PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day do you reboot your computer?

Ice Road Trucker
19-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I reboot only when the computer crashes itself. :badpc:

gary67
19-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Twice a day. Turn on at 6am turn off when I go to work around 7.15am. Gone all day turn on just after 5pm turn off when I go to bed. Don't leave it on when I'm not home no point all it does then is use a bit of power

pcuser42
19-04-2010, 09:35 PM
School days: sometimes goes on in the morning before school, then gets shut down before I leave. Always started when I get home from school.

Weekends: Turned on in the morning and left on for most of the morning/day, then switched off overnight.

I don't bother rebooting for updates as a shutdown counts. My netbook is turned on when I need it, then put in standby when I don't, and shut down at the end of the day.

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2010, 09:57 PM
When it needs rebooting. Other than that, it stays on from 8-9 in the morning till 12 - 2 am the next morning sometimes. Then I turn it off.

catspyjamas
19-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I turn it off if I'm going out for the day, and I also turn it off each night before I go to bed (unless I'm running a full AV scan as that can take hours and doesn't like me doing other things at the same time). Only other time would be if a programme asked me to restart it after an update. My father leaves his on 24/7 - he says that is better for the computer than what I do. I've never asked a professional if he is right though - so if anyone in this forum has thoughts about that I'd be interested to hear them.

fred_fish
19-04-2010, 10:24 PM
My experience is that the ones that stay on all the time generally last longer than the on/off ones.

Of course it depends on the operating environment and a lot of other factors, but I suspect that the thermal expansion & contraction of all those soldered joints twice a day will take their toll over time.

Constant temp = happy components. :)

MushHead
19-04-2010, 10:25 PM
My work PC gets rebooted every couple of weeks or so - basically whenever required by Windows Update. It's on standby overnight, starting a few hours after I leave work, as there's a background backup job running an hour or so after I usually leave.

Last time it actually crashed? - dunno, but definitely last year sometime.

pctek
19-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Once usually when it gets turned off. Sometimes I turn it off before that but then there's always some reason I need it and have to turn it back on so mostly it's on all day.

catspyjamas
19-04-2010, 10:33 PM
My experience is that the ones that stay on all the time generally last longer than the on/off ones.

Of course it depends on the operating environment and a lot of other factors, but I suspect that the thermal expansion & contraction of all those soldered joints twice a day will take their toll over time.

Thank-you fred_fish :) Hmm. I might have to change what I'm doing then. I thought it would wear the parts out more quickly being on all the time, but what you say makes good sense.

It's a laptop kept on a wooden desk - it wouldn't overheat being on all the time? Would going into sleep mode when not in use keep it warm (enough)?

plod
19-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Mines been up for just over 18 days. Only turn it off if going away in the weekend.

Zippity
19-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Mine stays on 24/7

Gets rebooted only when there is an upgrade.

Orca
19-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Mine stays on 24/7

Gets rebooted only when there is an upgrade.
Same for me, it usually stays on for weeks. And I don't pay for power at my apartment. :D

Windows Updates are annoying though. Thought I turned the damn things off but then I come home and find it's rebooted itself.

johcar
19-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Windows 7 - Asus notebook. Doesn't crash. Only gets turned off (briefly) when a Windows update requires it. Otherwise it's on 24/7.

I have the screen turn off after 30 minutes of non-use - but that's more to save the screen than electricity - it's LED backlit anyway, so uses b-all power...

Billy T
19-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Electronic components have finite life in 1000's of hours, as do HDDs etc. You can use that life up in 3.5 years or 10 years depending on how soon a worst case scenario looms on your horizon so that the computer can sense this and die at the worst possible time.

Not only that, long term heating is the enemy of all electronics and thermal expansion/contraction is a very minor factor in modern electronics

I turn on my computer when I'm ready to begin work each day, and turn it off every night. Not only does this extend the working life expectancy, it also gives me a clean boot to start every day. Proof of the value of minimising the hours lies in the performance of my last two computers. My immediate past box has done 9 years and only just had a major problem. It had only one OS reinstall in that time too, caused by a mistake I made, not any need.

The computer before that I called 'Old Faithful' because it started with Win95, moved to Win98 and ran way past 12 years service, ending its days as a print and mail server. Off every night, on every morning, mostly 7 days a week and I think it only died last year.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

george12
20-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I just hibernate it at night, standby when I'm away during the day, and restart it when it needs restarting, around once a week.

fred_fish
20-04-2010, 01:00 AM
@ BillyT
Fair enough, that is another pov.
I haven't done any scientific studies or kept statistics or analysed it in detail, it's just my feeling based on my own experience.

I too, have long lived PC's, my current router began life running Win95 and has been ON since 1997 :)
I have an '02 vintage machine that is now a mail/file/web server and has always been ON.

I've heard the arguments for and against, some have merit, some not.

I've supported machines in quite a few engineering/automotive businesses over the years (with offices that get cold overnight) and noticed a difference in longevity between the pc's that stay on and those that are turned off each night.

Leaving them on WILL cost you more for power. If you are only using it a few hours a day, turn it off.
PC's can, and do, fail, at any time, for any reason (cosmic rays have a lot to answer for too :)) wheather you run them 24/7 or turn them off.

hueybot3000
20-04-2010, 01:20 AM
You have used the same router for 13 years? Thats impressive if its not a typo.

Personally my desktop is on most the time, only gets turned off if im at the mrs place for a few days, and lappy only gets slept when its travelling but otherwise its on 24/7

fred_fish
20-04-2010, 02:11 AM
You have used the same router for 13 years?
I've had it longer than my children :cool:
486DX-2 16MB ram 120MB HDD
I got it when it retired from about 3 years service at Westpac IIRC :)
Converted it to my dial-up router, web, ftp, mail server & PDC.
I offloaded most of the servers to the other machine a few years ago, but it is still happily chugging along, now routing my 10Mbit cable connection to the rest of the LAN.

Renmoo
20-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Is Ice Road Trucker = Radium?

beeswax34
20-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Just when I turn it on in the evening

Ice Road Trucker
20-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Is Ice Road Trucker = Radium?

No.

robsonde
20-04-2010, 11:41 AM
at work i re-boot every day, right before i go home.
this is a win2k box.

at home I only re-boot on patch tuesday.
this is a winXP box.

R2x1
20-04-2010, 12:06 PM
One little computer current up time is 4351 hrs since last reboot, that was when we had a prolonged power outage and the UPS ran out of steam. (Naturally, this has no MS products on it.) Others run as required, usually get turned on and stay on until time for my bed. I would prefer to leave them all running 24/7 to minimise cyclic heat stress but the heat, noise and power consumption of that scheme are against the theory in practise.

National Semiconductor (I think) a few years ago put out a failure analysis that broadly said contamination of the die caused most problems involving chip failure. The contamination arises from thermal cycling stressing the metal-to-resin package boundaries causing mechanical bond failure. Thermal cycling (again) causes ingress of contaminant-laden moisture which does miscellaneous nasty deeds to the chip surface and leads.

The recommendation was to minimise the number and range of the thermal cycles by avoiding unnecessary shut-downs and ensuring good ventilation with clean air. Cleaning of the circuit boards was mentioned as a "good thing" provided that static charges were dealt to appropriately since static damage during service is another large cause of failures. Perhaps we should be grateful for a humid climate that helps mitigate damage caused when we get lax with anti-static precautions, but high humidity brings the moisture in that does the damage on the cool part of the cycle. Passive components have different rules, capacitors and resistors tend to be life limited mainly in running time and electrical stress levels. For everything, hotter is worse, much worse. The whole shebang is a plot to mean "Do whatever you like, it will be wrong".
Fortunately for reliability, we have got rid of valves, high voltage, mud resistors and paper capacitors along with germanium transistors (which were only just better than valves).

Greg
20-04-2010, 12:50 PM
My Asus lappie has been running about 6 weeks non-stop, with one exception, and that was when I did a Vista update that required a reboot.

Agent_24
20-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I restart when installing updates, that's about it.

If I want to switch off I user hibernation..

johcar
20-04-2010, 01:19 PM
My Asus lappie has been running about 6 weeks non-stop, with one exception, and that was when I did a Vista update that required a reboot.

Pretty good for Vista!!

My father's machine on Vista - crashes every couple of days. Trying to convince him to go to Win7...

Cato
20-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Judging from network uptime... 7 days 21 hours. And that only means I haven't taken my laptop out for over a week. I'm sure it's been running longer.

Edit:

Systeminfo | Find "System Boot Time"
System Boot Time: 02/04/2010, 4:01:54 p.m.

Damn that's not too bad.

Digby
20-04-2010, 03:47 PM

x3

I never turn mine off, except when I have to reboot to clear out the ram etc, perhaps once a week on XP.

Also I have my pc in a little room and find that leaving it on helps to keep the room a bit warmer in the mornings. (econo-heater ?) 350W PS ?

Billy T
20-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Fortunately for reliability, we have got rid of valves, high voltage, mud resistors and paper capacitors along with germanium transistors (which were only just better than valves).

Don't knock old technology, it will still be operating when today's state of the ark is dead and buried.

I have valves here that are up to 90 years old and still in good working condition. I have 70+ year old radios that still run well.

Moving forward in time to the more recent past, I have 50 year old transistor radios still in good working condition, and they have never been serviced, just put in fresh batteries and away they go. They are full of those dreadful germanium transistors too, and I have some of the very early 'production' mid-1950's germanium transistors (NOS) that test just fine.

Bakelite was one of the first plastics, if not THE first plastic, and it doesn't decay after a few years in the sun; you can bury it for decades, dig it up, clean and polish it and it will be as good as new. Don't leave modern plastics in the sun, they can't take it.

None of this old stuff is anything special, the only unusual thing about these items is that they got put somewhere and forgotten for a decade or several, then reappeared when the old homestead was cleared out or some similar domestic archaeological expedition uncovered them.

It would be interesting to review today's technology in the year 2060 or 2100 and see how much is still working.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Sweep
20-04-2010, 04:14 PM
My PC runs normally 24/7 except after updates when I reboot to apply changes.

Greg
20-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Bakelite was one of the first plastics, if not THE first plastic, and it doesn't decay after a few years in the sun; you can bury it for decades, dig it up, clean and polish it and it will be as good as new. Sounds similar to an AK47 Kalishinikov

pcuser42
20-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Forgot to mention the server :blush:

The server, running XP, is automatically shut down at 10pm each day and starts up again at 7am. The only reason it shuts down is to save power: if power wasn't an issue then I'd leave it on all the time.

Zippity
20-04-2010, 05:23 PM
You probably waste more power switching it off and on :(

pcuser42
20-04-2010, 05:54 PM
9 hours shouldn't do that...

wratterus
20-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Laptop never gets turned off, probably rebooted once a week. Last week I gave it it's yearly dust clean out as it was starting to run a bit warm, amazing how much dust accumulates in the HS fins over a year.

Grunter desktop only gets turned on when it's needed, which is probably 4 hours a day.

Windows updates can occasionally frustrate me, no I don't want to reboot now or in 4 hours. net stop wuauserv is very useful... :p

pcuser42
20-04-2010, 06:01 PM
4 hours is plenty - generally it never interrupts me again :D

Twelvevolts
20-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Only reboot when Microsoft forces me to, otherwise always on.

Gangplank
21-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I keep my laptop on, and standby when I am not using it. Only time I turn it off is like most people, for windows updates and every few months I open it up and clean it out. I live in a very dusty room.

Nomad
21-04-2010, 10:35 PM
A few times a day.

Recently I been doing some power bills investigation.

Not done the PC yet. But our CRT TV and Sky uses 0.2kW for the hour minus everything else. Bit surprised thou.

Everything else means, you wake up before everyone else take a meter reading and go back 15mins and retake it, convert this to the 1hr.

Recently only been using my computer when required, that might mean 1hr before bed time. Helps with my 3GB internet cap too.

jwil1
21-04-2010, 10:49 PM
My desktop goes on around 6pm when I get home from work and off at about 11:00 when I go to bed.

When I had a server (now don't have room for it :() it stayed on 24/7.

Greven
21-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I reboot when an update or something wants to reboot. Other than that, I just let it go to sleep.

I know shutting it down uses less power, but sleep mode uses hardly any power anyway & resuming from sleep is much faster than a cold boot.

Greven
21-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Pretty good for Vista!!

My father's machine on Vista - crashes every couple of days. Trying to convince him to go to Win7...

If you do an upgrade instead of a clean install, it will probably be no more stable.

utopian201
22-04-2010, 10:52 AM
My bog standard XP server has been on for about 100 days, still running without problem...

Agent_24
22-04-2010, 11:10 AM
My bog standard XP server has been on for about 100 days, still running without problem...

I wonder how long you could manage that with Windows ME? Probably about 40 seconds...

Gobe1
22-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I never had any trouble with ME

I never had it...lol went from 98 to XP :)

Ice Road Trucker
22-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I never had any trouble with ME

I never had it...lol went from 98 to XP :)

Worst I've ever used. Had nothing but problems with ME

Gobe1
22-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah i avoided it cause all my friends upgraded and hated it

Agent_24
22-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I've installed Windows ME on only two computers.

First one it would have random problems, crashed a few times but after installing all updates from Windows update it ran fine.

Second time, It was crashing so much I couldn't get the updates installed. It corrupted its own registry or something, couldn't recover it (because it crashed while trying to do that too) and then refused to install the updates because it thought there weren't any.

Symptoms you would think were classic signs of hardware failure, but no. Went back to Windows 98SE, stable as a rock.

I always thought people were joking about how bad it was, but only had to try it twice and I was amazed really at how bad it was.

It's like Microsoft shipped an alpha version or something...

KarameaDave
22-04-2010, 11:49 AM
A bit like Vista pre SP1, bloody hopeless.
Microsoft got a WOW there all right.

Sherman
22-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I leave mine on most of the time. It usually gets rebooted every few days just for a clean start (CREATIVE - I'm looking at you!!) but other than that...

Ice Road Trucker
22-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Is it true that if you restart your PC several times per day, you will damage the components within the PC?

pcuser42
22-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't think it's likely, not with modern components.

Agent_24
22-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Depends what you mean by restart. If you do a soft restart by telling windows to "restart" the system stays running the whole way through.

If you shut it off and then turn back on you will be reducing the life of some components eg: hard drive by increasing the spinup count, head load count etc or PSU with high inrush current at start (although if that shortens life is a matter of debate)

But then to leave them powered on will decrease life anyway as they are staying on, really it's probably the same either way

xyz823
22-04-2010, 09:51 PM
But then to leave them powered on will decrease life anyway as they are staying on, really it's probably the same either way

Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont.

Jen
22-04-2010, 10:02 PM
My bog standard XP server has been on for about 100 days, still running without problem...Except it must be vulnerable to attack because you haven't rebooted to apply security patches ...

I turn off my computers every night.

Ice Road Trucker
22-04-2010, 10:13 PM
My computer is turned off every night.

PiscesKiwi
22-04-2010, 11:29 PM
My mac is switched off every night... and only need to reboot if there's any software updates that needs to be rebooted.

Agent_24
23-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Except it must be vulnerable to attack because you haven't rebooted to apply security patches ...

I turn off my computers every night.

Didn't think of that one - good point

pkm
23-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Xubuntu box - once a month.

maccrazy
23-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I reboot my MacBook Air around every 10 days (obviously its in sleep mode when not in use) and my iMac every 30 or so days (runs 24/7/365).