PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus For WINME

Shortstop
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I have this aging laptop running WINME (yes I know, my bad) which we use only 3 or 4 times a year when we go away on trips. Thdere does not seem to be a free AV that supports ME. Have you any suggestions on how to protect the laptop - it's not worth paying for an AV app or a new OS? Thanks

lakewoodlady
11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
There is this one http://www.clamwin.com/

LL

Shortstop
11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Haven't come across that one.Thanks Lakewoodlady, will give it an try.

Greven
11-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Does clamwin have realtime protection?

Speedy Gonzales
11-04-2010, 10:14 PM
According to the site

Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware. If thats what you mean

pkm
11-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi
By saying you use it 4 times a year, the laptop is never connected to the internet, then how can it get a virus?
If it does get a virus say through usb, most of the nasty effects wont happen if its not connected to anything.

Lastly, even if it did have AV its still full of vulnerabilitys and exploits. Its like owning a car with no warrant,rego and has rusty holes in the floor.

Grimy
11-04-2010, 10:52 PM
My sister had (has) my old PC with ME. I found through Download.com (with some direction from other posters here);
AntiVirus;
EAV Antivirus
Bit Defender Antivirus Free V.10

Anti Malware;
Spyware Blaster
Spybot S&D 1.62
Advanced System Protection Personal Edition

Firewall;
Soft Perfect Personal Firewall

I can't vouch for any of these (apart from Spybot), as my sister never installed any---waited 'til she got my XP hand-me-down, with antivirus/antimalware/spyware all loaded and up to date. Wonder why you bother sometimes.......:waughh:

pkm
12-04-2010, 12:10 AM
My sister had (has) my old PC with ME. I found through Download.com (with some direction from other posters here);
AntiVirus;
EAV Antivirus
Bit Defender Antivirus Free V.10

Anti Malware;
Spyware Blaster
Spybot S&D 1.62
Advanced System Protection Personal Edition

Firewall;
Soft Perfect Personal Firewall

I can't vouch for any of these (apart from Spybot), as my sister never installed any---waited 'til she got my XP hand-me-down, with antivirus/antimalware/spyware all loaded and up to date. Wonder why you bother sometimes.......:waughh:
I know what you mean

But what many people want is an internet appliance ie something like chrome OS or ubuntu netbook remix.
Anything that prevents them from clicking on the dancing pigs, or the LOLcats is avoided :P

Renmoo
12-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Use the LiveOS feature of any Linux distro everytime you need to use the laptop

Done! No need to worry about virus as it does not stay in the system + you get a fresh, new OS :)

pkm
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Use the LiveOS feature of any Linux distro everytime you need to use the laptop

Done! No need to worry about virus as it does not stay in the system + you get a fresh, new OS :)
Yes and no, Yes technically good idea which I use with an old laptop with CF card for a hard drive. Difficult for newbies to figure out if no ones around to show them.

supergran
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I got sick of our old laptop nearly stopping running a virus checker, so I just don't use one. The ram thingy is dying, so it runs XP on only 256 and not many virus checkers liked that. I don't click on attachments, and it is used to check Stuff.co and nzcity, and my mail. So far, 2 years later, I have been lucky, but if I get unlucky, well so be it. At least the laptop is usable without one.

Shortstop
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I had to conclude that after a couple of hours supposedly updating but with no visual clues on the screen that Clamwin was not updating, so it mightn't be too useful

And PKM - despite your sneers the old thing performs perfectly usefully with email and internet on dial-up in the back blocks of NZ.

Thanks for some of the other suggestions but Spybot, Malwarebytes etc no longer service ME.

Cheers

sroby
13-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind that modern AV often needs a PC with a bit of grunt, otherwise it can slow the old thing down to a crawl, especially on startup. :badpc:
Also check CPU & RAM requirements

I found this on another forum

"Avast, AVG, Avira, NOD32, Norton, McAfee, Trend, Sophos, Panda, F-Prot, F-Secure, and BitDefender all appear to have dropped support for Win98 and WinME. (Panda has even dropped support for Win2K.)

Kaspersky's version 6 (not their latest version, but apparently still supported) claims to run on Win98.

However, I've found three rather obscure products which still claim to support Win98 and/or Win98SE and WinME in their current/latest editions: One is Solo AntiVirus, from SRN Micro. Another is VirusBuster, from an Hungarian company of the same name. The third is DrWeb, from a Russian company."

pkm
14-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I had to conclude that after a couple of hours supposedly updating but with no visual clues on the screen that Clamwin was not updating, so it mightn't be too useful

And PKM - despite your sneers the old thing performs perfectly usefully with email and internet on dial-up in the back blocks of NZ.

Thanks for some of the other suggestions but Spybot, Malwarebytes etc no longer service ME.

Cheers
Im not sneering, I quite like using old pcs.

My laptop is a 1.5ghz with 256mb of ram,no battery,wifi usb. Im looking for a pentium I at the moment as a challenge. But I dont use an old version of windows online on it.

Im just saying its dangerous thinking to assume that an ancient windows OS with a not well known AV will be safe online.

Shortstop
14-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree with your last line - but as I say it's not worth investing in a new OS or AV for it. I was just looking for any advice or app to keep it out of trouble. When it's finally not worth the effort I'll get one of the netbooks that are currently selling for the price of a good night out. Cheers.