PDA

View Full Version : What religions can get off jury duty?

lance4k
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
The law says if you have a religious belief that jury duty is wrong, you can be excused from jury duty.
Anyone know what religion has that belief?

plod
12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Tell them your religion is Hells angels or mongrel mob. See if their still want you

Winston001
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure but Jehovah Witnesses?

Trev
12-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Go to your local courthouse and find out.

Do I have to serve on a jury?

Yes – unless there is a very good reason for you to be excused or disqualified. Examples include where, because of business commitments, childcare responsibilities, or religious beliefs, you would suffer serious inconvenience or hardship. If you are over 65 and do not wish to serve, or if you have served on a jury within the last two years, you can be excused at your request.

Some people cannot serve on a jury. Full details of people who cannot serve are on your jury summons. If you think you cannot serve, or if you are not sure, please contact the Jury Officer at the Court.

How do I apply to be excused from jury service?

If you believe you have good reason to be excused from jury service, you should complete Section C of the Response Form, included with your jury summons, and send it to the Court as soon as possible.

You should give proof of your reasons. If you are applying to be excused because your absence would cause your employer hardship, you should have a supporting letter from your employer.

You will be advised whether or not you have been excused. If you are excused that does not mean your name will be removed from the jury list. You may receive another jury summons in the future
:)

roddy_boy
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
That was not helpful at all.

ubergeek85
12-04-2010, 11:38 PM
JW's don't have to serve. My mother is one, and got off once because of it.

Same reason they don't vote.

SurferJoe46
13-04-2010, 02:25 AM

JW's don't have to serve. My mother is one, and got off once because of it.

Same reason they don't vote.

As a Witness myself, I know that it's a conscience-thing and not so much of an 'official edict'. If you feel that you cannot, for spiritual reasons, judge another person for motives and persona, then you might have an argument and that MIGHT get off the jury pool.

It usually won't buy you any slack in the US. Most judges LIKE Witnesses on the panel and try to keep them there - in spite of your protestations.

Voting is a totally different situation for more obvious reasons. You can however work for the city/state/country if you find it does not offend your conscience and your moral values. It is heartily advised to not bear firearms or weapons in that position though. Again - if you are OK with it, then it becomes a matter of education and your moral fine-tuning. Most weapon-bearing police and law enforcement personnel are not Witnesses as it works out.

That's not to say that some municipalities will wave them as potential jurors if they indicate they are Witnesses though. Some judges just don't want grounds for an appeal later if someone who didn't want to be on the panel for religious preferences was on a jury that found their client guilty. It's a slight point and sometimes a judge or prosecuting attorney will opt them out for that reason.

I personally would have no problem with being empaneled but would try to stay out of a capitol offense situation though - and that's MY conscience in action there. However, that isn't likely to happen to me in the foreseeable future as I am more than 50 miles from the nearest courthouse and they won't pay for the mileage to-from the court for me. It would be a hardship and that's a legal opt-out reason for not being on a jury roster.

So-o-o-o - how many want to become Witnesses just to beat out jury duty? I think the motives would be questioned however.

Sweep
13-04-2010, 02:31 AM
The law says if you have a religious belief that jury duty is wrong, you can be excused from jury duty.

What law is that lance4k?

gary67
13-04-2010, 06:47 AM
I got off twice by saying I had exams that week that I had to attend since I was studying to help me get back into work after surgery and that if I flunked the course by having to attend jury service would they pay for me to resit, they let me off since it was true

prefect
13-04-2010, 06:53 AM
I have been picked about every 10 months for 10 years I just write in saying it will hurt my business.
I dont have a problem doing it but dont want to lose customers to my opposition while I am sitting on my ass in a courthouse in auckers.

pctek
13-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Nope.
My parents are. They got called recently, or at least my mum, she got off on age/health.

Trev
13-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I kept getting called up just after 2 years all the time and filled in the form complaining about it. They sent me back a letter saying I don't have to do jury service any more and to keep the letter for reference.

wmoore
13-04-2010, 08:39 AM

The Jedi religion maybe.

Arnie
13-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I got off twice by saying I had exams that week that I had to attend since I was studying to help me get back into work after surgery and that if I flunked the course by having to attend jury service would they pay for me to resit, they let me off since it was true

And did you flunk it anyway???:banana

roddy_boy
13-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I kept getting called up just after 2 years all the time and filled in the form complaining about it. They sent me back a letter saying I don't have to do jury service any more and to keep the letter for reference.

What was your reason for not wanting to do it?

Sweep
13-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I was only called for Jury duty twice and both times I attended while living in Sydney, Australia.

I never tried to get out of the duty.