View Full Version : Wifi security

gary67
08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
What's the better encryption the selection is

WPA- personal
WEP
WPA- enterprise
WPA2- enterprise

as we just got wireless at home and not sure which one to go for at the moment it's turned off

PinoyKiw
08-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Any of them would be better than nothing.

I beleive but will stand corrected if I am wrong, that WPA is better than WEP. I cannot comment on the differences between WPA and WPA2 though, know nothing about that.

nedkelly
08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
WPA2 but depending on the wireless card it might not be able use WPA2 so I use wpa and MAC filtering

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
WPA 2 / WPA 2 enterprise would be better. Altho all adapters would have to have one of these options, for it to work

nedkelly
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I have quite a few wireless cards that only support up to wpa1 or only wep. But I have a solution to the WEP problem, I have a hidden wireless network that I only enable when I need it. Or for my phone.

gary67
08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Cool thanks Guys is set to WPA2 and working fine

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I have quite a few wireless cards that only support up to wpa1 or only wep. But I have a solution to the WEP problem, I have a hidden wireless network that I only enable when I need it. Or for my phone.

If you update the drivers, it MAY give you more options

nedkelly
08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I tried that I think

johnd
08-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Hidden networks are not secure - all you have to do is install something like Netstumbler and you can see them!

johnd
08-04-2010, 11:56 PM
What's the better encryption the selection is

WPA- personal
WEP
WPA- enterprise
WPA2- enterprise

as we just got wireless at home and not sure which one to go for at the moment it's turned off
As I understand it, the enterprise options are not usually an option for the home situation since you require an authentication server.

nedkelly
09-04-2010, 08:57 AM
yeah but the fact it also has MAC filtering really helps

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Yup, go with the personal options, otherwise AFAIK they look for something like a RADIUS server.

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2010, 08:58 AM

That gets to be a paid REAL quick, and won't stop a determined cracker...

johnd
09-04-2010, 06:35 PM
OK - but MAC filtering is not secure these days - see the list of "Things you can do to secure your wireless network" on the right side of the following page: http://www.wardrive.net/. Note that it is now crossed out as providing very little security.

True - it is better than not doing it but only for home networks.

nedkelly
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
yeah but how long will it take them to find a MAC that I have?

johnd
09-04-2010, 07:23 PM
yeah but how long will it take them to find a MAC that I have?
Less than a minute I believe (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43).

waldok
09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
While better than nothing, WEP is almost useless now. There's easily available software that can crack WEP in minutes.

WPA2 personal is best for home users, with a strong password. The enterprise version needs a server. Otherwise use WPA personal.

Personally I use the string generator at Random.org and get a 50 character password (up to 63 characters are supported). Sure it may be overkill but it's easy enough and at least I can be fairly sure the neighbours aren't slowing down my internet. :lol:

Even if you don't want to go that far, you should go with at least 13 characters, and change your SSID to something unique. From memory the SSID is used as a seed for the encryption, so having a common SSID is less secure.

cheers
W

pkm
11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
yep go on youtube 'crack wep in ten minutes'

Also consider that broadband is not scarce and expensive like it was in 2003 when WIFI was new and networks were relatively open.

AZ1
12-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I have a Toshiba L300 Notebook and it has a built-in wireless card. I use WPA2-Personal for my Network.

AZ1
12-04-2010, 08:37 AM
While better than nothing, WEP is almost useless now. There's easily available software that can crack WEP in minutes.

WPA2 personal is best for home users, with a strong password. The enterprise version needs a server. Otherwise use WPA personal.

Personally I use the string generator at Random.org and get a 50 character password (up to 63 characters are supported). Sure it may be overkill but it's easy enough and at least I can be fairly sure the neighbours aren't slowing down my internet. :lol:

Even if you don't want to go that far, you should go with at least 13 characters, and change your SSID to something unique. From memory the SSID is used as a seed for the encryption, so having a common SSID is less secure.

cheers
W

I agree. WEP is not useful now days, so if you want to use WEP then you rather use Unsercured with no protection