PDA

View Full Version : How best to capture mp3 file?

R.M.
10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
The camera club I belong to sends photos (print & electronic format) away from here to other places in NZ for judging and critiquing. Up till now we have sent away tapes (you remember them??) and when they come back I transpose these comments from the tape into mp3 files to play from my laptop at club nights.

Now we are finding that fewer people have taperecorders and I am trying to drag our judges into a more modern era!

What is the easiest (and cheapest) way to capture mp3 files? And what equipment do we need?

All comments appreciated. :)

KarameaDave
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
1.Laptop or PC, a suitable microphone and Audacity with the LAME plugin.
2.Some MP3 players have a recorder function too.
3.My Canon digital camera will record MP3s as well.
4.I think some mobile phones will also.

R.M.
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes - I use Audacity to transpose the tape files into mp3 format. :)

You say 'suitable microphone' - are you able to be more precise?

I have a 'voice recorder' but wonder if it might be a bit 'too much' for some of our judges...

The Canon digital camera - I had a G3 when we were in Europe 5-6 years ago - the recording facility was invaluable in keeping track just where the photo was taken.

And yep - my phone records as well, but my heart quails a little in teaching (helping!!) some of the folk to get the file to me by email or cd!

Thanks for your comments. :)

KarameaDave
10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
A suitable microphone would have the 3.5mm mini jack plug
to plug in to the sound card.

gary67
10-04-2010, 02:59 PM
any microphone that will plug into your laptop as a hand held one will pick up better than say a built in one if your laptop has a built in one

pkm
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Using laptop just be sure to have a listen when u start recording to ensure that something is being recorded, and you can actually hear the person you want more than the backround noise.