PDA

View Full Version : Telstra call centre going to Manila

Nomad
20-04-2010, 07:36 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/telecoms-it-media/3602199/TelstraClear-looks-to-cut-up-to-120-jobs

I guess that's how business are these days and maybe with the cheap VOIP technology.

Thinking, you think it is possible to offer internet services without answering your call? They could set up telephone info feed and email / website support.

somebody
20-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Hopefully the shift means they'll be significantly increasing the size of their call centre to reduce their long hold times.

It is a bit of a shame though - their NZ based call centre staff are very good (when you finally get through to them). Most of the times I've had to call them, their technicians have been very knowledgeable and professional.

R2x1
20-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Extremely gratifying for those with other languages (provided they can match wherever your ISP's call centre is this week.)

Like some other call centres, they may possibly be able to speedilyly resolve problems with your water buffalo. I imagine a call centre in an urban area would be far too expensive.

Twelvevolts
20-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Hopefully the shift means they'll be significantly increasing the size of their call centre to reduce their long hold times.

It is a bit of a shame though - their NZ based call centre staff are very good (when you finally get through to them). Most of the times I've had to call them, their technicians have been very knowledgeable and professional.

The standard opening question at one point was "Are you using Zone Alarm?. Followed by "sorry sir we don't support people with home networks". Sure made you learn fast how to fix it yourself.

bk T
20-04-2010, 08:34 PM
... their NZ based call centre staff are very good (when you finally get through to them). Most of the times I've had to call them, their technicians have been very knowledgeable and professional.

Yes. That's when you finally get through to them! :D

pctek
21-04-2010, 07:00 AM
It is a bit of a shame though - their NZ based call centre staff are very good

And Manila won't be, being a call centre not a helpdesk.

And even more unemployed people here. Great.
Soon we'll be mobbing tourists at airports offering beads and hair plaiting like in bali.

prefect
21-04-2010, 07:26 AM
There always burgers to flip.

somebody
21-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Well it depends on whether they're outsourcing the technical helpdesk roles, or the account admin/bill payment/"I want to upgrade my plan" type roles. The latter can be done by script-reading call centre workers so the impact wouldn't be as large.

Twelvevolts: You must have been incredibly unlucky. I have never been asked about firewall/antivirus software, or told that my home network was unsupported. I did always offer to plug a laptop directly into the modem to replicate the problem though, so may have pre-empted that conversation.

I'm no longer a TelstraClear customer, but if I were, and they were outsourcing the more mundane call centre roles to save money so they could hire more helpdesk staff locally, then I wouldn't mind so much. That is of course, if they were doing this...

Digby
21-04-2010, 07:53 AM
There are not many jobs that cannot be outsourced - so beware !

Hairdressing, home care and auto repairs being three of those,

As I have said before, we (western nations) have to start dropping our wages gradually (along with all other prices) so that the wages with the developing world will be closer or the same). Then jobs will come back.

A few years ago I remember Jim Anderton saying NZ would be a great place for call centres ! as we speak good english ! ha !

Gobe1
21-04-2010, 08:22 AM
As I have said before, we (western nations) have to start dropping our wages gradually (along with all other prices) so that the wages with the developing world will be closer or the same). Then jobs will come back.

When have wages ever dropped ....ever??
Maybe if the price of living came back to match, unfortunatley it is a spiral that countries will never get out of

One day hopefully the developing countries wages/cost of living will rise to near ours as their lives improve.

Edit: i like the Jim Anderton quote lol

paulw
21-04-2010, 08:27 AM

I suggest you should be the first to volunteer. You don't really care about local jobs I guess..

Nomad
21-04-2010, 08:32 AM
There are not many jobs that cannot be outsourced - so beware !

Hairdressing, home care and auto repairs being three of those,

A few years ago I remember Jim Anderton saying NZ would be a great place for call centres ! as we speak good english ! ha !

First first job in a call centre, I was told by my manager that call centre are a hot topic for companies now. Some countries even offer legal advice over the telephone and billed for.

Cost cutting and competition is the fact of life I think. At the end of the day, shareholders want bigger returns, customers want lower price, and in this regard, faster broadband, more data.

After some international travels, consumers couldn't really careless about local jobs. They go overseas, the international roaming simcard is too expensive, so they go into a shop that advertise simcards for tourists for a low price, they install the simcard, get cheap rates and can make calls and that's job done for them. People parallel import, go to The Warehouse, Briscoes, Warehouse Stationery ..... and onto Trademe which doesn't really contribute to NZ more than the retail sector.

prefect
21-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I suggest you should be the first to volunteer. You don't really care about local jobs I guess..

Its not that I dont care. its business as Don Trump would say. If Telstras competitors like Telekom use Manilla for a help desk why shouldnt they?
Even for a person sitting at a desk in NZ it costs heaps in stupid ACC payments 1 months holiday, leave for pregnancy, Whanau leave the list goes on and on.
Over there you just appreciate the fact you have a job and the unions havent got a foothold to mess things up.
Why think nationally think globally the people over there appreciate the job more than some morose person here who will quit after less than a year anyway.

Marnie
21-04-2010, 09:35 AM
When have wages ever dropped ....ever??
Maybe if the price of living came back to match, unfortunatley it is a spiral that countries will never get out of

One day hopefully the developing countries wages/cost of living will rise to near ours as their lives improve.

Edit: i like the Jim Anderton quote lol

x2

R2x1
21-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Dropping wages is fine with me, as long as other costs drop too. If I can live the same on lower wages, I win as I will drop back a couple of steps on the tax scale. Yeah, right.
The biggest cost to anything seems to be the invisibles, every plumber supports a mass of camp followers.

prefect
21-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Dropping wages is fine with me, as long as other costs drop too. If I can live the same on lower wages, I win as I will drop back a couple of steps on the tax scale. Yeah, right.
The biggest cost to anything seems to be the invisibles, every plumber supports a mass of camp followers.

Aint that true

Zippity
21-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Manilla, Vanilla what's the difference?

Hell, some of our own NZ based Help/Service Desks employ staff that can't/don't speak the Queen's English - let alone can be understood even at the best of times :(

Just try calling the Gen-i Help Desk :( :(

Battleneter2
21-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Well I don't support scum bag companies that outsource to Asia, so Telstra are joining that worthless company Telecom.

The US is currently paying the price for all the outsourcing of lower jobs over the last decade with higher than necessary unemployment. In the end it bites them in the ass when the economy falls further during the bad times, we all loose.

pctek
21-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Well it depends on whether they're outsourcing the technical helpdesk roles, or the account admin/bill payment/"I want to upgrade my plan" type roles.

Wrong.
A helpdesk has people who know what they are talking about and help you through troubleshooting your problem - regardless of call length (within reason).
A call centre has inexperienced people worrying about their KPIs and not about whether or not they are actually helping you.

Big difference and one that matters a lot to me even if no-one else cares.
But then I always cared about my customers and took the time to help them rather than the way some techs operate.

Zippity
21-04-2010, 12:07 PM
A helpdesk has people who know what they are talking about and help you through troubleshooting your problem - regardless of call length (within reason).
A call centre has inexperienced people worrying about their KPIs and not about whether or not they are actually helping you.

Sadly in New Zealand, along with the title "Service Desk", they mean the same thing :(

My beef with NZ based "desks", is that many of them employ staff who have no grasp of the English language - be it understanding it or speaking it :(

prefect
21-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I think the reason foreigners do help desk work in New Zealand is because NZ born people couldnt put up from the abuse they would be getting from people, with telco problems.
I know myself I can get sarcastic and annoyed when told to reset my router for the umpteenth time by some chick in the Phillipines although I have had some A grade help from the pines in the past.
You wouldnt catch me working at help desk here I wouldnt last in the job a day I would tell the people to **** off if they were anything like I am on the other end of the fone.

bob_doe_nz
21-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Funny. I tried my local Mickey-D's and Kiffic's. No reply.

robbyp
21-04-2010, 02:36 PM

And even more unemployed people here. Great.
Soon we'll be mobbing tourists at airports offering beads and hair plaiting like in bali.

People want cheaper internet, that is the price that is paid. They have to cut costs somewhere. Perhaps a good reason to use a NZ owned company instead who does still provide NZ based support.

prefect
21-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Funny. I tried my local Mickey-D's and Kiffic's. No reply.
Well open your own Asian takeaway or noodle shop its money for jam like taking candy from a baby, a licence to print money.

prefect
21-04-2010, 03:20 PM
People want cheaper internet, that is the price that is paid. They have to cut costs somewhere. Perhaps a good reason to use a NZ owned company instead who does still provide NZ based support.

You smacked the nail right on the head people like me want cheap internet so if the help is from the pines so be it, cie la vie.
If you are some sort of misguided patriot use a small NZ ISP like farmside and pay a premium for it.
I do cheap, always done cheap always will until I win major div blotto.

bob_doe_nz
21-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Well open your own Asian takeaway or noodle shop its money for jam like taking candy from a baby, a licence to print money.

Parents ran a takeaway for 20 years. They now have a noodle shop.

Battleneter2
21-04-2010, 04:09 PM
People want cheaper internet, that is the price that is paid.

Thats garbage, they are simply trying to deliver higher dividends to the share holders and boost upper management bonuses.

zqwerty
21-04-2010, 05:06 PM
"That's garbage, they are simply trying to deliver higher dividends to the share holders and boost upper management bonuses."

Repeated for truth.

pctek
21-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I think the reason foreigners do help desk work in New Zealand is because NZ born people couldnt put up from the abuse they would be getting from people, with telco problems.

I can. I have. I do now although from the other end. You have to remember they rang cause they don't know what to do and once you were new to computers too.

Nomad
21-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Sadly in New Zealand, along with the title "Service Desk", they mean the same thing :(

My beef with NZ based "desks", is that many of them employ staff who have no grasp of the English language - be it understanding it or speaking it :(

With my first job in a call centre, most NZders would not work in a call centre or helpdesk role if they had the option. It's a stepping stone. A no. of my former work colleagues were lured by Telecom back in 2004 days.

Most don't want to be trapped next to the phone where the computer does the answering for you, where your managers may be alerted if you had your phone on busy for longer than usual. Where there is a matrix light sign that prints out, the stats on the current situation on the phones. How many callers on queue, avg wait time for customers.

It's just customer service. You don't need a social science certificate or diploma to work in a call centre or a IT cert / diploma to work for a IT call centre.

If you want a call centre role in NZ - look at government departments.

Me think that foreigners go for call centre roles b/c harder get other jobs and like their own countries, a job is a privilege, there's no dole where they are from and the wages are much higher here.
Heard some work in factories too and in mail sorting. Hey, it puts food on the table. Sometimes they may have 2 or 3 part time roles.

But having said that I know some Pacific Islanders and European NZders who are still in the same call centre role since 2004 :D

somebody
21-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Wrong.

That's why you have both. There are some roles where, to be honest, you don't need someone who knows anything beyond the script they've been given, or have the ability to show empathy to the caller. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. You pay peanuts, it helps the bottom line.

Things like technical support, resolving non-standard account issues etc. need to be handled by "helpdesk" staff (if we are to use your definition of the word). These staff also need to be provided with interesting work, otherwise they'll leave. Would you, with your experience, be happy to sit on a "helpdesk" doing password resets all day? There's no reason why those mundane tasks can't fall into the "call centre" category.