PDA

View Full Version : Gellting a new modem/router suggestions please

Morgenmuffel
16-04-2010, 12:38 PM
A well put post.

The WRT160N for example is crap, constantly overheating, restarting, and sometimes even permanently failing :(

Pretty much.

If it's N-Wireless I'd go for NetComm (Dynalink), Draytek, or the Apple Airport. Nothing else.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETNCMNP802

I just got a WAG160N last week, and the reviews of it are terrible, I got it because it was Cisco/linksys and that was the only brand I recognised, and i am experiencing some of those problems,
I am looking at taking it back, however when it works (the wireless part), it works well, excellent signal and good speed and it isn't effected by our phones, the problem is that it often seems to loose wireless connection, as in right now the laptop is sitting there telling me the network has an excellent signal, but it just can't connect to it, in 10mins it will probably suddenly connect beautifully.

Is this normal for wireless connections or should i replace it, and if so with what, the WAG160N was at the high end of my budget and I got it because of the brand.

The netcomm one Chill recommends, does anyone here use it with 2.4ghz phones around?

also i have read some modem/routers work at 5 ghz, would they be compatible with my laptops wireless (about 6 or 7 years old).

Any help would be appreciated as I will be heading into Rotorua tomorrow to take this one back hopefully.

wratterus
16-04-2010, 12:54 PM
My Netcomm is sitting right beside a 2.4GHz Panasonic phone, no worries at all.

SolMiester
16-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, NetComm is my favourite new router....!!

utopian201
16-04-2010, 01:27 PM
The netcomm one Chill recommends, does anyone here use it with 2.4ghz phones around?

also i have read some modem/routers work at 5 ghz, would they be compatible with my laptops wireless (about 6 or 7 years old).

Any help would be appreciated as I will be heading into Rotorua tomorrow to take this one back hopefully.

If your notebook supports 5ghz (802.11a, 802.11n) then it will work at 5ghz. But wireless generally works on 2.4ghz. Only the newer dual band ones support both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

What is your budget and what do you need? The 'ultimate' one in my opinion is the Netgear WNDR3700. Gigabit ports, dual band simultaneous N. But it doesn't have an ADSL modem.

The linksys wrt610N is the linksys equivalent, but it doesn't run as fast as the Netgear one.

Morgenmuffel
17-04-2010, 08:35 AM
My budget is around the $200 mark, hopefully lower, and i want a modem/router in one, so i guess i will try a netcomm or netgear one, bit leery of linksys now.

any good comp shops in Rotorua, I am leaving at 10ish hopefully

Sweep
17-04-2010, 08:58 AM
You may be better off going to Hamilton. PBTech.

Morgenmuffel
17-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I am thinking that, but Hamiltons over an hour away, but meh might go and have a looksie

Chilling_Silence
17-04-2010, 10:50 AM
If you *need* it to do ADSL, then yes get the NetComm, they're reliable, and don't suffer the problems like many other models. I had 5 of those Linksys ones you have, got one and did some minimal testing and it appeared fine (at first), so I recommended them and we deployed them at my old work and to my family and my 2x boss families. Took them all back in the end.

Linksys make great gear, with the exception of N-Wireless ADSL routers. Sadly, it's the same with many manufacturers though.

Let us know how you go :)

Cheers

Chill.

Morgenmuffel
17-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Took the linksys back, but decided against getting a new modem just yet, I'll try to get a list of what you guys recommend as good brands, besides all the major stores seem to have linksys or belkin.

I do want adsl and as my current modem is am rta1320 which is not always the most stable, but is good for warming the desk

Chilling_Silence
17-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I found the same with the RTA1320:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Morgenmuffel
19-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Ok I am looking at this one

http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODNCM1065

seems fairly good

Also anyone know if this is any good as a print server/ scanner sharing doodad extra function sounds good

http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODNCM1315

have to discuss with SWMBO, but the first one does look good, and i like the price

utopian201
19-04-2010, 10:04 AM
If N matters to you, just bear in mind that one you posted doesn't support 5ghz. Which means when you have both N and G traffic at the same time, both can be slowed to a crawl.
You'll be fine if you run only G traffic.

Also note that devices which have a modem inside are generally not compatible with 3rd party firmware (if you decide to go that path after the manufacturer stops giving firmware updates)

Chilling_Silence
19-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Which isn't a problem for over 9/10 people out there, many never bother with firmware updates while support is available let alone 3rd party firmwares ;)
To add to that, there is very little support for N-Wireless routers at the moment anyways, from the likes of DD-WRT etc

First one is a good price, second one I've never used but can confirm that I've used another of NetComm's 3G routers with my XT datastick and it works brilliantly.
I've also used a standalone NetComm USB Printer sharing device, it was mediocre but worked reliably once setup.

Morgenmuffel
19-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I wasn't worried about the 3g, infact it would probably be turned off, kust the print server looked good as most of the printing done here is via the lappie

Morgenmuffel
22-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Well I ordered the NB64Plus4Wn from PBTech, it arrived today, the modem was inside it's box which was inside another box for shipping, however the modem box looked a bit well used, opened the modem box up, the bits of netcomm advertising definitely didn't look new, and then when i looked through the box there was no power supply/adapter, and the serial number on the box didn't match the serial number of the modem inside, so I am sending it back (at my ****ing expense it seems, they didn't offer and i didn't think about it), and they are sending me a new one. I understand store take stuff back when customers decide the product doesn't fit their needs, but surely they check the stuff? as it definitely doesn't look brand new to me.
I only used PBTech because people on here raved about it, for previous purchases of stuff i have purchased from some of the suppliers that have terrible reps and never had a problem, mind you i have never had to send stuff back.

better bloody arrive quickly is all i can say, and i wont be using them again

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2010, 10:48 PM
That's a definite shame :(

Don't let it put you off the router though ;)

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Hmm they must be reading this forum, the modem arrived at 7:30 AM this morning
Packaging is mint
seriel numbers on box and modem match
Modem is even in a bubble wrapped pouch inside the box, and there appears to be power supply this time, haven't had time to set it up yet, but it does look like this time it is a new virginal modem, so I guess they must have cocked up last time

wratterus
23-04-2010, 09:06 AM
...it is a new virginal modem, so I guess they must have cocked up last time

:D

Chilling_Silence
23-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't know how you can be on here posting, I'd be ripping the packaging the bits and throwing the new router in right away :D

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Patience is one of my many virtues,

Also small children underfoot, who pinch or eat anything they can get their grubby mitts on is another reason

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok help, i am setting it up and the wired works fine, however i can't seem to get security to work on this one, well ok i can, but i can't get the same level i had on the previous router.
On the cisco(WAG160N) router i selected WPA2 and it did its thing and just worked
On this one(NB6PLUS4Wn), when i select WPA2 it wants me to specify a radius server?, the cisco one never asked for that, am i doing something wrong?

Currently set security to wpa-psk but would just wpa be better, as it is only going to be my laptop(now being used by SWMBO) that will be connecting to it

nedkelly
23-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Post how it goes please, my mate Civic is looking at the same router.

nedkelly
23-04-2010, 10:22 AM
make sure you selected WPA2 Personal.

Edit: Oops make that WPA2-PSK, If you select WPA2 it will ask for a radius server to handle authentication, you need PSK (Pre-Shared Key)

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Cheers for that, all set up and going, dead easy

Morgenmuffel
23-04-2010, 11:21 AM
edit.
Thats tricky, it also has a "user" account with a password of "user" setup, need to change that

Zippity
23-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Opinions and reviews are like AH's - everyone has one :)

I have a WAG320N and I love it.

No issues what-so-ever :)

Chilling_Silence
23-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah the "User" account has less access around the router though than the Admin from what I remember.

I too just set some random password and forgot about it :D