PDA

View Full Version : Broadband gone slow again !

Digby
21-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi Guys

You may remember than in January of this year I had a problem where my broadband went slow all of a sudden. I was using a Dynalink RT 1025W router.
On some sites the speed was OK, but on sites that needed to get a lot of data (eg forums) (or news-sites) or downloading it just gave up and the pages did not load.

You gave me all sorts of suggestions, some of which I tried, but in the end I got Telecom (Chorus) out and they found that my line signal was not that strong so the guy worked on it and I got good speeds again.

Well the problem is back !

But this time it is weird because I now have a laptop connected to the router via wireless and that seems to be working OK. !

What can have happened all of as sudden, I did not make any changes.

How can the router give good speeds to my laptop, but slow to my desktop ? Perhaps the signal is once again not strong enough. I don't want to call Telecom out again in case my line is OK and then they would charge me fro the visit (I am in a rural area)

I may just take my desktop to another house and try it there ! like I did last time.

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Who are you using for DNS?

What do you get in terms of throughput from speedtest.net?

Safari
21-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Your desktop is connected by ethernet to the Dynalink is it.
If your laptop is working ok wirelessly from the same modem it won't be a DNS problem.
It must be a problem with your desktop or your LAN connection.
Try connecting to one of the other LAN ports on the Dynalink with your desktop or connect the laptop by ethernet and see what happens.

Digby
21-04-2010, 12:22 PM
OK Safari - will do and I'll report back !

Digby
22-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Running my laptop on ethernet cable.

To do this do I just plug an ethernet cable in to the laptop from my router, or do I have to disable the wireless somehow ?

Sorry to be so dumb.

jinja_thom
22-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Do you have zonealarm installed on the desktop, a lot of my friends have had email and browser problems for the past 6 weeks or so which all disappeared when zonealarm was uninstalled. Not just exit but complete uninstall.

Digby
22-04-2010, 06:41 PM
No Zonealarm.

I fixed the problem

I went into my router and re-set it to the factory defaults.
Then entered my details again and it rebooted and now I have normal speeds on the desktop and the laptop !

Yeah !