PDA

View Full Version : Oven light bulb

bk T
16-04-2010, 09:37 AM
My 10 year-old F&P Oven's light bulb has come to an end of it's live. Is it a special light bulb or just an ordinary light bulb? Has anyone ever replaced one before?

Zippity
16-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Just unscrew the glass cover and remove the bulb.

Thery are normally a standard bulb that you can buy at the supermarket - well mine was :)

Roscoe
16-04-2010, 09:58 AM
If you contact F&P I'm certain that they will tell you that it is a special bulb and that you can only buy one from them at an inflated price.

If you take the old bulb to many lighting shops they might have one at a much cheaper price.

It is an ordinary bulb with a screw fitting.

If you live in Auckland you could go to a lighting shop in Onehunga - The Lamp Man at 125 Onehunga Mall - that sells all types of bulbs. I'm quite certain he will have the bulb you want.

PaulD
16-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Oven bulbs are high temp types not ordinary. The one in our oven is marked Osram 240V 40W 300 degree. If you replace them with an ordinary SES type it won't last. I got my last one from Placemakers, just make sure it's a high temp one.

bonzo29
16-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Agree with PaulD they are special HT type but it definitely pays to shop around as speciality shops charge an arm and a leg.
I got mine from M10 Mega its been in for 18 months so far, before that I foolishly tried a std bulb, it lasted 7 days

bk T
16-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Just unscrew the glass cover and remove the bulb.

Unfortunately, there isn't any screws holding the glass cover! I now have a problem in accessing the light bulb. :o

Safari
16-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't any screws holding the glass cover! I now have a problem in accessing the light bulb. :o

It is just a push on cover. lever it off carefully.

PaulD
16-04-2010, 02:13 PM
What does the cover look like. Ours looks like a glass jar screwed into the back of the oven. The glass itself unscrews.

bk T
16-04-2010, 02:24 PM
It is just a push on cover. lever it off carefully.

If I break it, it's going to cost me much more!

What does the cover look like. Ours looks like a glass jar screwed into the back of the oven. The glass itself unscrews.

It does look like a jar screwed into the back of the over. I tried to unscrew ti but doesn't move - maybe its too old.

PaulD
16-04-2010, 02:44 PM
If I break it, it's going to cost me much more!

It does look like a jar screwed into the back of the over. I tried to unscrew ti but doesn't move - maybe its too old.

Or you are :D

Try doing it up slightly just to get it moving.

Zippity
16-04-2010, 03:04 PM

I didn't mean screws :( I mean unscrew it like a jam jar lid :)

It will only need a 1/4 turn at best.

Maybe it needs a squirt of oven cleaner spray to ungunk it first.

Try using a hot wet sponge to unscrew the glass cover :)

SurferJoe46
18-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Question: How many NZ-ers does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: Can you define 'change'?

forrest44
19-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Question: How many NZ-ers does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: Can you define 'change'?

Lol

WalOne
19-04-2010, 04:04 PM
My 10 year-old F&P Oven's light bulb has come to an end of it's live. Is it a special light bulb or just an ordinary light bulb? Has anyone ever replaced one before?

Whatever you do, take care. It is live.

:o

Ferg
19-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I have the same oven, 10 year old F&P , with a glass cover for the bulb that looks like the bottom of a jam jar. The bulb has been dead for years.

As a result of this rather funny thread, I decided to give it a shot.

I can confirm, it's just a twist to the left.....

***DON"T FORGET TO TURN THE POWER OFF THE WALL***

Off to get the bulb now.

WalOne
19-04-2010, 04:36 PM

And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,
Let's do the Time Warp again!

:rolleyes:

Ferg
19-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Advice about how to change a light bulb : Free
Petrol to get to hardware store: $0.50
New Light Bulb local hardware: $5.95
Someone getting your veiled Rocky Horror Picture Show comment: Priceless :punk

Digby
19-04-2010, 05:25 PM
They are special bulbs to stand the heat.
I used to work in an electrical wholesaler.
I suggest trying an electrical wholesaler or a lighting shop.

WalOne
19-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Advice about how to change a light bulb : Free
Petrol to get to hardware store: $0.50
New Light Bulb local hardware: $5.95
Someone getting your veiled Rocky Horror Picture Show comment: Priceless :punk

You're not really Magenta, are you. Are you?

Blue Druid
19-04-2010, 09:19 PM
If you eventually get the cover off, you can get a new bulb at The Lightbulb Man on Plimmer Steps in Wellington.

Turn the oven off at the wall before removing anything! A few drops of Handy Andy will often dissolve the grease enough to unscrew the cover.

bk T
19-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks, guys. will try it tomorrow. :)

SurferJoe46
20-04-2010, 02:42 AM
If you eventually get the cover off, you can get a new bulb at The Lightbulb Man on Plimmer Steps in Wellington.

Turn the oven off at the wall before removing anything! A few drops of Handy Andy will often dissolve the grease enough to unscrew the cover.

Youse guys still have Handy Andy?

I wondered where it all went when it was banned in the US years ago.

Something about 'sterilization of farm animals' and bringing on earthquakes if I remember correctly.

Zippity
20-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Something about 'sterilization of farm animals' and bringing on earthquakes if I remember correctly.

Weese alsoes gots Percil and Sunlite soaps.

Bamm, Black Flag, Rinso, Cows milk, green grass, blue sky and fresh air are also available in plentyful supply hair in God's own :lol::lol:

bk T
20-04-2010, 11:07 AM

I think we still have them. What was the reason for banning it?

WalOne
21-04-2010, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=SurferJoe46;899468]Youse guys still have Handy Andy?

QUOTE]

Possibly the same place where the yellow went.

(When you brush your teeth with ....)

:groan:

SurferJoe46
22-04-2010, 04:28 AM
.........Pepsodent.

I'm old and remember that!

Remember 'Bucky Beaver'?

WalOne
22-04-2010, 11:23 AM
.........Pepsodent.

I'm old and remember that!

Remember 'Bucky Beaver'?

:thumbs:

But I can't say I've heard of Bucky Beaver (I'm not too sure we should go there, especially those with any speech impediment) :D

PaulD
22-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Oven bulbs are high temp types not ordinary. The one in our oven is marked Osram 240V 40W 300 degree. If you replace them with an ordinary SES type it won't last. I got my last one from Placemakers, just make sure it's a high temp one.

Current Placemakers price $3.70, Bunnings $5.40

R2x1
22-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Handy Andy is an essential aid to polishing the corneas. Why waste money on contact lenses when a brisk rub in the right place with Handy Andy means you can custom grind your eyeball to suit the task at hand?
Hands up those who could tell which twin had the Toni, and who used Halo to avoid follicular dulling?

bk T
22-04-2010, 05:59 PM

***DON"T FORGET TO TURN THE POWER OFF THE WALL***

Off to get the bulb now.

Gave it a go just now and, twisted it forward and backward a couple of times and it finally moves left and right quite freely but stops at only about 3-4mm and refuses to go any further. How many turns did you twist before it comes out?

PaulD
22-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Not many, too hot to try now.

It's like an ES light bulb in that it will jam if the glass is tilted slightly. Try rocking it slightly as you turn and it should come right and be quite loose.

SurferJoe46
23-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Handy Andy is an essential aid to polishing the corneas. Why waste money on contact lenses when a brisk rub in the right place with Handy Andy means you can custom grind your eyeball to suit the task at hand?
Hands up those who could tell which twin had the Toni, and who used Halo to avoid follicular dulling?

More recently: The Doublemint OTHER Twins - but this time from Ipana toothpaste - they had twins too!

http://www.adclassix.com/images/56ipanatoothpaste2.jpg

But Bucky Beaver was another toothpaste spokes(person?) for Ipana Toothpaste

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pic670.jpg

Got an interesting question for youse guys:

I read recently that the US consumers insist upon their hair shampoo that it foam a lot. And the opposite is true for European shampoo users. They like it to not foam very much.

Where does Upsidedown Land stand on this important issue?

(My bad! Maybe 'stand' is not a good word - as we all know you hang inverted, from trees by your prehensile tails to keep from being flung off into space.)

SurferJoe46
23-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Hey - I just tried to Google for 'Handy Andy" and got this:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.zimlogistics.co.za, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

www.zimlogistics.co.za uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 10/17/2009 5:59 AM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate

Looks like Handy Andy is so dangerous that they can only sell it to places like Zaire (the '.za' domain?).

Oh - I see that they sell it in NZ too. Well ----------- sorry 'bout that, Gov.

Is this: 'The certificate expired on 10/17/2009 5:59 AM.' also about the same date as their last junta?

sarel
23-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Joe, the 'za' domain is not Zaire, but South Africa. Don't ask why.

sarel

SurferJoe46
23-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Joe, the 'za' domain is not Zaire, but South Africa. Don't ask why.

sarel

Well - I've missed the EDIT time-out so there's not much I can do about it.

Since the internet is forever, I guess I will be quoted for eons as the guy who thought .za was Zaire.

Damn those Yahoo slurpies!

Ferg
24-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Gave it a go just now and, twisted it forward and backward a couple of times and it finally moves left and right quite freely but stops at only about 3-4mm and refuses to go any further. How many turns did you twist before it comes out?

I just tried it, it a full 360 degree anti clockwise rotation. Once you get it moving you're on the way.