PDA

View Full Version : Line-in on laptop

R.M.
24-04-2010, 12:26 PM
This is probably a daft question. :(

Does my Toshiba Satelite M300 900 let me have 'line in' to record?

I am trying to record directly from a taperecorder (!) using Audacity (the Beta version 1.3.12) on the lappy (OS Windows 7 Home Premium). I can do this on my desktop (OS XP Prof).

I can do it on the lappy, but recording from the speakers. This gets all the graunching of the spindles etc as well as what I want to get - most distracting for the camera club! Now if I could only just get the judges to use mp3 recorders...

Agent_24
24-04-2010, 12:46 PM
If it's got a Line In jack then yes, but I would expect it doesn't. Both my laptops only have a Mic jack and Headphone jack.

You could try to find a USB sound card, I know they exist but not sure if they do recording. There must be some that do though.

R.M.
24-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Mic jack and Headphone jack.

Yes, that's what it looks like....

Thinks about new system...:thanks

KarameaDave
24-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Have you enabled wave out mix in sound devices?
http://iandixon.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!36983156CAA83EA9!1725.entry
And selected the same in Audacity?

from here:http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Tutorial_-_Your_First_Recording

Step 2: Configure Audacity to record from that device

Now that you know you're getting sound into the computer, it's time to fire up Audacity.

Click on Edit > Preferences to bring up the Preferences dialog. Click on the Devices tab. Under Recording, make sure that the device you selected in your computer's sound control panel corresponds to what is displayed in the "Device" popup menu - if not, click the Device popup menu and the select the option that corresponds to the setting you made in your computer's sound control panel. In the "Channels" popup menu choose whether you want to record in mono (1 channel) or stereo (2 channels). In general if you are recording a microphone or guitar you will want to record in mono. If you are recording a keyboard and the keyboard has stereo outputs you will want to record in stereo. For the sake of this tutorial though, we assume that you have set the "Channels" popup menu to mono.

Now go to the Recording tab of the Preferences dialog. If you are recording from a microphone, make sure that "Software Playthrough" is not checked - Software Playthrough will cause undesirable feedback from the computer speakers to the microphone. If you are recording a guitar or keyboard and want to hear the instrument through the computer speakers, make sure that "Software Playthrough" is checked.

Click the "OK" button to accept the settings you just made.

Agent_24
24-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Maybe something like http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=566242

Renmoo
24-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Or get an external USB line-in hub, if there is such thing?

KarameaDave
24-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Check out trademe, computer recording
Lots of external sound devices.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/PA-pro-audio-DJ-equipment/Computer-recording/mcat-0343-4616-4619-.htm

Burnzee
24-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi RM

Being doing this for sometime now using a Toshi A/100. By tape recorder, I assume you mean cassette.

1. Look to see if your lappy has a Microphone Input. Your Cassette needs a Outlet plug for a Headphone.

2. Go to DSE and get a cord to interface between the two.

3. I use Nero WaveEdit but Audacity will do.

4. Turn Cassette volume to about medimum.

5. Do a test recording. Adjust volume according.

6. Do your recording in a format you require. I always use Mp3.

7. Done.

While this may not be perfect it's a hellva lot better than trying to record from the speakers!!

TIP: Use Audacity to clean up any remaining noise on your sound file.

BURNZEE

R.M.
24-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Many thanks for all your responses! I'll have a go later on - I think I've got all the bits necessary... :)

Yes, I've got Nero WaveEdit (when I look!) - and I agree, recording from the speakers was a disaster - all sorts of grinding and groaning! Last time I did it, I used Audacity, so I'll give the Nero one a whirl. Ta.