PDA

View Full Version : Dell XPS laptop - how to do full restore?

BasketballOSU
08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I had a thread here a couple of days ago asking about viruses and stuff. After battling for a while I simply decided to back all my stuff up and full restore the thing to its factory settings.

How do I do this? I have the original CDs the came with it...

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Boot from it, or if its got a restore partition, press whatever function key

wainuitech
08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
You mean This thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=108677) -- Given up --awhhh com-on its not that hard, got 3 of the buggers clean since that thread, theres an easy way without slaving. What stage did you get to ?

BasketballOSU
08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
nvm.

BasketballOSU
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
wainu, it's just not worth it for me. I can't spend days trying to clean it up, I've got an unbelievable amount of stuff to do.

I backed up my stuff and I am ready to just start over.

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
When you get to whatever setup (the 1st OS youre installing) delete all of the partitions, then recreate them (just make sure theyre big enough). Then install XP, then whatever after its installed

wainuitech
08-04-2010, 06:59 PM
If they are the full recovery CD's from Dell, you should have the option to do a full recovery - some have an options / advanced button - this will wipe the complete, all data, the OS the LOT. then reinstall from fresh.

It could also be a windows XP CD with Dell writing on it, then you load in the drivers separately.

When it boots from the CD does it give These pictures (http://www.bootstrike.com/WindowsXP/cleaninstallxp.html) - if so you want to delete the partition, and let it install.

Edit: if they are XP CDs from Dell, make sure you have the product key - if you dont you wont be able to install windows, it will be on the underside of the Laptop, or in the packaging along with the CD's, unless its pre Pided into the CD (already included)