PDA

View Full Version : Slow internet speeds

narutophantom
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi I am currently in Papamoa at a relatives house and connected to ADSL2+, however I am experiencing very slow speeds compared to my router stats.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:23:45
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 716 / 17.844
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3,5 / 7,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14,0 / 13,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IKNS
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 382
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

And the speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/775258231.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

pkm
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
6mbit is slow compared to the theoretical max,yes.
Whats video streaming like?
What plan?
What isp? eg if you were on bigtime id expect that from 4pm-10pm etc.
Bear in mind also that is just ONE measurement. things may change over time,so id do several to get a trend. Kind of like getting your blood pressure !

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
And if the ISP is Xnet, say no more :p You cant even get decent speeds on ADSL 1 !

narutophantom
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Video streaming is fine, cant do HD continously on YT though.
And I think the plan is a capped one (probably explorer) because I'm not noticing any throttling while torrenting.

Also I thought the speed was quite low considering the line attenuation and the fact that the exchange is just down the road.

pkm
08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Video streaming is fine, cant do HD continously on YT though.
And I think the plan is a capped one (probably explorer) because I'm not noticing any throttling while torrenting.

Also I thought the speed was quite low considering the line attenuation and the fact that the exchange is just down the road.

I cant say too much about youtube "HD", even on our corporate internet provided by DMZglobal it didnt work very well.

did you do some more speedtests?

So in other words you are at a relatives house who have no idea what they have bought and your thinking its crap compared to what you expect. Are you staying there long?

decibel
09-04-2010, 06:02 PM

The "line" speed is 17 Mb/s - nothing to complain about.
It is either the plan you are on or something wrong with the PC.

This is the reason why I think fibre to the home is not as important as many people think.

pkm
09-04-2010, 07:42 PM
The "line" speed is 17 Mb/s - nothing to complain about.
It is either the plan you are on or something wrong with the PC.

This is the reason why I think fibre to the home is not as important as many people think.

Can of worms

After using 64kbps for 3weeks, 256kbit.s seems like heaven

Chilling_Silence
10-04-2010, 01:51 AM
+1 for decibels thoughts.

Switch ISP's, Xnet are crap :(

pctek
10-04-2010, 06:16 AM
My router stats and my real speed (at best 1mbps) don't match either.
Loads of things can affect actual download speed.....

bk T
10-04-2010, 10:41 AM
+1 for decibels thoughts.

Switch ISP's, Xnet are crap :(

Not only Xnet is crap, they are all very similar in one way or another. It's a waste of time changing from one crap to another. If you do want to try out, be prepared to expect the same 'service' sooner or later.

That's NZ's Broadband.

Chilling_Silence
10-04-2010, 05:57 PM
No, that's wrong!

Not all ISP's are rated the same, and not one is better specifically across the board.

You will find that ISP's such as Orcon significantly out-perform Xnet across the board. Why this is, be it their own gear in the exchanges, or they wholesale more bandwidth on places where they don't have their own gear, I'm not sure. I do know, as-do many others here, that Xnet is a particularly poor ISP, across the board and across the country.

PPp
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
+1 For that Chill. Has gone from nearly 2MB/S to 0,27MB/s(tonight) over the last 2 years for me. We are rural, but current speed is ridiculous. I'm gone.

johnd
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
And the speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/775258231.png

If you think that is bad, look at this (http://homepages.xnet.co.nz/%7Ejsd/XnetSpeed.png).

Chilling_Silence
13-04-2010, 11:21 AM
PPp, I'd be keen to know a couple of things:
1) Are you getting a cabinet any time soon according to: http://telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps
2) What happens when you switch to a more "reputable" ISP such as Orcon or Telecom
3) Make sure when you sign up with an ISP if it's not Orcon or Telecom that you're on an ADSL2+ compatible "plan", by checking it here: http://www.internetchoice.co.nz/
As many ISP's advocate "Full speed down / up", while still only using ADSL1.

Cheers

Chill.