PDA

View Full Version : Hello Slingshot

--Wolf--
23-04-2010, 08:52 PM
FINALLY got around to getting my ass off Xnet...

Changed to Slingshot because they had a good plan (FS down and 15gb a month) for only a few bucks more than Xnet and the "download as much as you want in the stupid hours of the morning and not use any of your monthly usage" thing appealed to me.

Anyway point is, did a test same time the other night on Xnet on Slingshots speed test, got 0.76mb down....well over 100 ping...

Just did a test now, first night on Slingshot, same site (wonder if it shows a slightly higher speed for their own customers?), roughly same time...

Download Speed: 25916 kbps (3239.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 130 kbps (16.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 34 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
Packet Loss: 0 %

Whoa.....25mb down....I know i'll never actually get that but everythings loading/buffering soo much faster.

Point is, GET OFF XNET.

Chilling_Silence
24-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Very nice!

KarameaDave
24-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice until you need customer service.... it's run by psychotic clowns.

ronyville
24-04-2010, 01:17 PM
"download as much as you want in the stupid hours of the morning and not use any of your monthly usage" thing appealed to me.

yea. been with slingshot for ages now, i let my downloads run in the night when data is free :thumbs:, i think i used up 80GB of free data on my first month on slingshot's new plans.

Download Speed: 16470 kbps (2058.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 615 kbps (76.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 7 ms
Jitter: 0 ms

Agent_24
24-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Download Speed: 25916 kbps (3239.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 130 kbps (16.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 34 ms
Jitter: 1 ms

Whoa.....25mb down....

Nice, but pity about the upstream being so low

How far are you from the cabinet\exchange?

--Wolf--
24-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Not too worried about the upload...never been on a FS upload plan. No idea how far, is there a test to find out or would I have to ring?

Also question: I have a D-link router (which they don't support), but setting it up the Slingshot tech guy told me to enter "username@jetbuster.co.nz" , which I did (obviously with my username and password) and it works, but in the email they say to enter "username@slingshot.co.nz"...what the hell is jetbuster?

Chilling_Silence
24-04-2010, 11:26 PM
This will tell you:
http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

AFAIK you don't *need* to authenticate these days with most ISP's, as physical access to the line is enough to prove you are "authorized".

I had a client who had been with Orcon for several months but were using their old Maxnet username to authenticate in the Router because nobody had told them to change it. So, when I upgraded their router, I used user@jetstreamgames.co.nz / password (I think that was it) and it too worked.

nedkelly
24-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Can you post what you think of it after a week wolf? Might join them if they are really good.

Agent_24
24-04-2010, 11:46 PM
This will tell you:

AFAIK you don't *need* to authenticate these days with most ISP's, as physical access to the line is enough to prove you are "authorized".

Not really, It will tell you which cabinet you are on but it doesn't say where the cabinet is.

To do that, you have to go looking along your street until you find a green box with the cabinet number on it....

They authenticate by the line's phone number now, not username\password.

I was told this when I asked if I could use my account at a friends house, so he could download some things without infringing on his data cap. (I have 2Mbit and he has 17Mbit so it would have been much better if he could have used my account at his house)

Obviously they used to authenticate with the username and password in the router some years ago, but not anymore.

Nomad
24-04-2010, 11:47 PM
To do that, you have to go looking along your street until you find a green box with the cabinet number on it....

Really. Well why did Xnet could only provide me 1.8Mbit a few yrs back :groan:

The green box is like 10m from my letter box.

Agent_24
25-04-2010, 12:03 AM
A few years ago that cabinet wouldn't have had ADSL2+ equipment in it and you were connected to the exchange over a few kilometres of copper...

But at 10 metres now, no wonder you're you're getting 24 Mbit!

Safari
25-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Not too worried about the upload...never been on a FS upload plan. No idea how far, is there a test to find out or would I have to ring?

Also question: I have a D-link router (which they don't support), but setting it up the Slingshot tech guy told me to enter "username@jetbuster.co.nz" , which I did (obviously with my username and password) and it works, but in the email they say to enter "username@slingshot.co.nz"...what the hell is jetbuster?

I think jetbuster is an old name for Slingshot broadband.
They probably kept it active when they changed it to slingshot for logging in.

Safari
25-04-2010, 01:39 AM
This will tell you:

I had a client who had been with Orcon for several months but were using their old Maxnet username to authenticate in the Router because nobody had told them to change it. So, when I upgraded their router, I used user@jetstreamgames.co.nz / password (I think that was it) and it too worked.

That is not quite correct Chill.
Telecom authenticate by using the phone number but all ISPs on UBS broadband authenticate by username@isp.co.nz or whatever their broadband is called.
UBS connections on a particular phone number are tunnelled to the ISP and you can only connect from that phone number if you are using the broadband username format for that ISP. I am talking about UBS here which most ISPs are on if they are using Telecom network

You notice this when someone changes their ISP, on the changover date broadband will stop for the original ISP and the username for the new ISP has to be entered into the modem to be able to connect.

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Ah thanks for clearing that up guys :)

Safari
25-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Ah thanks for clearing that up guys :)

Regarding your Orcon client I think what probably happened is that Orcon were using their own equipment in the exchange so it would not be a UBS Telecom connection. Orcon were probably authenticating by the phone number so the username in the modem was irrelevant.

Nomad
25-04-2010, 10:43 AM
A few years ago that cabinet wouldn't have had ADSL2+ equipment in it and you were connected to the exchange over a few kilometres of copper...

But at 10 metres now, no wonder you're you're getting 24 Mbit!

I walk past that green box each morning prior to the bus stop :D Always thought it was a electricity box :p
Thought it had to be larger like a walk in building.

Dunno yet. Will see in June. It gets upgraded then.

Now I have FS/128, I get a 5Mbit which is the theoretical max, could go higher to FS/FS under ADSL1 but not bothering until ADSL2.

S Korea has 1,000Mbit how the heck do you get that? Your 1GBps NIC would be running insane, and wireless wouldn't work right?

--Wolf--
25-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Yea my internet didn't start working until I changed my username/pass in the router to the new one.

pctek
25-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Nice until you need customer service.... it's run by psychotic clowns.
Yes, they were advertising recently for CSRs, no way would I bother, their reputation sucks.

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2010, 07:59 PM
S Korea has 1,000Mbit how the heck do you get that? Your 1GBps NIC would be running insane, and wireless wouldn't work right?

I read that it's available, but apparently less than 30% actually *have* fibre of any sort, even though they have some of the best FTTH coverage in the world.

It's also interesting to see here: http://speedtest.net/global.php

Sweep
25-04-2010, 08:15 PM
For the full story see here. I note there are two telecoms on the list. Xtra and Telecom. That is if I click on my location which is shown as Hamilton.

http://speedtest.net/global.php#0,6,5

Gobe1
26-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I joined Slingshot too two weeks ago, very painless i must say.
On the 5gb plan and have already used up my data DOH... Will have to keep my eyes on that

Agent_24
26-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah, and that's why I have Big Time with no cap