PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 networking with Xp etc

Digby
07-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Guys

I have just set up my new machine with Windows 7 on it. And so far I like it.

I have two other machines a desktop with XP and a Laptop with Vista. They are both networked with a DSL router.

Windows 7 has this new thing called HomeGroup network. It says it makes networking easy. But it does not recognize machines not running 7.

So I removed Homegroup (with difficulty) and Connected manually.

Was this the correct thing to do ?

Its a shame they did not make Homegroup backward compatible. Millions of people will have machines on XP and Vista !

Speedy Gonzales
07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Thats right Homegroup is only for windows 7. Thats why it doesnt work with Vista or XP

Digby
07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Agreed.
But I think that they should make that clearer on their screens.
And also to make it not so easy to click on it so quickly, like I did, and then get stuck for half an hour trying to get rid of it.

Speedy Gonzales
07-04-2010, 02:34 PM
All you had to do was open computer / click on homegroup / right (or was it left mouse), then leave it

xmojo1
08-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Yup, just Microsoft's non-subtle way of saying "if you want home networking to work properly, install Win 7 on all your PCs." If your Vista and XP computers are in the same workgroup as the Win 7 PC, the Win 7 computer will see them and can access them.

gary67
08-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Be aware though it is not so easy. I have one XP computer that refuses to log onto my Win 7 without using the password out of 4 XP machines all the others log on fine without the password, just SWMBO's one won't despite me setting it up several times