PDA

View Full Version : Frequent resetting of modem/router

hotkiwi
06-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Friends,
recently I am suffering from slow internet speed and pages that won't load. If I then click the reload button in the browser, the page sometimes comes up quick. Then again I can not load pages at all and only resetting the modem and router help. I now reset the modem and router about 10 times a day, and the speed is much better after that. If somebody else switches the computer on in the house, I sometimes lose my IP umber to that computer.

I use a Dlink DSL 502T modem and a Belkin pre-N wireless router with that.
Computers are Mac's using Safari.

I also recently installed the online backup service Crashplan, but when I am using my notebooks switch that off as that makes internet speed just impossible.

Router broken ??

thanks for your help

Nomad
06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Using wireless?
If so try to use a diff wireless channel.

hotkiwi
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Havent tried that.
Good idea.

Will do and let you know.

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2010, 10:40 PM
This may be of interest to you: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Nomad
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey Chill, remember how you assisted me before?

I changed the channel and my cheap made Linksys is now ticking much better for wireless. As for troubleshooting I cannot think of any other method other than getting a better quality modem router :D Now just need to think when and if I would upgrade to ADSL2+ with a Netcomm :p

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Definitely worth trying to change the channel first, it's free and won't cost you anything ;)

Interference happens more than you'd think, with so many devices operating at 2.4Ghz

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Definitely worth trying to change the channel first, it's free and won't cost you anything ;)

Interference happens more than you'd think, with so many devices operating at 2.4Ghz

Nomad
07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I was surprise that it changed so much.

If I survey my area we only have 2 or 3 networks at most and they are pretty weak and all secured :p But .. we don't have wireless devices, apart from the TV, vcr, sky etc remotes. Our cordless phone works on 5Ghz but we had wireless issues before we got them.

We don't use wireless bluetooth or keyb or mouse.

Nomad
07-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Oops