PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 question

Billy T
08-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Team

I'm configuring Outlook the way I like it (dead simple, no fruit) and in essence all I want is the usual stuff at the top and bottom, a vertical folder bar at the left and the rest of the screen being Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items & Drafts.

That is pretty much how it looks now, but only Drafts and Outbox would drag fully to the right of the screen, Sent Items and Inbox stop about 1.5-2cm short of the RHS and I cant drag the border any further across.

Is this normal or am I overlooking something?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Arnie
08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Billy you should be able by dragging from the left of the screen to enlarge the grey area to say 2/3rds the total of the screen. That will give your left col. as is, the In box etc will take about 1/4 and leave a large grey area which will show the message that is highlighted. Clear (as mud:))

As you have no messages as yet there is nothing there. Not sure how to do a screen shot as you have done to show you my screen.

Cheers

Arnie
08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Posted twice

Billy T
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Billy you should be able by dragging from the left of the screen to enlarge the grey area to say 2/3rds the total of the screen. That will give your left col. as is, the In box etc will take about 1/4 and leave a large grey area which will show the message that is highlighted. Clear (as mud:))

As you have no messages as yet there is nothing there. Not sure how to do a screen shot as you have done to show you my screen.

Cheers

Images are taken by using the "Print Screen" key to copy and then pasting into IrfanView or MS paint. I use IrfanView to shrink the file down to the miserable size we can post on the Forum.

The second image (attached) is of the Outbox and as you will see, all borders are the same as the first image, with the exception of the RHS which extends fully to the edge of the screen.

Nothing I do to the LHS of the previous image has any effect at all on the RHS, which stays stuck exactly where it is. I can drag it to the left, but no further to the right. :confused:

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Billy T
09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Bump :D

Shameless I know, but I'm still looking for an answer if anybody can help. It would be useful just to know that this is not normal behaviour, then I can search for reasons. If it turns out to be normal behaviour I'll just have to live with it. :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Arnie
09-04-2010, 11:58 AM
See here: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/attachment.php?attachmentid=1254&stc=1&d=1270770720

I can adjust any of the boxes any size I like, perhaps you need an email to be sent there first (just my thought)

Sweep
09-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Check View > To do bar and turn it off maybe. This works in Outlook 2007.

Arnie
09-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Also Billy the area showing the Tea email is grey when I have no message highlighted

inphinity
09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Turn the Reading Pane / Preview Pane off.

Sweep
09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
See here: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/attachment.php?attachmentid=1254&stc=1&d=1270770720

I can adjust any of the boxes any size I like, perhaps you need an email to be sent there first (just my thought)

Arnie your link does not appear to work. Invalid attachment.

Arnie
09-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Works for me!!!!!!

Billy T
09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Arnie your link does not appear to work. Invalid attachment.

Doesn't work for me either, same problem. :(

Re other ideas & suggestions, I will be transferring my current PST file and email activites over to the new computer this weekend, so I'll soon find out if the absence of message data is anything to do with the problem. I suspect I may be tilting at windmills, and all may well be revealed when some email entries appear.

Can't work out what Arnie's 'Tea email' means though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I searched on the numbers in the link too, but they just brough up these posts.

Arnie
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Try this Billy and disregard all my other rambles. I am new to this. It is set up with no messages showing. Fingers crossed:help:

Attached file: screenshot1270785616.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/screenshot1270785616.jpg) (27 KB)

Billy T
15-04-2010, 09:52 PM
So here's the answer, the gaps to the right were the minimised preview screens, and it seems you can't cancel preview until Outlook is fully set up.

Once I had my data in and mail on the screen it all became very obvious. Arnie and inphinity had it right, and the key was to have mail open.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)