PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

Ice Road Trucker
15-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Just interested to know who does use it and who doesn't.

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Not interested. They're too intrusive and nosy (they want too much info). and most of them (this, myspace, bebo), are perfect for hackers. And sexual predators

Thats why most of them have been hacked / attacked. And in the end, they'll get compromised.

Sweep
15-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Some PressF1 members are on Facebook.

Not a lot of action however.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116716212565

nedkelly
15-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Wow had no idea we had a facebook page. Its really strange not seeing all the nick names I am use to.

stu161204
15-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Not interested. They're too intrusive and nosy (they want too much info).

I agree slightly with you their Speedy, especially Facebook wanting too much info. (Like you have to put in your first & last REAL name before you can join, at lest with Bebo, you only need to put your first name & the first letter of your last name in.)

Thatís why I avoid Facebook (Have a Bebo & Myspace accounts)

Digby
15-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I am, but I visit it only once a month or so, to catch up with some overseas friends.

The other answer is 300 million people.

Marnie
15-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I am, but mostly use it to catch up with friends and rellies. Didn't even know there was a PF1 group in there.

Greg
15-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I recently got onto it... but hardly use it.

pcuser42
15-04-2010, 08:10 PM
I signed up a week ago fairly reluctantly. I signed up only because AOL are flogging off Bebo.

Ice Road Trucker
15-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Not interested. They're too intrusive and nosy (they want too much info).

I wouldn't go on Facebook because they want to much infortmation about certain things and I don't see the point of putting your details on the internet for everybody to see.

jwil1
15-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Yep I'm on Facebook.

As a general rule I'm normally only friends with people in my real life :p

pcuser42
15-04-2010, 08:44 PM
As a general rule I'm normally only friends with people in my real life :p

I tried, but then I befriended Daniel P_____ and a whole heap of other railfans I've never met asked to be my friend :waughh:

ubergeek85
15-04-2010, 08:50 PM
:lol: same story here, well sorta.

Joined, and then about 2 weeks later this girl I've never met before added me, and I can't find any mutual friends. Absolutely no idea how she found me!

Ice Road Trucker
15-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I tried, but then I befriended Daniel P_____ and a whole heap of other railfans I've never met asked to be my friend :waughh:

Thats half of the reason I won't bother with facebook. People you don't know try to be friends with you and you don't know them at all.

lakewoodlady
15-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I'm there but don't bother with all the Mafia Wars, Farmville etc and other crap. Just share with family and close friends.

LL

ubergeek85
15-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Tell me about it, I know someone on FB (knew her from yonks ago from IRC), and all she ever does, is play FarmVille, PetVille, etc. Drives me to insanity!

pine-o-cleen
15-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't go on Facebook because they want to much infortmation about certain things and I don't see the point of putting your details on the internet for everybody to see.

That's not really the point. You don't put your details 'on the internet for everyone to see', you share them with whoever you choose. You can if you want, share your details with the world, but I don't. I use fb to stay in touch with family / friends.

Gangplank
15-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I started to use it when I went over to Canada, and then I thought it was vastly superior to bebo and kept on using it.

gary67
16-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Don't use it as I find those who do tend not to be sociable anymore. To me social networking is going out and seeing your mates so therefore I don't use any Anti social networking sites

Gobe1
16-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Thats half of the reason I won't bother with facebook. People you don't know try to be friends with you and you don't know them at all.

Ive been on there for about two months now and have never had anyone i dont know try to add me as a friend
I have had this in youtube tho, and Spam from that also
And as far as giving out too much information....who gives a crap.

CYaBro
16-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I only use the Facebook ap on my iphone.
If I didn't have that I wouldn't use it.

Ice Road Trucker
16-04-2010, 11:45 AM
That's not really the point. You don't put your details 'on the internet for everyone to see', you share them with whoever you choose.

If your somebody else is looking for you then they get your details by looking up on the Facebook Search engine.

Agent_24
16-04-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't like Failbook

pcuser42
16-04-2010, 08:30 PM
What's wrong with Failbook (http://failbook.com)? :D

robbyp
17-04-2010, 12:40 AM
That's not really the point. You don't put your details 'on the internet for everyone to see', you share them with whoever you choose. You can if you want, share your details with the world, but I don't. I use fb to stay in touch with family / friends.

I use twitter instead. I don't like facebooks terms and conditions. You may not be sharing you personal details with the world, but you are giving them to facebook as the company, and they are working out ways to make money from you, and you don't have any control. I hate facebook.

Sweep
17-04-2010, 12:55 AM
I use twitter instead. I don't like facebooks terms and conditions. You may not be sharing you personal details with the world, but you are giving them to facebook as the company, and they are working out ways to make money from you, and you don't have any control. I hate facebook.

You make a good point about terms and conditions but many can't even be bothered reading same when installing operating systems or applications.

rob_on_guitar
17-04-2010, 01:17 AM
I have one, not fussed over the info, and I dont think Id be worthy enough to be hacked, my friends and family are all over the world, Id rather be in touch with them then not.

Ice Road Trucker
17-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Another reason not to use Facebook you may lose your job.

http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/nzlifestyle/2218/?page_is_popup=1&photo=0

pcuser42
17-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Yet another reason to be careful on social networking. (That in itself isn't a reason not to use it.)

Strommer
18-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Not interested. They're too intrusive and nosy (they want too much info). and most of them (this, myspace, bebo), are perfect for hackers. And sexual predators

Thats why most of them have been hacked / attacked. And in the end, they'll get compromised.

You can make your FB as private as you want, e.g. for only a small group of your trusted friends / family. Hackers, the general public, applications - all can be shut out. The trouble is that many FB users are too slack or stupid to set privacy options.

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Nah, still wouldnt join any of them. The only program I use is Skype, since a few rellies are on it. And Mirc, to chat to mates overseas. I dont even use Messenger. Since, its on the Xbox. I'll use that instead (if I have to, which isnt that often)

Battleneter2
18-04-2010, 12:14 PM
FB is good for keeping in touch with friends and family you perhaps don't see that often. You can go many months of not talking to someone but still roughly know that they are alive and well etc, very useful.

You dont HAVE to share your life details with the world, you can set to completely private to only your FB friends, and only join people you know in real life.

Most problems come to people that except "Everyone" and have 1000's of so called friends, personally I don't get that but meh.

radium
18-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Well I love Facebook, No I don't play Farmville or use any apps for that matter, Just great easy way to keep in touch with friends and family, and I can upload photos instead of emailing them out.

You DON'T have to use your real name, who are they to know, but if you don't what's the point...:confused:
I have met countless old school and long lost friends who I am so glad I found.

As for privacy issues you can keep your Facebook a close book if you want. ;) and how much info you divulge is entirely up to you.
Anyhow as long as you are safe with your internet security you should be fine (no promises but hey what are the odds)

For me the pleasure of Facebook out weights the risks of being hacked.

Yip I started the Facebook PressF1 group (with only a few members so far) and now under Strommers (Steve L) request I have made it a closed group, so those of you concerned about privacy may be more inclined to join up. :thumbs:

Join here :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=116716212565&ref=ts

Strommer
18-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks Radium. FB request to join sent. :D

Agree with you on these points: "No I don't play Farmville or use any apps for that matter, Just great easy way to keep in touch with friends and family, and I can upload photos instead of emailing them out." And like you, I have been reconnected with long lost friends.

OT, but your sig cracks me up:
:thumbs: "Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion." :lol: :lol:

radium
18-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Done.

wainuitech
18-04-2010, 10:34 PM
On there only because an old chat friend I hadn't heard from in years suddenly showed up out of the blue. Must remind her of out "little bet";)

SWMBO joined and now plays some game on there when shes bored and nothing on TV, and to stay in contact with some over seas friends.

nofam
19-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I think Facebook, to their credit, has tightened up access a lot since it started - the only issue with that is that a lot of people ignored the message that there were new security options, and left their profiles open.

Provided you take the time to lock it down, there's no issue IMHO.