PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH THE INTERNET

sami
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey guyz,

Okay I need help.. I'm a complete ditz.. So I board with a family they have a phone line and a internet connection (not wireless) I'm not allowed to use there internet line nd get wireless.. so i have to get the internet another way!! So how do I go about this?? I heard you can get usb thingys. but im not to sure.. can someone please explain how i can get the internet without a phoneline.. and i need the cheapest prices please :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2010, 08:25 PM
You can get wireless but its not the cheapest option. And you'll also have to get the modem, before you start. The USB option is a wireless adapter, and you need a wireless modem/router / and a phone line to use it. This isnt the same as wireless internet (with no phone)

Jen
06-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Is the problem more they won't let you use their internet access at all, or their modem is not wireless-capable so you can't connect from a different area in the house?

You can have a second phone line installed, but this will cost the same as a standard phone account plus you then will have your internet charges on top.

PinoyKiw
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Visit Vodafone and Telecom for there wireless plans.

In short, you would get a USB stick modem thingee which is your connection to the internet. Various plans are offered from free USB Modem with contract plan to simply buying outright the modem and paying per month.

Next option would be and sounds like your host family might not allow you to do it would be to pay for and get a separate phone line installed in your name and once you have that, you can sign up for which ever ISP suited you.

Other than Vodafone and Telecom, don't know who else in NZ offers USB Wireless. But doubt that you will find it cheap.

sami
06-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes I do have my own wireless modem and a dynalink so all i would have to do would be to hook it up but you have to get a wireless plan dont you?? and they wont let me do that.. but its okay.. thanks guys I will look into the vodafone nd telecom usb options.. Yes I am not allowed to use there phoneline or get a 2nd one.. sucks to be me.. but for now I have to that and I'm swt with it coz it shld only be for a short period of time.

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Nope, if you've got a Wireless modem, you can let them use it and it essentially broadcasts their connection both through the cable and through wireless. They still keep their existing broadband plan and nothing changes :) Make sure they're aware that they won't have to change their plan or anything, because a lot of people get confused there.

Otherwise, if they simply don't want you using their internet at all, you could go either with Woosh, or with the likes of Telecom / Vodafone 3G broadband as mentioned (Which is completely different from making your regular broadband available over wireless).

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 08:47 PM
take your laptop, walk up the footpath, wait untill your laptop finds and unsecure network, connect to it and it wont have a password. wow! you now have free internet. it's the owner of the networks fault for not securing their network, don't feel bad, it's not like you'll be downloading gigabytes of files. if your checking email, browsing internet, having a flick thru youtube, it wont use up much of the networks usage. just make sure your battery works on your laptop. also you can go to places like macdonalds where they have internet access. ALSO, look in the fone book and look for places near you which have a thing called and "internet cafe". u can connect to these wirelessly and they shouldnt have a password.

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
There's nothing in this thread, saying they're using a laptop. And if you're here now, how did you get here?

PinoyKiw
06-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Are you a International Student here in NZ to study ?

Some students have taken advantage of there host families and downloaded heaps of movies and music etc blowing out there data cap. As a result, some host families are relucant to allow students asccess to there internet.

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 08:52 PM
i got here through my own internet connection, and with them talking bout wireless, i just assumed they had a laptop.

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
there is also software which they can limit what speed u get. they can limit your internet speed

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Not you, Sami. How did she/he get here. If he/she cant use their internet access

Jen
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
take your laptop, walk up the footpath, wait untill your laptop finds and unsecure network, connect to it and it wont have a password. wow! you now have free internet. it's the owner of the networks fault for not securing their network, don't feel bad, it's not like you'll be downloading gigabytes of files. That is illegal. Accessing someone's internet connection without their permission (regardless of whether it is their "fault"), is against the law. People have been caught and charged for this.

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 08:56 PM
oh sorry speedy.
have u heard the song "speedy Gonzales" its from 1961

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 08:57 PM
you say its bad. i will agree, but downloading mp3s and tv shows, movies etc is worse. lots of people never get caught doing that

sami
06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
No im not an international student. lol and no I dont have a laptop.. nd no i wouldnt do that either.. and this CHILLING SILENCE i have a question.. Soo are you saying that all I would need to do is get rid of there standard modem nd plug in my wireless one and the internet would work?? so they dont need to change plans?? and also my wireless modem I got through telstra clear and there one they got through slingshot might sound dumb but does that matteR??

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 09:04 PM
no it dosent, as long as ur computer can pick up wireless its fine!

ah you need to google how to secure the connection

gary67
06-04-2010, 09:09 PM
No im not an international student. lol and no I dont have a laptop.. nd no i wouldnt do that either.. and this CHILLING SILENCE i have a question.. Soo are you saying that all I would need to do is get rid of there standard modem nd plug in my wireless one and the internet would work?? so they dont need to change plans?? and also my wireless modem I got through telstra clear and there one they got through slingshot might sound dumb but does that matteR??

Almost right you would just need to configure it to connect to their account if they will let you.

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
and get it secured with wpa or watever they have now. first wep then wpa now i think they have wpa2.

you need to google how to get it secured or anyone will be able to connect to it like i said in a previous post

GameJunkie
06-04-2010, 09:12 PM
if they wont let you use their internet connection then there is nothing you can do about that. period.

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 09:17 PM
they must be rude people then. i would find somewhere else, even if its a cheap flat. you'll be able to get your own internet connection and all sorts. make sure you get a good deal tho

ronyville
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
You would be better off getting a wireless plan from Woosh. Sounds like the host people are not too keen on sharing their internet service, possibly fearing that you might cost them more money in data caps, depending on what you are doing. Here's a link (http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Internet/InternetPricing.aspx) for you to look into.

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2010, 10:47 PM
they must be rude people then. i would find somewhere else, even if its a cheap flat. you'll be able to get your own internet connection and all sorts. make sure you get a good deal tho

Not specifically. Broadband costs per-gig (Unless they're with Big Time). They have every right not to.

If they wont, just get yourself Woosh, or a 3G data card, but be careful of the data charges...

Nomad
07-04-2010, 12:10 PM
If they don't wanna let you use it, bad luck.
So, a wireless card is pointless. I set up a WPA password on my modem router so the neighbours don't get it but I allow my family to use it :p

Then you either get Woosh and get a Woosh modem or you get your own phoneline ADSL or a mobile data 3G card off Vodafone or Telecom XT :D Nothing is free in this world.

Presuming you can get Woosh if you are central. Check their site out and pop your address there to see ... woosh.co.nz

:clap

Have you tried talking to them like if you wanna contribute cost?

Nomad
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
The owners may be scared that you would eat up their bandwidth downloading videos and music and game overnight :D

NZ doesn't have all you can use broadband, once you are over you are paying for every single GB or you are slowed right down to dialup speed...

Buff_K
07-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Are you a International Student here in NZ to study ?

Some students have taken advantage of there host families and downloaded heaps of movies and music etc blowing out there data cap. As a result, some host families are relucant to allow students asccess to there internet.

aye, but thats not necessarily the student taking liberties, just ignorance at NZ ISP's awful usage plans.

My first broadband experience was using an unsecured internet connection in Canada, ended up downloading HEAPS (after I realized I gave the neighbour some money). When I returned to live in NZ I blew my data cap in a week. Stink.

PinoyKiw
07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
aye, but thats not necessarily the student taking liberties, just ignorance at NZ ISP's awful usage plans.

A sad fact is many of the host families do lay out the rules in regards to the student accessing the internet and while many students are very good at obeying the house hold rules for net access, some, especially the Chinese and Arab boys, tend to ignore such basic requests and go silly downloading movie's etc and then while keeping a straight face, deny that they are.

Ice Road Trucker
08-04-2010, 03:19 PM
What about this here?

http://search.dse.co.nz/search?w=vodafone+prepay+usb+modem&sessionid=4bbd3dc7007e06642740c0a87f3b06c1&asug=voda