PDA

View Full Version : Can headphone cables be 'killed' by the cable/connector they're plugged into?

Kindel
14-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I've had the cables from 3 sets of Sennheiser 212pros have one channel die within 3 weeks of each other. These had been working for 3-4 years (tested them all on my ipod, and swapped each channel where they plug into the cans to ensure it is indeed the cables).
Anyway I was thinking this is a very bizarre coincidence, so is there any possibility that it's what they're plugged into?

All it is is a DSE audio extension cable like http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/audio-.../prod66724.html (it too has been fine and used with these headphone cables for years); plain old 3.5mm, m end in the PC audio jack, f end with the headphone cable plugged in. It couldn't be...'overloading' cables plugged into it or something could it?

Otherwise this is a very weird coincidence.

coldot
14-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd try a stretch test near the connectors. Break often occurs in the couple of inches near the connector. Try gentle pull (then a stronger pull) to see if the cable does stretch at that point, both ends. If the strands of wire are all broken then you get a rubbery stretch. Or try the opposite of stretch. Plug in headphones and listen to some source then push (compress the length) from 2 inches out from the jack/plug and sometimes that will bring the broken ends together long enough for you to confirm that's where the break is.
You can re-terminate if you have a small soldering iron and if you can mange with a cable that's 2 inches shorter than before.

Agent_24
17-04-2010, 08:14 PM
A cable by itself couldn't "overload" another cable.

But if there is something wrong with your amplifier that could be causing trouble...
I see though you are plugging directly into the motherboard, so this shouldn't be a problem.

If all the headphones are the same age, and all broke in the same way, it makes sense to me they all broke due to the same problem in the design. Headphone cables are prone to breaking because they are always getting moved around a lot anyway.