PDA

View Full Version : Digital freeview in Taranaki

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Sent and email to Freeview yeterday when this will be available in Taranaki?:annoyed:

Waiting waiting waiting.....:crying:crying:crying

inphinity
21-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Uhm, it isn't already?

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Put your address in here (http://www.freeviewnz.tv/all_about_freeview/coverage) Looks like satellite is available HD isnt

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Im gonna be spewing if orcs gets 3d tv before taranaki gets digital freeview.
Apparently when they installed digital in nz there wasnt enough population in taranki to do it. That means they will probably never install it.
Whinge whinge eh

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Well did you put your address in, to see what it says?

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah digital "unlikely", standard "very likely" been there done that months ago too
Bastards, i just wanna know if is in the pipeline.
Cant afford sky let alone mysky but would be able to buy digital freeview box.
Getting expensive to hire blueray movies all the time....if you can find the ones you want

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Probably wont happen. If you want it, you'll have to get satellite

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Probably , just feel like having a whine today
I might send an email every day till they reply. Squeaky wheel :angry:

Edit: Just flicked them another now :)

prefect
21-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Squeaky wheel gets smashed.

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Haw Haw good one, or silently elliminated

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2010, 04:29 PM
The prob isnt with Freeview, the prob is there is NO UHF HD transmitter on Mt Egmont. Which is probably where it would be broadcast from. If it existed.

However, it looks like there is a UHF transmitter for Sky there somewhere. But it wont be HD either. And the only way Freeview will get it is if Sky give it (altho, it probably wont work anyway). The closest transmitter near you by the looks of it, are Wharite / Ohakune and Hamilton

wratterus
21-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Join the club, we've got none in Nelson either! :(

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 04:43 PM
That makes sense Speedy, and they wont want to upgrade the transmitter as it only covers half of Taranaki...
Wonder if i got a tall pole and see if i could get a signal from waikato....Na too hard and would probably be so high i restrict airpspace here
Guess it is hiring BR for me forever

EDIT: sucks eh Wratt

inphinity
21-04-2010, 05:07 PM
They have satellite coverage there, no?

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Yup, BUT by the sounds of it, Gobe wants HD which satellite doesnt have / support

wratterus
21-04-2010, 05:09 PM
They have satellite coverage there, no?

Yeah but it's just not the same... :groan:

For me it's just as much the quality as the ease of use having a TV with a built in tuner, there's enough bloody STBs, decoders and cables behind the TV as it is.

inphinity
21-04-2010, 05:19 PM
hehe, fair enough :)

radium
21-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I hear that for us in Taranaki we will get freeview HD before end of 2012.

Greven
21-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I know a few people who sell electronics in chain stores, and they have been told that Invercargill will get freeview HD in about 3 years. That is a very different story than you will get if you email them - probably the same situation all over the country.

I hope the chain stores are right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Gobe1
22-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Woohoo, sounds good. I would just like them to confirm it is actually gonna be done one day. I have all the gear to watch HD (TV etc) but no available signal :(
I might get SD for now jsut to improve the picture a little and give me a few channels C4 etc
Good luck Greven and Wratt, hopefully oneday it will happen

GoodHour
22-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Gobe, if you own a Full HD television and want to receive Freeview Satellite, I suggest you buy a HD satellite receiver because then you can upscale to 1080 which should give much better quality than a cheap SD satellite receiver.

Greven, have you heard any talk of a Freeview Satellite HD service?

pkm
23-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I hear that for us in Taranaki we will get freeview HD before end of 2012.

great so we finally get it shortly before the apocalypse!:banana

Richard
23-04-2010, 12:21 PM
great so we finally get it shortly before the apocalypse!:banana

No. Shortly after I'm afraid. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2010, 12:32 PM
From the freeviewtv site

Will Freeview satellite® be broadcast in high definition (HD)?

There are no plans at this stage to broadcast in HD via the satellite platform. This is due to bandwidth limitations and cost – HD requires a much larger amount of bandwidth and SKY TV have leased the majority of the suitable bandwidth on the Optus D1 satellite therefore there is not enough room for Freeview Broadcasters to transmit HD.

If, in future years, Freeview Broadcasters did manage to secure additional bandwidth viewers would need to replace their current satellite receiver with one that is capable of decoding an HD signal (much like Sky subscribers need to rent a new HD receiver for their HD service).

Freeview|HD® is available to 75% of NZ homes. In the future coverage may expand to include a greater percentage. Check if you’re in the current coverage area here. As well as digital receivers you can now purchase integrated digital televisions (iDTVs) with the Freeview|HD® built in.

apsattv
24-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Reception of Freeview HD terrestrial in Taranaki? you might like to try asking on the nzdtv forum.

Wharite or Te Aroha or even Mt Kaukau (Wellington) might be options.

A start would be if you can pick up Fm radio from any of those sites.

Start a thread here
http://www.nzdtv.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Post your google location details.

Gobe1
26-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Gobe, if you own a Full HD television and want to receive Freeview Satellite, I suggest you buy a HD satellite receiver because then you can upscale to 1080 which should give much better quality than a cheap SD satellite receiver.

Greven, have you heard any talk of a Freeview Satellite HD service?

My sony LCD has a reciever so i am hoping it will do this stock

FYI here is Freeviews response.....:angry
Hi,

There are no current plans to extend Freeview|HD(r) past the current nine areas. Any additional coverage requires additional investment in transmission infrastructure and the economic justification to do so.
Currently, it is not economic to extend the coverage past the initial nine areas.

This is why a fully national Freeview satellite service was launched last year; to ensure all New Zealanders are able to receive digital television without a subscription.

There are no plans at this stage for Freeview to broadcast in HD (High
Definition) via the satellite platform. This is due to bandwidth limitations and cost - HD requires a much larger amount of bandwidth and SKY TV have leased the majority of the suitable bandwidth on the Optus
D1 satellite therefore there is not enough room for Freeview Broadcasters to transmit HD on satellite.

Thanks for your enquiry,

The Freeview Team
Freeview Limited
0800 Freeview
http://www.freeviewnz.tv

Quote from Liar Liar: "Bend over and take it up the tail pipe" Jim Carey is genius just have to watch him in SD

EDIT: At least they replied to me...

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Which is what the site says, and what I said

wratterus
26-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Which is what the site says, and what I said

Yes, I have had that exact reply about 4 times, there is probably a monkey responding to the emails.

Gobe1
27-04-2010, 11:50 AM
yeah thought as much myself
Cheers guys, maybe one day i will be able to afford Mysky