PDA

View Full Version : Fixit Centre

waldok
17-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Something I spotted in the tech blogs today, a free Fixit Centre download that's a bit like Windows 7 troubleshooting is now available back to XP. I haven't spotted detailed documentation yet but I've installed it and it seems to add a few new bits and pieces for Windows 7 users too.

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/

cheers
W

KarameaDave
17-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Your employers are certainly willing to try to innovate!
If this works it will put a few of us in the poorhouse.
I better go back to taxi driving!:D

waldok
17-04-2010, 12:29 PM
:lol: Give it a go ... I don't think so!
Maybe after Microsoft merges with Cyberdyne Systems. :devil

wainuitech
17-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I've used some of the Fixit individual operations in the past, some times they work sometimes not. Really depends on what the problem is.

Maybe after Microsoft merges with Cyberdyne Systems :lol:

KarameaDave
22-04-2010, 11:01 AM
:lol: Give it a go ... I don't think so!
Maybe after Microsoft merges with Cyberdyne Systems. :devil:lol::lol:

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Yup there's a gadget for it too

Burnzee
22-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi Waldok

Despite using two different download managers and numberous attempts, I can't get the installer to work!! Maybe, M$ has a FixIt for that too!! :D:D

Now, what was that quote I read on this forum the other day? Something about Micro$oft and Vacuum Cleaners. :p:D

BURNZEE

waldok
22-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi Burnzee, sorry to hear that. If you haven't already, give it a try without the download managers, I just clicked and saved and it worked fine (no download manager).
cheers
W

Burnzee
22-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Waldok

Thanks for your reply. Did what you suggested but still get same problem.

FixIt Centre Setup has encountered an error.

An unexpected error has occured. Please try to run Setup again.

The actual program seems to be downloading Ok. Does this mean the program is trying to contact M$ without my permission? Spyware, no way, not from Billy and his boys!! :groan:

BURNZEE

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2010, 07:29 PM
It sounds like it has downloaded but cant run. Something on your PC is stuffing it up

zqwerty
22-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I downloaded it and ran it on my laptop when this was first posted, didn't find anything wrong which it could fix. Left it running, after about two days I noticed my laptop seemed sluggish so uninstalled program, now running ok.

So much for that experience.

Burnzee
22-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Speedy

Thanks for your reply. Got me motivated to try to find what was causing the problem. After turning off antivirus, firewalls etc nothing would make Fix It install. Did some research on the net and found THIS (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fixitcenter/thread/b526310a-b6fb-4f0e-b6c7-cd49f5c7d200). Provided link in case others have same problem, solution is at bottom of page.

The page is titled Fix It Needs To Be Fixed!! I rest my case.

Anyway, it is starting to install now.

BURNZEE

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Sweet! Hmm interesting what the link says

waldok
22-04-2010, 09:54 PM
The page is titled Fix It Needs To Be Fixed!! I rest my case.

:eek: That's for version 2.0.

Anyway, good info in that thread, thanks for posting it back.

cheers
W