PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about oven ventilators?

Thomas01
19-04-2010, 03:59 PM
The oven ventilator shown has been here for ages and was completely ignored by me until recently. Well it worked well so I left it alone, apart from cleaning.
But now it has given trouble. Firstly the thing refuses to run at anything except full throttle. Also there is a slot near the top that I always assumed was some sort of vent back into the kitchen and most of the vented fumes would go up the ducting shown.
If I put my hand up near the slot now there is a huge blast coming out and I feel it is the total. This has got me thinking because I recently had insulation put in the house and to be honest had misgivings about the knowledge of the installer. I wonder if he has put insulation over the ducting exhaust?
The thing is a VAPOVAC by Rotec.
I don't even know for sure if I ask an electrician or kitchen installers to check the beast.
Advice please.
Tom

wratterus
19-04-2010, 04:00 PM
If you're sure the issue started when the new insulation was installed I'd call the installers and quiz them about it.

Thomas01
19-04-2010, 04:04 PM
If you're sure the issue started when the new insulation was installed I'd call the installers and quiz them about it.

Yes - but I doubt he would know anything about electrical appliances and anyway he may not be at fault of course. He turned out to be a one man firm despite impressive advertising.

decibel
19-04-2010, 11:15 PM
The slot at the top was meant to be blocked if you had the external flue going up through the ceiling.

In cases where there was no flue you could unblock it and the air would be recirculated through a carbon filter.

Depending how old your installation is, the flue should have continued up through the ceiling space, through the roof tiles and out to the open air.

You are going to have to use a ladder, get up into the ceiling space and check it yourself - cheaper than a "tradesman".

PaulD
19-04-2010, 11:41 PM
You are going to have to use a ladder, get up into the ceiling space and check it yourself - cheaper than a "tradesman".

Depends on how much you rate the accident :D

You might be able to look up the flue if the mesh screen if any at the bottom is removed.

Thomas01
20-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Depends on how much you rate the accident :D

You might be able to look up the flue if the mesh screen if any at the bottom is removed.

Sadly my ladder climbing days are well and truly over, so I will have to wait for one of my grand daughters to go and look. Which means no accident - to me anyway.
I tried looking up the vent but the fan is off set anyway so no joy there. The vent just simply goes into the loft space which I believe is illegal now.