PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise SAS disks versus SSD

somebody
09-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Has anyone here had any experience running high performance SSDs in an enterprise environment in place of server-grade 10k or 15k SAS disks (2.5")? I have read a number of things online, but am curious to see whether anyone on this forum has done it (even in a dev/test environment), and if so, what your thoughts are.

pkm
09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I think you wont find many have done so. It will be more interesting once SSDs are a little more mature and cheaper / gB

I havent actualy seen any case studys of SSD usage in the enterprise, some one will have done it

qazwsxokmijn
09-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Try googling some of that stuff out. I doubt there have been many if any people who's replaced an entire SAS-based server arrays with SSDs. Imagine the cost! :eek:

somebody
09-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Try googling some of that stuff out. I doubt there have been many if any people who's replaced an entire SAS-based server arrays with SSDs. Imagine the cost! :eek:

I have used a number of search engines, and read a number of articles, but am wondering if anyone here has done it - or personally knows of cases where it has been done.

I don't know if you've looked at the cost of high performance SAS drives lately, but they're not cheap!!! e.g. http://nz.ingrammicro.com/_layouts/CommerceServer/IM/ProductDetails.aspx?id=NZ01@@2320@@10@@00000000000 1008204&path=%3fPNavDS%3dNtk%3aProducts%257cSAS%257c1%257c

inphinity
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
It depends on the specific environment, in some cases yes they are an improvement over even 15k SAS drives, but in many cases, they are not - especially given that often you can get a RAID 5 or RAID 01 array for the cost of the SSD.

nofam
09-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I have used a number of search engines, and read a number of articles, but am wondering if anyone here has done it - or personally knows of cases where it has been done.

I don't know if you've looked at the cost of high performance SAS drives lately, but they're not cheap!!! e.g. http://nz.ingrammicro.com/_layouts/CommerceServer/IM/ProductDetails.aspx?id=NZ01@@2320@@10@@00000000000 1008204&path=%3fPNavDS%3dNtk%3aProducts%257cSAS%257c1%257c

SolMiester had a thread up a few days ago about running SSD's for a database server, which would be a perfect application for them, but like most people, he's waiting for the Sandforce controller to become mainstream first. I assume you're talking about arrays where I/O is more important that capacity?

SolMiester
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Has anyone here had any experience running high performance SSDs in an enterprise environment in place of server-grade 10k or 15k SAS disks (2.5")? I have read a number of things online, but am curious to see whether anyone on this forum has done it (even in a dev/test environment), and if so, what your thoughts are.

I have ordered a Sandforce controller SSD($750 100GB) for 1 of our database servers that run in a virtual environment. They have only recently been released but are supposed to be enterprise class and do not require TRIM commands to stay at peak performance.

They are the same size as 2.5" SAS we have in our MSA50 trays so should just slip in....
If performance is good etc, I will then have to look at RAIDing for tolerance...

SolMiester
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
It depends on the specific environment, in some cases yes they are an improvement over even 15k SAS drives, but in many cases, they are not - especially given that often you can get a RAID 5 or RAID 01 array for the cost of the SSD.

You must be talking about sequental writes\reads, as SSD are about 40+ times faster in random read\write situations, ie: database data files and network shares