PDA

View Full Version : Missing device file

19-08-2001, 11:59 AM
I purchased and installed what I thought was First Aid for 98 Windows only to read in the fine print later it was for 95 Windows. I now have a booting up message which reads:
Cannot find a device file ...the windows registry or SYSTEM.INI. file refers to this device...
C:\progra~1\CYBERM~2\cmap.vxd..
I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling First Aid, System files, Win 98 and device Manager to find file will no results. Any ideas ?
Thanks.

19-08-2001, 01:46 PM
Windows is looking for the file mentioned, but it is not there.

First open c:\windows\system.ini , and search of any references of the cmap.vxd.
If you find any then comment out the line by placing a ; at the start of the line.

If there are no references, then run MSCONFIG and check if there are any programs in the startup that load from C:\progra~1\CYBERM~2, if there are disable them.

If that doesn't work, either run regclean (available somewhere at the microsoft site). Or run REGEDIT and search for cmap.vxd and delete any references to it.

Remember to backup the registry first.

19-08-2001, 03:28 PM
As b m has said looks like either system.ini or the registry still contains references to that program and windows is looking for the related files, the easiest option is just to ignore the msg when you boot, although it will probably get on your nerves after a while.

Otherwise your going to have to go in and manually edit the system.ini file and/or the registry - not for the faint hearted - but bear in mind even if u screw up the registry there is a way to restore it to its previous state.

Alternatively running a program such as regclean may fix the problem.