PDA

View Full Version : Where on Shore to dispose of SLA batteries?

Billy T
20-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi Team

My burglar alarm started warbling the other morning, indicating that the batrtery voltage was low. Not surprising really, the siren backup was dated July 1994 and the alarm backup was Feb 2002!

Where do we safely dispose of these now for recycling?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bob_doe_nz
20-04-2010, 04:51 PM
HazMobile (http://www.hazmobile.govt.nz)

Pop in your location and it should give you a time for disposal

Billy T
21-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Jeez! I have to wait until July for a disposal date? No wonder people just dump them in their recycle bin.

I'll see if I can find another option.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

roddy_boy
21-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Talk about impatient :/

Do you expect there to be a Hazmobile every week or something?

There are a few places that will take any lead batteries though, the Battery Clinic is one I know of, don't know if they have a shop on the shore though.

gary67
21-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Jeez! I have to wait until July for a disposal date? No wonder people just dump them in their recycle bin.

I'll see if I can find another option.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Your lucky we don't even have one

Agent_24
21-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Why the hurry?

Billy T
22-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Why the hurry?

Nuisance value kicking around on the garage floor, and if I put them away somewhere, it will be years before I remember to recycle them.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

FoxyMX
22-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Your lucky we don't even have one

Ditto. I have a container full of batteries that I am wondering what to do with.

Just make a note in your diary, Billy. July will come around soon enough. :(

roddy_boy
22-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Ditto. I have a container full of batteries that I am wondering what to do with.

You have no idea how many people have a container full of batteries. (I work in the battery department of the HazMobile btw)

Cicero
23-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Team

My burglar alarm started warbling the other morning, indicating that the batrtery voltage was low. Not surprising really, the siren backup was dated July 1994 and the alarm backup was Feb 2002!

Where do we safely dispose of these now for recycling?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Our local tip has a disposal area for batteries,oil and you name it,mind you we are talking Christchurch

SurferJoe46
23-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I just put them on top of my Isuzu and take them for a little spin around the neighborhood.

What happens to them --------------- just happens.

I am a little worried why you'd have Symbionese Liberation Army batteries though. Youse guys scare me a little.

Billy T
23-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I am a little worried why you'd have Symbionese Liberation Army batteries though. Youse guys scare me a little.

Be afraid SJ, be very very afraid! The enemy lies without, not within, and here in Godzone we are gathering together batteries of all shapes and sizes to power our gigantic and top seccret EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) machine.

Once competed and fully tested, we are going to aim it at various countries who have offended us, and at a stroke we will wipe out all their means of radio and television communication, computers, electronic throttles and fly by wire aircraft. Nothing will be sacred, nothing will be spared. Our protoype works well, but our tests stirred up a few earthquakes so we've had to aim it into space instead, shook up the ISS something terrible just on standby power from recycled torch batteries.

After the Second Civil War, which will be fought on horseback (or cow, dog or manback if there are not enough horses to go around) and using sharpened sticks as weapons, because the pulse will have also destroyed the entire means with which you have supported your right to bear arms, all you will be left with is the right to bare arms, which are somewhat short-range weapons.

Coming soon, to wreak devastation and civil unrest at a location near you....

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PS The film and book rights are available still if you are interested.

Least we can do for a mate.

SurferJoe46
23-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Did I ever tell youse guys that I was right in the middle of the S.L.A.-L.A.P.D. shootout?

The L.A.P.D. asked us to send some tow trucks to remove the cars from the corner of Compton Avenue and East 54th, deep in LA county. That wasn't our usual AAA service area, but when a police department orders you, you go if you want to keep your AAA towing contract with them next week.

Well - I got there and since our shop had just two other trucks (and the L.A.P.D. don't always pay well) - that's all we wanted to conscript at that time.

I was hooking up a Pinto or Vega - don't really remember, but I picked an easy tow - when bullets started flying over my head.

I hunkered down inside the truck and called the boss with the truck radio to back in shop and he cheerily asked me what I was doing, how and for how much longer.

I got several rounds of large caliber into the boom on the truck and the bullets fractured. I snuggled down even tighter into the seat. He asked me again when I thought I might be done and when I was speaking, he heard more gunshots over the radio. Then the rear window fractured - I still don't know what did it.

He just stared - and even though I wasn't watching him, I KNOW he just stared at the radio trying to figure just what I had done to make a customer that angry - as he heard the bullets flying and all the commotion.

His wife was on the phone telling him that the whole event was being broadcast live on local TV and he started watching that too on the TV in the front office - him still thinking it was my doings and the police, fire department and SWAT teams were trying to get ME!

Later on - a few minutes really it seemed to me - the big percussion/shock-bomb went off, set fire to the safe house and the smoke rose so high he could see it from the shop in Anaheim.

I was a little late getting back that evening.

The nice part was that he didn't dock me any pay for taking any time off that day.

A little C/P for the youngsters who don't know about this historical event:

On May 16, 1974, "Teko" and "Yolanda" (William and Emily Harris) entered Mel's Sporting Goods Store in Inglewood, California, to shop for supplies for their criminal safehouse. While Yolanda made the purchases, Teko on a whim tried to shoplift socks (Stone 2004). When a security guard confronted him, Teko brandished a revolver. The guard knocked the gun from his hand and placed a handcuff on William's left wrist. Hearst, on armed lookout from the group's van across the street, began shooting up the store's overhead sign. Everyone in the store took cover and they drove off with Hearst.

As a result of the botched-shoplifting incident, the police acquired the address of the safehouse from a parking ticket in the glove box of the van (the vehicle had been abandoned). The rest of the SLA fled the safehouse when they saw the events on the news. The SLA took over a house occupied by Christine Johnson and Minnie Lewisin.

The next day, an anonymous phone call to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) stated that several heavily armed people were staying at the caller's daughter's house. That afternoon, more than 400 LAPD officers, under the command of Captain Mervin King, along with the FBI, California Highway Patrol, and Los Angeles Fire Department surrounded the neighborhood.

The haunch leader of a SWAT team used a bullhorn to announce, "Occupants of 1466 East 54th Street, this is the Los Angeles Police Department speaking. Come out with your hands up!" A small child walked out, along with an older man. The man stated that no one else was in the house, but the child reported that several people were in the house with guns and ammo belts. After several more attempts to get anyone else to leave the house, a member of the SWAT team fired tear gas projectiles into the house. This was answered by heavy bursts of automatic gunfire, and a battle began.

Two hours later, the house caught fire. The police again announced, "Come on out! The house is on fire! You will not be harmed." Two women left from the rear of the house and one came out the front (she had come in drunk the previous night, passed out, and awakened up in the middle of the siege); all were taken into custody, but were found not to be SLA members. Automatic weapons fire continued from the house.

At this point, Nancy Ling Perry and Camilla Hall came out of the house. Investigators working for their parents would claim that they walked out intending to surrender and that they were unarmed but police later stated that Hall was shot in the head by police as she charged towards them and Perry was providing covering fire. After Hall's body fell to the ground, it was pulled back inside the burning house by Angela Atwood. Perry followed Hall out of the house and was shot twice in the back. Her body remained outside the house.

The rest died inside, from smoke inhalation, burns and gunshot wounds. According to the coroner's report, it was concluded that Donald DeFreeze committed suicide. After the shooting stopped and the fire was extinguished, 19 firearms—including rifles, pistols, and shotguns—were recovered. Several thousand rounds were reported fired into the home by police and they reported thousands of rounds being fired out of the house by the SLA.

This remains one of the largest police shootouts in history - not just by the LA or any US police - with a reported total of over 9,000 rounds being fired. Not a single round fired by the SLA hit a (human) target.

SurferJoe46
23-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Addendum :::
The SLA dead were: Nancy Ling Perry ("Fahizah"), Angela Atwood ("General Gelina"), Willie Wolfe ("Cujo", who was reported to be Patricia Hearst's lover), Donald DeFreeze ("Cinque"), and Patricia Soltysik ("Mizmoon," "Zoya"). Most of the bodies were found huddled in a crawl space under the house, which had burned down around them.

New broadcasting technology (smaller portable cameras and more nimble and versatile mobile units that made it easier to cover unfolding news events) had recently been acquired by area TV stations (Channel 5 and Channel 9), so Hearst and the Harrises were able to watch the televised siege live from their hotel room in Anaheim. (where my boss was at the tow shop)

This is the same broadcast that the boss ("Hud" was his name) was watching and trying to find a reason why I had made all those people angry at me for a simple tow job!

I miss that old man - a lot! Hud was one of the best friends I ever had.

pine-o-cleen
23-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Take them to a scrap metal dealer and get PAID for them! I work for an alarm install company, and we end up with zilllions of the things. the local scrappie gives us $1 for a 7ah battery and $0.5 for a 3.5ah.

prefect
24-04-2010, 03:08 PM
What I did was pay $250 to a toolmaker 15 years ago to mill out a dive belt weight mould 5 lbs.
When ever I see a dead battery I grab it and a lot of people drop them off to me bigger the better like monstrous earthmoving engine batteries. I cant go past an abandoned car without checking the battery (and alternator & starter) are still there
When I get a few I smash them to pieces with a sledge hammer and melt them down on gas burner ring in a big ally cooking pot.
I sell the weights for exchange for piss esp woodies now days that 250 investment has paid for itself hundreds of times over.

SurferJoe46
24-04-2010, 08:13 PM
.................... When ever I see a dead battery I grab it and a lot of people drop them off to me bigger the better like monstrous earthmoving engine batteries. I cant go past an abandoned car without checking the battery (and alternator & starter) are still there
When I get a few I smash them to pieces with a sledge hammerand melt them down on gas burner ring in a big ally cooking pot.
I sell the weights for exchange for piss esp woodies now days that 250 investment has paid for itself hundreds of times over.

Do you stand downwind or upwind to the kettle when you do this?

It might explain a few things. I think the sentence and grammar speaks for itself! Nyuck, nyuck!

prefect
25-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Do you stand downwind or upwind to the kettle when you do this?

It might explain a few things. I think the sentence and grammar speaks for itself! Nyuck, nyuck!

Some days there is no wind