PDA

View Full Version : New GNOME Based Operating System (made by me)

goodiesguy
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
http://barron-os.webs.com/

Barron OS 0.0.2

hope u like it. read the website for details. any constructive critisism is appreciated. i made it with SUSE Studio.com

im also learning to code using the pc world magazines.

oh and their is an error in the latest mag. it says 'digitize your old vinyl' where its meant to say, download clips of utube. yeah in that section of the latest mag

Sweep
05-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I am surprised you have not yet been done for a syntax error.

johnd
05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
http://barron-os.webs.com/
New GNOME based operating system (made by me)

Good on you -but you didn't make the lot (goes without saying!). What did you make?

Jen
05-04-2010, 07:13 PM
That SUSE Studio looks interesting. Hadn't heard of a web-based click and select OS build. :)

I think you need to add more details about your OS on your website. Mention what makes Barron OS it different to the rest. I am assuming it is designed for a 32-bit desktop (no apache/ssh port closed etc) users, but you don't mention what skill level. For example will the user need to download mp3 support? If they do, is it a click and point package system (using SuSE repositories)? What kernel version is included?

Include on your website some of the popular packages (Firefox ver XX, OpenOffice ver XX, Thunderbird or Evolution ver XX) you have included (as a "selling" point) and maybe some screen shots to give a person an idea of the appearance etc.

Will the installer detect existing operating systems and let you safely partition hard drives? This is worthwhile mentioning too on your website.

I can't remember if the SUSE Studio website demo video showed an option for creating a bootable live CD. I would do this version first as people would be more likely to try this than install to hard drive something unknown.

I bet it was exciting installing and then booting your own custom OS. :)

goodiesguy
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
im still to boot it, i'm exited! im waiting till 2 morrow so then i have more time to set up another pc for it.

thanks for the tips. these are very helpful. also its a free os. i must check wot i put in the os. i did the lot.

but im gonna customize it in the future and will make it better for the user's. it's mostly for internet browsing in firefox (firefox rocks) it'll have stuff like vlc media player. utorrent, basicly a media center os. but it can be used for a general os. more info will come soon

goodiesguy
05-04-2010, 07:59 PM
it's 32bit, i can also make 64bit os but i dont have any pc's that support 64bit. oh an right now im on a compaq presario v2000 laptop im fixin for a friend. i tried everything to make it fast. i got rid of avg and got avast, i got ccleaner, ran that, disk cleanup, defrag. it mite need a reinstall of the os. maybe he mite like mine.

Sweep
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
im still to boot it, i'm exited! im waiting till 2 morrow so then i have more time to set up another pc for it.

thanks for the tips. these are very helpful. also its a free os. i must check wot i put in the os. i did the lot.

but im gonna customize it in the future and will make it better for the user's. it's mostly for internet browsing in firefox (firefox rocks) it'll have stuff like vlc media player. utorrent, basicly a media center os. but it can be used for a general os. more info will come soon

You made this O/S and you have not yet got it to boot?

goodiesguy
05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
sad aye, but its linux, i've read enough to think i'll boot. i'll neva use it as my own os on my main pc tho

Sweep
05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
OK. Good luck.

Ollie
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi, i installed it successfully on VMware, but im at the login page now and it says select user. Has 'tux' and 'other' both with a password, Cant get in :(

Jen
05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Default password is linux

... very secret and secure. :rolleyes:

goodiesguy
06-04-2010, 12:45 PM
anyone liking my os? the download link seems to work. it wont install on virtual pc 2007. i must get vmware so i can troubleshoot and make sure its working ok

goodiesguy
09-04-2010, 01:16 AM
is anyone acctualy using this? i hope to make a difference. please people support barron os linux.

Jen
09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Seriously, you won't even use it yourself as your main OS which is hardly a recommendation. Have you actually installed it yourself yet?

You have added a tiny bit more to your website about the OS, but there is nothing compelling to make you download a very large file, dedicate some hard drive space and go through the process of installing it. No screenshots, no quick user guides on installing, adding new applications etc. Where do people go for help when they want to install support for mp3 or their ATI graphic card driver? You could at least provide links to appropriate support forums.

As already mentioned, it has a default user account already created (tux) with a password. I think it would be a good idea to tell people (on your website) that password so they can actually boot into the OS. ;) You should also tell them how to create their own user account instead of using tux or at least how to change the tux account default password.

I would review your recommended computer specifications too. Your ISO has been complied optimised for a i686 system, so do you think suggesting someone could use a Pentium 1 is the best idea? Let alone would it actually run in a usable manner? Did you select a lightweight graphical environment to be installed or just GNOME?

If you are serious about developing and learning from this distro, then you need to do more than click a few buttons and have a program make an ISO for you. Show you are putting some effort into it (especially at least install it yourself first :rolleyes:).

Have fun. :)

nedkelly
09-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I tried Susestudio built my OS and then tried to boot it into GUI and found out that I had forgotten to select a GUI interface :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

icow
09-04-2010, 09:15 AM

With suse studio you can actually use it online on there website first before you download it...
Oh and if I was you I'd open up that .iso and replace the boot background that you picked 'cause you'll find a nice Suse Studio logo on it. Also they stick there logo on everything so anyone using it will find out straight away that you did nothing when making this.

icow
09-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I tried Susestudio built my OS and then tried to boot it into GUI and found out that I had forgotten to select a GUI interface :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

LOL I did the same...

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I remember back in the day when people built OS's from scratch like with Gentoo or LFS :p

fred_fish
09-04-2010, 01:48 PM
... built my OS ...

It's not a new OS, it is Suse with a fake moustache :sleep

nedkelly
09-04-2010, 03:39 PM
yeah but how hard is it to do that chill?

Jen
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
For a newbie, the learning curve will match the trajectory of a NASA space rocket. :D

However, with a good dollop of Linux experience and determination (and ability to carefully follow instructions), you can install Gentoo from a stage 1 level. This is when you start with ~90MB of bootstrap files and from that download all source code, compile (with setting your own compilation/optimisation FLAGS) every package or program needed to run a Linux system. This includes the kernel which you customise and then complile, any system maintenance apps, basic tools and other essential items to get a system to boot up. Then you can consider adding graphic elements such as desktop environments, and graphical programs. As terrifying as this sounds, Gentoo has excellent documentation that takes you through all the steps (or did last time I looked ...).

I built a Gentoo system (after Chill inspired me :p) a few years ago. It look several days on a Pentium 3/512 MB RAM to compile from source a command line only operating system. It then took a further few days to compile and install a graphic desktop plus additional applications. Firefox by itself took 4 hours to compile from source code. :rolleyes:. It was the best feeling ever to boot up a fully functional OS you hand-rolled yourself.

These days I go for the ready-to-roll distros that come with 95% of what I want (and how I like it) already. I love decent graphical package managers too. :lol:

If you want to learn more about Linux, start with a easy to use distro to get your head around things, but then quickly more onto one that doesn't hold your hand so much and does things in a more traditional Linux fashion (instead of trying to mimic Windows and hide things from you). Once you had a good period with that, try installing applications using command line and practice navigating around your system without using a graphical window manager. Read up on command line text editors (Nano is great) and then practice using them. Once you are familiar with those things, try to build a custom kernel and install it. If you can do that, and the computer still boots up and is functional, then think about taking the next step and really customising a distro to your liking.

It is all about having fun and not being afraid of breaking things (as long as you can then fix it!). :)

hueybot3000
09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
wow Jen, until now I thought of you as a mod, now I see you as a nerdy mod!

Downloading the OS now

johnd
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
is anyone acctualy using this? i hope to make a difference. please people support barron os linux.
I am really at a bit of a loss here. How can you expect to make a difference when there are hundreds of distros of Linux out there made by groups of people who have been involved sometimes since the early '90s putting hundreds of hour in per release. You seem to be saying that you have not even booted the thing you "made" yet to test it out??? For what reasons should anyone give it a go?

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah those were the days, compiling on a 200Mhz P2 :p

Brooko
10-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Wow Jen - 4 hours to build ffox. It takes me about 20 minutes now .... PC's have changed a lot! I know what you mean though - there is nothing quite like your first successful attempt at rolling a kernel :clap

What surprised me is how easy it is to build a lot of apps - most of it is reading documentation and then following a recipe - chasing down a few -dev dependencies from time to time.

Which OS are you using now Jen?

Erayd
10-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I remember back in the day when people built OS's from scratch like with Gentoo or LFS :pI still do :rolleyes: - mainly embedded stuff though, and none of it for public release. Generally if I need a custom distro it has some rather fruity requirements that aren't met by anything already available, and it's for a specific project. Getting an entire OS to fit into under 5MB, including the kernel, all of userland, and the software that runs on top of it, is something of a thrill.

As far as day-to-day stuff goes, Gentoo & Debian are fine for pretty much everything. I've used them for years, and have yet to run across a compelling reason to switch.

Goodiesguy - just a thought - it's generally a smart idea to test something before you start advertising it, especially when that something is an OS...

I'd like to second Jen's comments from earlier. You also need a reason to develop a custom distro - what problem does it solve that none of the other distros do, and why should someone give up the massive support base of a major distro and switch to yours in order to solve that particular problem, rather than adding a solution for it to an existing distro?

Jen
10-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Wow Jen - 4 hours to build ffox. It takes me about 20 minutes now .... PC's have changed a lot!Yeah, today's technology would churn through the source code with no problems.

Which OS are you using now Jen?I haven't strayed too far from my original Linux roots when I started with Red Hat 8 - I'm a Fedora fan, and both laptop (dual boot) and desktop run that. While I would love to run Linux exclusively (like I used to), due to my studies over the last 2 years has meant I had to use predominantly Windows on the laptop (using Wine was not an option). I'm a bit out of practice with troubleshooting Linux because of that, which is why I don't tackle too many of the technical Linux threads here these days. Six months to go until I finish my studies and I can get back into it. :)

Erayd
10-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah, today's technology would churn through the source code with no problems.Try telling that to Open Office! It still takes forever...

Other prime candidates for their own geological eras include GCC and glibc.