Telecom reads this. And does something about it :p I wouldnt advertise the fix on any site, on how to fix it.

Dont think Xnet throttle anything on Akaimai servers either. Since most downloads are data free. According to Xnet they're local somewhere. Pity it sucks 1/2 of the time :lol:

iceyp
26-04-2010, 03:01 PM
this wont last long at all

Ollie
26-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Don't worry bro, i know other ways to get around the shaping.. and not just for HTTP :thumbs:

Netsukeninja
26-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm surprised Telecom uses such a rudimentary system to throttle HTTP. If they "fix" this then won't YouTube/MS/Apple/etc go slow aswell?

narutophantom
26-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Anyone know how to do this in IDM? I have a lot of links queued up in there.

Ollie
26-04-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm surprised Telecom uses such a rudimentary system to throttle HTTP. If they "fix" this then won't YouTube/MS/Apple/etc go slow aswell?

Not sure, but i think they can use a port blocker to flashget

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2010, 06:20 PM
It also works for the DownThemAll plugin for Firefox :)

Dunno why FlashZ is crying, apparently Telecom know about this already?

Agent_24
26-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I have Rapidshare premium account and have followed the steps, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all! I'm still limited to 120kB/sec!!!!! :mad:

Don't complain, I am lucky to get 8KB/s out of it, even with this method.

(Changing referrer works fine for other sites for me, but Rapidshare is like dialup no matter what)

Raikyn
26-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Don't complain, I am lucky to get 8KB/s out of it, even with this method.

(Changing referrer works fine for other sites for me, but Rapidshare is like dialup no matter what)

Do you change the rapidshsare links to ip addresses as well?

FlashZ
26-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Im crying because you guys are idiots and shouldnt be posting information like this :D

Cats out of the bag now so you may as well enjoy it while it lasts, also 858GB and counting this month.

narutophantom
26-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Im crying because you guys are idiots and shouldnt be posting information like this :D

Cats out of the bag now so you may as well enjoy it while it lasts, also 858GB and counting this month.

Actually, the method was apparently "leaked" out a week or 2 ago on Gpforums, go check the big time thread.

FlashZ
26-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Leaked via pm, not exactly public now was it.

narutophantom
26-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I assume it was given to a user of GPforums via pm and then that user went on to leak it to others who in turn told everyone and telecom got word of it. So if as you say it has already been "leaked via pm" what is the harm now in telling everyone even if the benefits in speed are only minimal.

Sweep
26-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Leaked via pm, not exactly public now was it.

Usual story though. If more than one person knows then it's not a secret anymore if it ever was to begin with.

FlashZ
26-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Its why we cant have nice things.

narutophantom: Last I checked there was a clear difference between a small minority of people knowing something and posting the entire method in the public eye for everyone to see. Tbh, harm has been done and will be done once telecom finish their review for there new throttling management system.

Agent_24
26-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Do you change the rapidshsare links to ip addresses as well?

Yeah, but that never did anything either, even before the international speed limiting

somebody
26-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not on BigTime so can't test this, but what if you set up a transparent (or even non-transparent) proxy which fudges the referrer header so that it's always youtube; or one of the other referrers which work?

DeSade
26-04-2010, 10:06 PM

This is the reason it NEEDS to be throttled. Do you buy a new hard drive every month or do you just download content and delete it.

narutophantom
26-04-2010, 10:25 PM
This is the reason it NEEDS to be throttled. Do you buy a new hard drive every month or do you just download content and delete it.

Download movies in 1080p, if I like it, I'll archive it, if not I'll just delete it.

FlashZ
27-04-2010, 01:49 AM
1080p and 720p or if so suits complete Bluray discs, mind you I dont download just for myself. Sharing is caring :)

Erayd
27-04-2010, 03:00 AM
1080p and 720p or if so suits complete Bluray discs, mind you I dont download just for myself. Sharing is caring :)I'd love to know where you can legally find enough BD images to fill that quota... I'm willing to bet that those are all pirated.

Agent_24
27-04-2010, 08:36 AM

And I thought the 50GB I used on average was a lot :stare:

Nomad
27-04-2010, 10:49 AM
So much easier if they just delete Big Time. What you buy is what you get.

Or just maybe, throttle everything back to 256k for peak time and offpeak they could have their faster speeds which might be be true max. But then again this wouldn't be a plan for family, it would be the minor group of substantial users of high downloads. IMO it's giving the wrong incentive. It is like saying, daytime be like a avg person, email and web surf but then offpeak do all you want...

I am not a Telecom customer but I sure hope that only the funds by Big Time users are spent in that group. Ie., if I was paying for my exact GBs I want to know my dollars are spent in my own group.

@GP I read some actually downloaded over 2TB :stare: IMO I think if they introduce a controversial filter for pirated downloads, it would be help somewhat for the all you can use plans. Seriously, for all those data people use how much of it is legitimate?

I've known people who said they rather stay home, download pirated movies and save money on the movie tickets :rolleyes:

Nomad
27-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Telecom spokeswoman Emma-Kate Greer says recent traffic management software upgrades might have affected Big Time's performance.

Telecom is able to offer an all-you-can-eat plan only if it manages traffic, she says. Customers unhappy with Big Time can switch plans free of charge.

:D :p :clap

CYaBro
27-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Is there no Fair Use policy on the Big Time plan?
I would have thought they would have told you to move to another plan with that amount of data being downloaded!?

wratterus
27-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah that is plain stupid. It's people like you that screw up this type of plan for other sensible users.

nofam
27-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah that is plain stupid. It's people like you that screw up this type of plan for other sensible users.

^ x2

And like Erayd said, how many of those rips are legit?

To quote my man Scribe, "Not many - if any"

:groan:

wratterus
27-04-2010, 01:11 PM
And like Erayd said, how many of those rips are legit?

To quote my man Scribe, "Not many - if any"

Give that man a mic! :D

Sweep
27-04-2010, 01:13 PM
FTTH FTW

SolMiester
27-04-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm crying because of idiots like you who have to be greedy and spoil it for everyone else!

Nomad
27-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Do you have a real life?

I think its just time before it's bye-bye to Go Large.

FlashZ
30-04-2010, 01:17 AM
I think its just time before it's bye-bye to Go Large.

Funny, Go-Large is gone. They replaced it with BigTime a traffic managed plan which is "unthrottled" during off peak hours, with an average adsl2+ connection over 700GB can be done within those times during a month.

As for the legitimacy of downloads whose to say the "honest" bigtime users have never pirated, there are large majority of new zealanders who openly admit to pirating copyrighted material.

Its also not very hard to do 1TB in downloads, long stints on youtube watching normal stuff can drain a couple of gigs a day, let alone all the HD stuff there. Consumers want more data and the ability to upload it, I dont see why in NZ that they continue to limit us back when clearly ISPs in places like the US, Japan, Sweden have unlimited cap plans that are cheaper than what is offered here when our country has the physical capacity to deliver it.

Dont complain that people "like me" are ruining your plan, you get what you pay for. If you dont like it move plan or switch isp, I however dont have any problems with it.

@CYaBro: They did at one time have a fairusage policy (not sure if they still do as I cannot find it on telecom.co.nz) but they did throttle your connection if you went over a certain download limit and keep you there by putting you into a different ip pool with a different set of traffic management rules to everyone else. afaik they cant do that for a plan they state as "Unlimited".

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2010, 08:07 AM
@CYaBro: They did at one time have a fairusage policy (not sure if they still do as I cannot find it on telecom.co.nz) but they did throttle your connection if you went over a certain download limit and keep you there by putting you into a different ip pool with a different set of traffic management rules to everyone else. afaik they cant do that for a plan they state as "Unlimited".

They can do whatever the hell they like, it's a "managed" plan, and they're pretty much free to manage it in any way they see fit. The only thing preventing them from doing-so is that customers *will* walk if they're too heavy-handed.

Anyway, international speeds have picked up again for me as of around Tuesday I think, without using this method, so it's all good :D
Have been building linux distro's and downloading a few hundred megs of packages at a time for a LiveCD, last thing I want is 10KB/sec downloads internationally, it blows ...

SolMiester
30-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Funny, Go-Large is gone. They replaced it with BigTime a traffic managed plan which is "unthrottled" during off peak hours, with an average adsl2+ connection over 700GB can be done within those times during a month.

As for the legitimacy of downloads whose to say the "honest" bigtime users have never pirated, there are large majority of new zealanders who openly admit to pirating copyrighted material.

Its also not very hard to do 1TB in downloads, long stints on youtube watching normal stuff can drain a couple of gigs a day, let alone all the HD stuff there. Consumers want more data and the ability to upload it, I dont see why in NZ that they continue to limit us back when clearly ISPs in places like the US, Japan, Sweden have unlimited cap plans that are cheaper than what is offered here when our country has the physical capacity to deliver it.

Dont complain that people "like me" are ruining your plan, you get what you pay for. If you dont like it move plan or switch isp, I however dont have any problems with it.

30 x 2Gb at day is only 60Gb of youtube!, So far away form 1TB its not funny. Even if HD...It is fairly obvious to all you are downloading movies legal or otherwise...in fact you must be constantly downloading to reach the data amount...I hope you get caught with copyrighted material!

utopian201
30-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I have noticed the speeds increasing too, from about 4kb/s to about 40kb/s, even without this workaround.

FlashZ
30-04-2010, 10:35 AM
@Chilling_Silence: They cant do whatever the hell they want just because one person uses more than another you cant just limit the one who used more as it would be against the consumer guarantees act. They have to manage the plan as a whole. I dont think that many customers would walk, they are the only ones offering an unlimited plan in NZ so its safe say that people who eat more than most ISP's plans would stick with bigtime as it would be cheaper than to pay for data caps or get limited to a cavemen like 64kb/s.

@SolMiester: I was giving a generalised example of how something you use everyday can eat away at data without you knowing it.
The data i've used this month is the most ive ever used, downloading the 100+ gb of live performances from Nine inch Nails and backing up my server in the UK to home which was another ~300GB. Backing up my server without the method described in this thread would of been impossible otherwise, I would gladly use ftp instead of http to do it but as telecom limit ftp down so much even in off peak there's just no way, especially at 12kB/s.
Also if i was downloading constantly I would of reached far in access of 4TB, I dont think I could find enough content that I wanted to get that far ;)

Erayd
30-04-2010, 11:48 AM
@Chilling_Silence: They cant do whatever the hell they want just because one person uses more than another you cant just limit the one who used more as it would be against the consumer guarantees act. They have to manage the plan as a whole.Erm... I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Can you please quote the relevant bit of the consumer guarantees act that you claim supports that position?

I dont think that many customers would walk, they are the only ones offering an unlimited plan in NZ so its safe say that people who eat more than most ISP's plans would stick with bigtime as it would be cheaper than to pay for data caps or get limited to a cavemen like 64kb/s.Tell that to the GO Large customers - a huge number either walked, or were getting some form of ongoing compensation from Telecom.

...I would gladly use ftp instead of http to do it...You are kidding, right? Why on earth would you back up a server via HTTP? Use rsync or something, you'll do far better with that.

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Erm... I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Can you please quote the relevant bit of the consumer guarantees act that you claim supports that position?

I'm with Erayd, they say "This is a managed plan", which means they're basically free to "manage" it in any way they like, and you can't do squat about it except for walking away ...

FlashZ
30-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Erm... I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Can you please quote the relevant bit of the consumer guarantees act that you claim supports that position?

I stand corrected as I cant find it there haha. Its obvious that they dont do that anyway looking at gpforums with people downloading as much as they want.

Tell that to the GO Large customers - a huge number either walked, or were getting some form of ongoing compensation from Telecom.

Go Large was a balls up from the get go and continued to be one, not suprised people walked from that.

You are kidding, right? Why on earth would you back up a server via HTTP? Use rsync or something, you'll do far better with that.

I did try things like rsync to see which would get the best speed but for me all were quite limited as in never above 50kB/s, HTTP was the fastest option available.

Erayd
30-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Go Large was a balls up from the get go and continued to be one, not suprised people walked from that.
Indeed... and from where I sit, Big Time looks like pretty much the same thing.

I did try things like rsync to see which would get the best speed but for me all were quite limited as in never above 50kB/s, HTTP was the fastest option available.Methinks you don't know how to use rsync then. Using rsync to pull a diff for 300GB at 50k/sec will almost always be far faster than pulling the entire 300GB over HTTP at a much higher speed - the only exception to that is if your data has almost 100% volatility between backups - which would mean that what you're actually backing up is a seedbox or something similar.

Also, try piping rsync through openssl on port 443 - that should hopefully get you some improvement in speed; as far as the traffic management is concerned it'll just look like HTTPS traffic.

FlashZ
30-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Indeed... and from where I sit, Big Time looks like pretty much the same thing.

You could be right, guess we'll see as time goes on.

Also, try piping rsync through openssl on port 443 - that should hopefully get you some improvement in speed; as far as the traffic management is concerned it'll just look like HTTPS traffic.

Thanks for the suggestion about piping though ssl, I'll definitely give that a try. Cant believe I didnt think of that before.

ubergeek85
30-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I just gave this a spin now, (I used http://www.archive.org/details/bb_minnie_the_moocher for the sample file, the 325Mb one). Here's my results;

Using the Firefox download manager, with no referrer trick; average swing range - 30-50Kb/s, average overall - 35Kb/s, peak - 80Kb/s, stopped after - 11Mb.

Using Free download manager, with 12 threads, and no referrer trick; average swing range - 130-180Kb/s, average overall - 170Kb/s, peak - 185Kb/s, stopped after - 20Mb.

Using Free download manager, with 12 threads, using referrer trick; average swing range - 170-190Kb/s, average overall - 180Kb/s, peak - 195Kb/s, stopped after - 25Mb.

It seems that, for archive.org at least, the gains are small.

Don't know if it matters, but the full referrer I used was http://www.youtube.com/

Ollie
30-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I just gave this a spin now, (I used http://www.archive.org/details/bb_minnie_the_moocher for the sample file, the 325Mb one). Here's my results;

Using the Firefox download manager, with no referrer trick; average swing range - 30-50Kb/s, average overall - 35Kb/s, peak - 80Kb/s, stopped after - 11Mb.

Using Free download manager, with 12 threads, and no referrer trick; average swing range - 130-180Kb/s, average overall - 170Kb/s, peak - 185Kb/s, stopped after - 20Mb.

Using Free download manager, with 12 threads, using referrer trick; average swing range - 170-190Kb/s, average overall - 180Kb/s, peak - 195Kb/s, stopped after - 25Mb.

It seems that, for archive.org at least, the gains are small.

Don't know if it matters, but the full referrer I used was http://www.youtube.com/

You're doing it wrong you can easily get over 500kb/s with refferer

ubergeek85
30-04-2010, 06:36 PM
It might just be that archive.org limits it's upload to share it round, I dunno.

Either way, I didn't get 500Kb/s down. I guess I'll have to try it on another site.