PDA

View Full Version : When will streaming movies catch on in NZ?

Greven
17-04-2010, 05:50 PM
How long do you think it will take before something similar to the netfilx streaming service on US games consoles will be available in NZ, and do you think ISPs will embrace it by offering free/cheap traffic to NZ hosted streaming video providers?

roddy_boy
17-04-2010, 05:52 PM
7 months.

R2x1
17-04-2010, 06:14 PM
On a Thursday.

bevy121
17-04-2010, 06:28 PM
< 1700 metres

pcuser42
17-04-2010, 06:32 PM
On a Thursday.

x2 :rolleyes:

(Wonder why it's always on a Thursday.)

johcar
17-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Broadband speeds might need to be a tad higher across the board too...

gary67
17-04-2010, 07:41 PM
And data caps dropped

Wooooo did you just see that pig go flying over

Twelvevolts
17-04-2010, 08:06 PM
They offer it in a fashion now if you want to watch crap.

I was looking through Telstra Clear unmetered area yesterday http://www.unmetered.co.nz/ and nothing much you'd want to watch, but one possible exception is Aljazeera TV which is a lot better than I thought it would be. Given it is unmetered and all stream very well over the cable modem, you can at least see that they're thinking about delivering content over the net so decent movies I reckon will be about 234 days 4 days and 6 hours away.

If they can make it unmetered, then it will be a hit with Telstra Clear cable customers at least.

wainuitech
17-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Just had a look at Telstras lineup- Linked to Ziln (http://www.ziln.co.nz/) has a few options -- Currently got LaughTV playing -- very smooth, no buffering at all.

bob_doe_nz
17-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Broadband speeds might need to be a tad higher across the board too...

Well, if we had fibre to the home...
Badum Tish!

xyz823
17-04-2010, 10:41 PM
The only thing at the moment is really TVNZ On Demand. And it SUCKS. Full of ads and its really bad quality. Its quicker for me to pirate a TV show...

bob_doe_nz
17-04-2010, 10:59 PM
The only thing at the moment is really TVNZ On Demand. And it SUCKS. Full of ads and its really bad quality. Its quicker for me to pirate a TV show...

And that's the gist of it.

Chilling_Silence
17-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Nobody seen CASPA with TiVo?

Works on Big Time, they prioritize it, and all other Telecom plans it doesn't count towards your usage.

Aside from that, I know a *lot* of people who get their TV shows etc off Torrents, though the legality of that is a grey area, but it's essentially the same, you watch it "When you want", same as TiVo or On-Demand stuff.

pcuser42
17-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Who said it has ads? ;)

plod
18-04-2010, 08:09 AM
TVNZ on demand is rumored to being released on the PS3 this week. PS3 streaming music videos is great(vidzone),runs smoothly even on bigtime

Hopper
18-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Xbox Zune, but you pay for the movie and then pay for bandwidth so I have never used it.

tweak'e
18-04-2010, 01:26 PM
the big problem is how many people actually have ADSL and how many have fast enough ADSL to be able to stream videos. if its one of the setups that doesn't cache/buffer the movie you just can't watch it on basic ADSL.
i've only got low speed here (rural lines !) and you have to buffer half the video to be able to watch it uninterrupted.

Chilling_Silence
18-04-2010, 01:55 PM
It's not so much the speeds, but the bandwidth.

If you're on a semi-decent ADSL2+ as most of the country will be by the end of next year, then it's FAR more than sufficient to stream even 720p HD stuff.

What's restrictive is the bandwidth allowances, small 5 -> 20GB caps.

TiVo has proven it's easy to do when you have zero-rated usage for the data, the free music videos start almost instantly...

tweak'e
18-04-2010, 02:43 PM
got to disagree with ya chill, speed is a big issue as well as stupid data caps/price.
there won't be a lot going to ADSL2+ and most can't afford to. still at the mercy of old crappy copper wire and expensive plans.

Twelvevolts
18-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't bother streaming much with the exception of YouTube because generally I want to watch the content more than once and easier to download once. However Hotspotshield is easy to use and does the trick if I want to watch US based content directly from their web site.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

Otherwise I just use Torrents through EZTV.

Chilling_Silence
18-04-2010, 04:35 PM
there won't be a lot going to ADSL2+ and most can't afford to

If you're on broadband, and you're not on a full-speed plan, there's very little difference between that and a full-speed plan in terms of pricing. In fact, Telecom don't offer anything *but* full-speed ADSL2+ plans anymore (With the exception of Big Time being a flat-rate managed plan).

IF you're on a slower plan such as a 256 / 128k plan, then you're not going to be able to stream TV, but that's because you're unable to financially commit for whatever reason to a full-speed plan.

Either way, that's not the ISP's fault for being kind and offering a slower plan to you, is it? ;)

For example, Maxnet offer 1GB 256 / 128k for $29.95
Telecom offer 3GB Full-speed ADSL2+ (up to 24mbps down) for $39.95
End of the day, that's not Maxnets fault that you can't stream video, is it? The customer chose the slower plan ...

tweak'e
18-04-2010, 05:04 PM
if data price comes down the price for the higher speed plans will (hopefully) come down to an affordable level.
but even if you have a high speed plan, not everyone can get those speeds so your paying for a service you can't get.

if they want people to have streaming video then they need to make sure people can actually have lines that handle that speed and that the connection is not overpriced. currently the prices really need to be at least halved.

Chilling_Silence
18-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Even 2mbps is *far* more than sufficient to stream a "SCENE standard" sized XviD file of 350MB in 40 minutes. The fact Telecom will have 80% of the country with 10mbps+ by the end of next year is more than the 75% of the country that will have Fibre in a decades time.

Most SCENE releases are VBR of around 1000kbps (video) & 150kbps (audio). * 60 seconds * 40 minutes (for an episode) gives you 2760000, / 8 bits in a byte, / 1024 to get MB = 336MB (Just under 350MB).

Now that's standard compression with XviD, h.264 allows better compression at higher resolutions, but just streaming this for example, would be around 624x352 which ends up looking comparable to standard television.
Compress with h.264 and it starts looking better...

Yes, a *lot* of NZ can already get 2mbps, they just need to switch to the appropriate ADSL2+ plan ;)

However, you are right, price is a factor, but more-so for the per-GB cost. Base plan costs aren't likely to decrease any time soon. They haven't really in the last decade since Telecom first released the initial Jetstream back in the day. The difference between now and then is that the fibre backend to each Exchange / Roadside cabinet is able to handle everybody streaming video, back a decade ago it couldn't.

Hell, that's why Xbox Live didn't come to NZ for so long back in the day, because so many people were on 256 / 128k plans, and Microsoft deemed that it wasn't "true broadband".
That said, regardless of if you get 24mbps, or 3.5mbps (As I get currently, running off an exchange just over 2KM away), it's still far more than sufficient to stream TV, Movies, TiVo / CASPA and / or YouTube

Battleneter2
19-04-2010, 12:21 PM
ADSL2 is sufficient in many cases for HD but lacking the headroom for future multichannel services combined with broadband Internet access, not to mention utter rubbish up stream performance.

So basically ADSL2 is fine "Now" but will not meet the exponential increasing residential demands over the next 10 years.

Luckily the government is forward thinking enough to realise this and looking at Fibre to the door which has the additional benefit of eliminating the Telecoms near monopoly though there so called "wholesale division" lol.

As stated Data caps need to be eliminated or at least prices heavily reduced and thats the other 50% of the problem, and yep its Telecom controlling most of the capacity to NZ.

wotz
19-04-2010, 02:11 PM
How long you been working for Telecom Chill?

Greven
19-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Telecom can do a lot more a lot faster with the money than any other ISP or telco, so it makes sense to give the job to them, but I think the government should get a substantial amount of Telecom shares in return for their investment instead of just giving money away.

Chilling_Silence
19-04-2010, 02:32 PM
As stated Data caps need to be eliminated or at least prices heavily reduced and thats the other 50% of the problem, and yep its Telecom controlling most of the capacity to NZ.

Indeed.

How long you been working for Telecom Chill?

Ha, yeah right. I prefer not to work for larger corporates like that, so I can praise one in the morning and bag them in the evening depending on my mood ;)

Lets just say I'd consider myself well-educated :p