PDA

View Full Version : IBM T42 Screen fail

Ferg
19-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm trying to repair a mates IBM T42 laptop.

The symptoms are classic (from my reading) of a failing inverter ie:

Screen starts fine, then goes blank after about 30 seconds
Under a bright light the image can still be faintly seen in the back ground, but it's very dim.

So , I've replaced the inverter with a supplied part from IBM. Due to the age of the machine, the original parts are no longer available, but a substitute was supplied.

I replaced it successfully ( i guess) but the symptoms are still exactly the same.:annoyed: I assume I have installed it correctly as the screen starts fine.

So... I think I am now in for a backlight replacement, but before doing that is there something I am missing?

The screen is slightly pinkish at startup, is that significant?

The heading for the page about replacing back lights is kinda ominous....

"Replacing the backlight lamp is not an easy task even for experienced technicians. If you do something wrong you will permanently damage the LCD screen and have to buy a new one. Proceed on your own risk and do not blame me. "

Thanks folks,

Agent_24
19-04-2010, 09:33 AM
If you replaced the inverter and get a pink screen, that definitely means the CCFL is dying, so you need to replace the backlight

The inverter will be sensing that the lamp is faulty and shutting down

It's possible, if you're careful. But if you're not sure you should get someone to replace it for you.

Ferg
19-04-2010, 09:45 AM
It's possible, if you're careful. But if you're not sure you should get someone to replace it for you.

We're at the stage where the laptop is probably not worth much, and up until now my mate has just been using an external monitor to work on.

So, we figure , I can't make it any worse, go for it :cool:

forrest44
19-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Cool, let us know how you get on

Agent_24
19-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Are you going to replace the CCFL and wiring as a module, or replace the CCFL by itself? You will need to solder the new one in if you do this...

Ferg
19-04-2010, 03:09 PM
I am becoming afraid...very afraid!!:horrified:horrified

The inverter was worth a crack, but the more I read about replacing back lights, the more I see a the Fail Ship heading towards me.

I think I shall call this one.

Thanks for the advice folks, I'll go back to my day job.:lol: