PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Fog lamp on car

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok my Car failed its warrant as one of the fog lights points up instead of down, ironically its been like that ever since i brought the car 7 or so years ago, but anyway, how do i fix it, the car is a 96 0r97 holden astra hatch like this one
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Holden/auction-280251709.htm

Anyway heres a close up of the area and how it is supposed to look (the right hand side is flipped)
Attached file: Car_question.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Car_question.jpg) (31 KB)

Can i just take the ?skirt? bit under the bumper off and straighten it, or is there an easier way?

Baby steps are good as i am not a mechanic but i am skint

KarameaDave
23-04-2010, 05:34 PM
It looks to me like an incorrect sealed beam unit.
(as in a RH side one in the Left)
If you are skint remove them both.
The cut outs in the skirt don't even look the same shape to me.
(but that could be Friday night Wonky-eye;))

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 06:05 PM
The are the same shape, i think, its just that one has been pushed in behind the hole at the top and it sort of skewed on an angle, and the bottom is sticking out further than it should (and i'm a crap photographer), as to removing them, well they both work fine and to do that i still have to remove the skirt thing to get at them don't I, so it should hopefully be just as easy to straighten it up again

KarameaDave
23-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Have a look and see if it is adjustable.
Long screws or the like alongside the lamp.
Or try to see if the mount is somehow warped.
(they both have different shaped lenses with different ridges
which is why I assumed they are different)

gary67
23-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Looks like its upside down? Are you sure it s the right light for the car?

Phil B
23-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Remove them both, then you'll pass. Front & rear foglamps are the bain of a motorists life. According to the roadcode I read, it's illegal to use them unless the driving/light conditions are met

Trev
23-04-2010, 09:51 PM
You have 2 left or right sides ??
:)

gary67
24-04-2010, 08:52 AM
You have 2 left or right sides ??

That's what it looks like to me too

Morgenmuffel
24-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Remove them both, then you'll pass. Front & rear foglamps are the bain of a motorists life. According to the roadcode I read, it's illegal to use them unless the driving/light conditions are met

Why are they so bad? they are down low, below all the other lights and pointed downwards

Anyone know how I am supposed to get the skirt off the car

johcar
24-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Why are they so bad? they are down low, below all the other lights and pointed downwards

Anyone know how I am supposed to get the skirt off the car

Buy it a few drinks...

Trev
24-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Get a hammer. :badpc:

R2x1
24-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Go into a Mt Eden driveway while going above 1.2 KmH

Morgenmuffel
25-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm back

Well i removed the fog light, to find
a) its not the correct one for that side of the vehicle
b) its wouldn't fit the other side either
c) I doubt its from a holden at all
d) Its actually 3 different fog lights glued/epoxeyed together, still with saw marks in them

Attached file: foggy-fog.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/foggy-fog.jpg) (28 KB)

I might check out the price of a replacement, as surely they can't be too dear, and the waikato is known for fog

roddy_boy
25-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Ok my Car failed its warrant as one of the fog lights points up instead of down, ironically its been like that ever since i brought the car 7 or so years ago,

Oh, the irony!

prefect
25-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Buy it a few drinks...

:D

R2x1
25-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm back

Well i removed the fog light, to find
a) its not the correct one for that side of the vehicle
b) its wouldn't fit the other side either
c) I doubt its from a holden at all
d) Its actually 3 different fog lights glued/epoxeyed together, still with saw marks in them

Attached file: foggy-fog.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/foggy-fog.jpg) (28 KB)

I might check out the price of a replacement, as surely they can't be too dear, and the waikato is known for fog
Some person has invested $100 of labour and $15 of parts to make a $2 lamp that isn't worth $1
Still, it sold the car I suppose.

prefect
25-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Not as bad as bananas in the diff, egg or pepper in the radiator.

Trev
25-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Or sawdust in the gearbox.

gary67
26-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Some person has invested $100 of labour and $15 of parts to make a $2 lamp that isn't worth $1
Still, it sold the car I suppose.

I only have one word for that sort of thing, Lucas!

R2x1
26-04-2010, 07:36 AM
LOL

Artificial Lucas Wannabee?

Billy T
27-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Just leave it out, it is not a WoF requirement, or go to a wrecker's yard and get a replacement if you want the front to still look good (or better than it was) I can't believe you thought that looked the same as the other side!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PaulD
27-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Just leave it out, it is not a WoF requirement, or go to a wrecker's yard and get a replacement if you want the front to still look good (or better than it was) I can't believe you thought that looked the same as the other side!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

You'd have to remove both. The WOF wording seems to indicate that if a front fog light is fitted it has to work and you have to have a pair on a car.

"A front fog lamp must be in sound condition.
A rear fog lamp must be in sound condition if it emits a
light."

The most common problem seems to be that the off switches don't work :D

Morgenmuffel
27-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm taking them both out for the time being, as the cost of a new one was $150, and couldn't locate any at the wreckers yards i went to, going to keep an eye out though.

Billy T
28-04-2010, 05:56 PM
You'd have to remove both. The WOF wording seems to indicate that if a front fog light is fitted it has to work and you have to have a pair on a car.

"A front fog lamp must be in sound condition.

A rear fog lamp must be in sound condition if it emits a
light."

When I went to school, 'a fog lamp' was singular, and the second comment re the rear lamp suggest not only a singular installation there as well, which it usually is, but also that removal of the bulb renders it outside WOF scrutiny.

Caveat: I haven't read the WOF requirements. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PaulD
28-04-2010, 07:51 PM
When I went to school, 'a fog lamp' was singular, and the second comment re the rear lamp suggest not only a singular installation there as well, which it usually is, but also that removal of the bulb renders it outside WOF scrutiny.

The wording allows for the LE motor tricycle vehicle class that only has to have 1 front fog light if fitted. Cars and trucks have to have 2 if fitted.

I included the statements re front and back to show the different treatment of front and rear. As well there is a further note 5 "A forward-facing permitted lamp that does not comply with the equipment, condition and performance requirements must be made to comply or be removed from the vehicle"