PDA

View Full Version : PSU Advice

hsvman12
06-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi,

Ok, so I've got a PC that's about 3 years old and I'm starting to update it component at a time (when I can afford to buy new ones).

I've started with the video card and ended up purchasing a Sapphire HD5830. At the same time, I need to upgrade the power supply. My CPU and Mobo are:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz 2x 2MBCache 800MHz FSB LGA775
Mobo: Intel D101GGCL Essentials mATXLGA775 DDR400/333 PCI-E x16 ATI RADEON XPRESS 200+RC410

When I can afford to, I plan to upgrade these as well, either to an i5/i7.

I've used eXtreme to calculate that my end PC when finished will need 376w.

Note: I am a novice with PCs, having done via minor work inside a case (like upgrade RAM and GPU).

I would like to buy a reasonably good quality PSU, but not pay the earth for. Can any recommend which brand and model to purchase.

Also, what's the difference with a modular vs non-modular (I guess is the term) and which type should I get?

And finally, do I need to ensure I get certain types of power cables to plug everything in or will the PSU come with these?

Thanks for any help.

qazwsxokmijn
06-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Good brands include Silverstone, Enermax, Antec, PC P&C, Corsair.....any of those rated at 500W or above should be enough for your rig, even when you upgrade it to an i7 system. Heck, even a Corsair 450W should be enough, really. But of course, big is good for future proofing etc. Not too big though, because PSU efficiency is at its lowest when not sufficiently loaded (think around 20%).

In terms of modularity it's mostly to do with cabling, really. I personally prefer modular, because it's easier to manage and tidy up the cabling. Usually modular PSUs command a a bit of premium over non-modular ones, but it's personal choice mostly, if you are buying good brand PSUs. I myself have a Corsair HX750 modular PSU, it's quiet and looks nice too. Used to have an Antec NeoHE 550W, was damn quiet too.

Don't worry about cables, the PSUs will have all that you need, and more. How many HDDs have you got? The number of SATA power cables that come with PSUs can be fewer than your number of HDDs, but you can buy molex to SATA power connectors for that purpose.

pctek
06-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Corsair.

5 yr warranty.
Cheaper than Enermax or Antec.

Greven
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
most PSUs have way more cables than you need. If you can afford it, go for a modular power supply so you don't have to worry about what to do with all the unused cables.

wratterus
06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
+1 for corsair. VX550 or HX650.

hsvman12
06-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all your advice - always appreciated for a non-expert like myself.

I've got 3 hdds, I think I needed to use connectors for the extras.

Ok, so Corsair looks to be the brand of choice. Should I go for a 550w or 650w?

And if I understand it, the main difference with the modular ones is better for cabling - is the power quality all the same?

Deimos
06-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all your advice - always appreciated for a non-expert like myself.

I've got 3 hdds, I think I needed to use connectors for the extras.

Ok, so Corsair looks to be the brand of choice. Should I go for a 550w or 650w?

And if I understand it, the main difference with the modular ones is better for cabling - is the power quality all the same?

There is a very slight voltage drop with modular PSUs but it is insigificant and should not be a deciding factor, modular PSUs are worth the extra cash, I just installed a 750W silverstone for someone about half an hour ago and boy was it a mess of wires...

hsvman12
07-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks you all your help - I've ordered a Corsair 650w. Cheers

wratterus
07-04-2010, 02:56 PM
There is a very slight voltage drop with modular PSUs but it is insigificant and should not be a deciding factor, modular PSUs are worth the extra cash, I just installed a 750W silverstone for someone about half an hour ago and boy was it a mess of wires...

I have a 750w silverstone - excellent PSU in every way apart from the cabling, man it's annoying.

Thanks you all your help - I've ordered a Corsair 650w. Cheers

Good call.