PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on HWLABS BLACKICE GT STEALTH 360

hueybot3000
08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
For my case build, first choice was Swiftech's MCR-320 but computer lounge have said they wont have any for a couple of months and no one else seems to have them so my second choice is the hwlabs 360

Anyone using one? Im currently using a 240mm which has been good so id imagine this one will be along the same lines but theres not much really in the way of comparison reviews that I can find

Deimos
09-04-2010, 12:40 AM
From the reviews I've read they are average at best, really well made and look real nice but if you are building a high load loop with one of these rads it won't handle it, you need fans with high static pressure (normally 2000rpm+) which is pointless as most people build watercooling for the noise levels AND performance not one for the other type deal...

I don't know why they are thinking of ditching Swiftech stuff, it really annoys me as I too was looking at getting an MCR320, you just can't beat Swiftech for value for money, the MCR320 can hold its own with the best of them and performs really well at low fan speeds too.

if you really want to know the difference with rads you have to consider things like fin density (higher is not necessarily better) and flow rate.

Also, if you do decide to go for Swiftech rads, stacking them is not so great, the reviews I read, a stacked MCR320 (thats effectively 2 MCR320s sandwiching some fans) it performed slightly worse than a single MCR320 with the same fans.

If you can't find any swiftech gear, or computerlounge refuses to stock them (bastards) let me know as I may look at importing some stuff.

Deimos
09-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Oh, and based on the reviews I read (about three of them) I refuse to buy HW Labs rads, even if that is the only thing for sale in NZ I would import my own rad at $75 for postage to avoid buying one.

qazwsxokmijn
09-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Yeah as Demos says you'd need some high-ish RPM fans for such a thick and closely-packed finned radiator.

pctek
09-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Swiftech's MCR-320 but computer lounge have said they wont have any for a couple of months

Im currently using a 240mm which has been good

Why not wait then.

hueybot3000
09-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Can't wait for 2 reasons
1. I need it so I can finish my drawings for the lasercutter
2. I'm young and want what I want when I want it

hueybot3000
09-04-2010, 05:52 PM
If you can't find any swiftech gear, or computerlounge refuses to stock them (bastards) let me know as I may look at importing some stuff.

Thanks for the info, yeah I'm thinking about importing as well. A couple of years ago I got a few things from Petra's in USA, may go back there or have a look around oz websites. If your thinking about importing though I'm keen to split shipping costs