PDA

View Full Version : wmp lags in full screen

h4rsheys
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
For some reason whenever I play a video on windows media player in full-screen, the video tends to get all choppy and glitchy after around 10-12 seconds.

My hypothesis is that it may be associated with my wireless connection, as whenever I am connected to the internet this problem occurs, but when I am not connected, there is no lag in fullscreen.

I'm running win 7 ultimate, 4gb ram, nvidia 7600gt, 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo.

any ideas?

pkm
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
For some reason whenever I play a video on windows media player in full-screen, the video tends to get all choppy and glitchy after around 10-12 seconds.

My hypothesis is that it may be associated with my wireless connection, as whenever I am connected to the internet this problem occurs, but when I am not connected, there is no lag in fullscreen.

I'm running win 7 ultimate, 4gb ram, nvidia 7600gt, 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo.

any ideas?

Something I always do is install alternatives
IE & firefox
WMP & VLC
etc

Compare, helps to narrow down the problem. I know that WMP actively goes online to find coverart and all that jazz. I think when you set it up for the first time it should ask you.

wratterus
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Got the latest graphics drivers installed? Are you running a 32bit or 64 bit OS?

h4rsheys
13-04-2010, 02:55 PM
vlc is installed. it runs SUPER glitchy and the audio is out of sync with video - even when its not in full screen

the player for itunes does the same thing. video is choppy but audio remains relatively in sync.

wmp is my main player because its video playback is fine in normal mode, but full screen it shows a a bit of lag.

this problem was not an issue when i was running xp on this computer with an integrated graphics chipset... so i know its probably not a hardware problem?

im running win 7 x64 bit, and with a geforce 7600gt.

ill update the graphic cards drivers now to see if it helps.

h4rsheys
13-04-2010, 04:30 PM
updating card did not help. any other ideas?

please and thank you.

GameJunkie
13-04-2010, 04:40 PM
http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm

also installs media player classic home cinema.

give it a go

h4rsheys
13-04-2010, 05:12 PM
alright ill try it.

any thoughts on this being related to my internet connection though?

that's what my hypothesis is, any possible explanation as to how this might occur and what can fix it?

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Probably the wireless its crap. Dont use wireless to play whatever. Or if you're playing whatever from a site. Dont.

h4rsheys
13-04-2010, 05:23 PM
these are movies stored on my hdd.

they arent even big files, around 100-200 mb at most.

they play fine when not in full screen, while internet is connected.

they also play fine in fullscreen, but only when internet is disabled.

SurferJoe46
14-04-2010, 10:03 AM
If you've got WMP11 - like I HAD - emphasis on HAD - then you will get that like I did too.

OK - let me clarify that a little. WMP11 phones home all the time and that takes a lot of resources into the dark hole just trying to spool that info back and forth to M$ and your machine.

I "lost" all my MP3 files (again - but this time I figured it out before it happened) when WMP11 got to a certain limit or full, so it seems. This was on both of my XP-P machines, but so far I have not had this problem in the Win-7 player.

Somehow when I get to about 14,000 MP3s, the whole system shuts down and won't accept any more files and won't recognize any folders to monitor either.

I think there's a bug in WMP11 that keeps the files/folder count to a ceiling and the fact that just before it all goes to hell in a handbasket, I TOO got the same stuttering in my vid playback in full screen.

I rolled back to WMP9 and will just have to live with less graphics and album candy - but that's the price for having so many files in it. However I don't know if there's a version of WMP9 for your Win7 opsys.

Results: no stuttering and lurching vids in any mode and I can find and monitor all my MP3s again.

I am relatively happy. :annoyed: