PDA

View Full Version : SID change

h4rsheys
05-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi guys,

I'm running windows 7 ultimate.

I recently used newsid.exe to change the system sid, not knowing what its purpose was, and what it would do (which was stupid of me, i agree). The result is that it has somewhat crashed my computer which i am VERY distressed about and windows will load but the logon screen does not show, instead a bsod displays and then windows restarts, and eventually leads to the repair window, but even windows restore cannot recognize the problem.

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me, as you have done so nicely in the past. I've had all the problems posted here solved adequately.

Is there a way to make a bootable version of newsid.exe? because i remember my old SID and hopefully inputting it will make my windows functional again :(.

I'm VERY distressed about this issue as it just happened a day ago, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps- i don't wish to reinstall windows, that is a last resort for me. My computer was customized alot, and redoing that would be a huge pain in the butt.

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
How did you get it if its no longer available? It doesnt look like it was / is for windows 7. Here's another post about it (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=103487). Saying it shouldnt be used with Windows 7

h4rsheys
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
exactly, my friend gave me a program saying it would give me free windows cursors...

and he said i had to install this program first.

guess who's not my friend anymore?

i know how this was a very foolish mistake, i should've checked the attributes for such a shady looking program first....

either way, is there a possibility to make a bootable version of this program? so i can re-run it before windows starts and change back my SID?

fred_fish
05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure changing it back is not going to unfsck your PC.
It's the change that is the problem, not the number.
If a repair install don't work, full reinstall is the next step.

h4rsheys
05-04-2010, 05:48 PM
oh my goodness i shiver at the thought of a full reinstall....

that would take a crapload of time that i dont have :(

if you know of a way, is it possible to change the system SID before booting?

I would REALLY like to try that before doing everything the SUPER HARD WAY that's going to take a week or so to restore my computer back to the way it was...

i am SO mad at my friend right now...

GameJunkie
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
why do/did you want to change it anyway??

h4rsheys
05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
i changed it unknowingly because i didnt realize what it was doing. total idiot move, pleaaaase dont remind me.

all i could use now is a reversal process which allows me to change system SID before booting my computer.

i might cry.... this sucks.

Sweep
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
why do/did you want to change it anyway??

That's really helpful.

johnd
05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I have an untested thought that might be worth a go. Sysprep is the correct tool for changing the SID - can you boot to the recovery console (or whatever it is called in W7) and run sysprep then reboot?

h4rsheys
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
as far as i know, i can launch the internal recovery console program (which failed to recognize the problem) and boot a program from a cd, but that means the program must be bootable, of course.

anything within those lines i am unaware of how to do, so if you can guide me, then please i would like that.

i dont think you can run programs from recovery console... it simply scans your computer for errors and runs system restore.

can you please tell me in steps how i can get a program to run through the boot menu, if that happens, then there's more hope to this than i feel right now....

i googled sysprep - its only for windows server 2000-2003?
i have windows 7 so.... i wouldnt want anything ELSE to get screwed up aha.

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Wild guess - but its a free option and may work - may not either -- Boot from the W7 DVD, if you dont have it, download the Windows 7 Recovery Disc (http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/) other wise work though and select fix computer - when it fails, go to the options and select System Restore ( or if using the recovery disc above) straight to system restore , wind the system back to before you "fiddled" :p -- IF you are lucky the system will boot up OK.

Its Ok to 'fiddle" - just have to know how to get out of trouble when it all turns pear shaped :xmouth:

h4rsheys
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
the windows recovery console tried restoring my computer, but to no avail. yea system restore doesnt work. i physically need to reset the computer's SID.

I'll check back tomorrow, as I'm somewhat busy at the moment.

But please, please, PLEASE guys any help at ALL would be really helpful to me.

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Something you can try - but first you need to get into the Reg.

Can you boot into safe mode, and select the Admin account or any other account.

Never tried the following so no idea what will happen; Once in the reg, rename the changed SID back to the one you said you know what it is - I rigth clicked mine and selected rename and it would let me - but I'm not silly enough to change it on this PC to try and fix it again :D

This is from a Vista fix, but I checked on My W7 and the path and SID is in the same place.
* Click Start, type regedit in the Windows Vista Start search box, and then press ENTER.
* Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windo ws NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
* In the left pane of Windows Vista registry editor, click on one of the S-1-5.. folders (SID key) with the long number in it(It may have .bak at the end of it).
* Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
* Log on to the computer and create a new profile.

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Since it looks like you need sysprep, it'd be the same as if you were slip streaming Vista SP2 / going into audit mode right??

johnd
05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Sysprep is also for W7 and should be on your hard disk. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744512%28WS.10%29.aspx.

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
All very well talking about sysprep, but please explain how its meant to be run, windows wont boot in any form to do it from the GUI ? Sure can be done Via the CD I spose as long as you know the commands ( not that hard)

Every sysprep I've done has always been Via the Administrator account, LOT easier.

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Shift+Ctrl+F3. Altho this is usually done after you do a clean install / or before you put your username in. After you press the keys above, it reboots and gives you a desktop and the window, where it shows you OOBE / the option to reboot / other, and the generalize option / other option

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
So you press Shift+Ctrl+F3 on start up and that gives you sysprep options ???

Sysprep can be damn dangerous as well, if it fails to boot, (and there is a lot of forums saying it does) then the person is screwed = new Install -- AFAIK once you run sysprep theres no going back. ( added in) - Antivirus programs if installed can give a endless reboot on starting after using sysprep - I was just reading.

Last time I played around with sysprep in W7 it did exactly that :yuck: spat the dummy - that was on a fresh install as well, luckily I was only playing about killing time/ experimenting - nothing lost.

berryb
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm not up to full speed with Win7 yet but from what you are saying is you have tried a system restore. Now Wainuitech will be able to answer this question - can you do a repair install on Win 7 as you can in XP? If so has the poster tried this? From what I've read a restore has been tried but no mention of a repair. A repair will lose some of the customization but at least might get it going.

I don't see how sysprep is going to help. I have used and deployed Win 7 with it fine but from a working system.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 04:14 AM
i have tried a restore, but it did not work. windows restore could not identify the problem.

so should i try sysprep? because i am unable to start the computer in safe mode..

do i press shift+cntrl+f3 when windows is booting?

can i get some more info on how to change back the SID please?

also if anyone can guide me on how to create a bootable version of newsid.exe that would help a lot too- if it's possible of course.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 04:33 AM
okay guys ive decided to go through with the fresh install.

but. i need to know one thing.

its essential to me that i have the windows.old folder after the installation is complete. but i also wish to clear my hard drive of all corrupt files before the installation begins.

if i format the hardrive on which win 7 is to be installed, will that prevent it from creating a windows.old folder in which all my old files are placed?

i really need to know this before going any further.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
you guys im on the verge of a breakdown. please please please help me with this.

ignore all requests made prior to this one.

i need to know how to recover my files/folders (for free) from my formatted hard drive. i ran a scan with trial software and it seems that my files are still there but i need them back!!

windows.old did not show up. i am utterly hopeless and tired.

PLEASE HELP.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 08:26 AM
im using easus data recovery wizard. can someone tell me if this is safe?

inphinity
06-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Easus data recovery works OK. Do you have a second drive to recover to? I know it's too late now, but it would've been better to not format the drive if you wanted to keep the contents of it.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
yea i realize that and yes i have a second d: drive i installed to, but i cant recognize which files to recover! it shows me a list of 100 partitions...

someone please help! im very desperate for a solution.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 10:21 AM
hi guys, okay so good news.

ive managed to recover my data from the drive, however the data is unable to be read because it became corrupted when my computers SID was changed.

is there a way to repair my files so they will open properly?

ie. when i go to open a jpeg file, it claims that windows photo viewer cannot open the file due to unrecognized format. (but the file clearly says it is a jpeg).

im fairly confident this is because of the altered SID.

any way to fix this??

inphinity
06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Chances of it being due to SID change are slim to none. The files weren't "encrypted" were they? Check the file permissions, otherwise it's probably only partial recovery of the files would be my guess.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
another example:

when i open a word file it states- "word cannot start the converter mswrd632"

i searched this online and it links to a registery error.
However after a fresh reinstall of windows AND a test on a different computer- i am sure the problem does not lie within a registery error for the computer, but lies in the file itself.

I REALLY need your help guys- is there a way to repair these files? nobody seems to be responding.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
inphinity you may be right about the partial recovery...

i reallllly need more help on how to do this...

Sweep
06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Why not recover your important files from the latest backup you did?

You did do one before you ran newsid as it advised I presume? If not then it's looking likely that your files have gone.

You may be able to recover using software from here:-
http://www.nucleusdatarecovery.org/ms-office-recovery.html

Or not. I think you don't want to pay for software which is possibly why you tried changing the SID in the first place.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
i changed the SID unintentionally, if I knew my computer would crash i would have never even considered it, obviously.

Erayd
06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
No offense, but noting how many things you seem to be stuffing up here I'd strongly advise you don't do anything further to it, and take it to someone who actually knows what they're doing.

If you're wanting free recovery tools... testdisk / photorec (both part of the testdisk package) are outstandingly good tools. If the data exists, these tools will usually recover it for you. Note that these are both Linux CLI tools.

berryb
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I am lost for words here. Why would you formatt the harddrive when you new data was on it you needed then try and use recovery software to get it back.

Should have either installed another hard drive and copied the files to it or removed the current system drive and put in another PC/external drive and copied the files. Then tried to run sysprep.exe from c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder. Set drop-down box to OOBE and check the Generalize box. Reboot. This may or may not have worked but would have been worth a go before formatting.

Now you are starting from fresh and I doubt you will recover your files. Why they are corrupt I do not know and I doubt it is from changing the SID.

No help in this post I know but you are on the road to rebuild. As Erayd has said, if the data is that importatnt it is time to take it to someone who knows what they are doing!

wainuitech
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
another example:

when i open a word file it states- "word cannot start the converter mswrd632"

i searched this online and it links to a registery error.
However after a fresh reinstall of windows AND a test on a different computer- i am sure the problem does not lie within a registery error for the computer, but lies in the file itself.

I REALLY need your help guys- is there a way to repair these files? nobody seems to be responding. There will corruption for sure someplace.

As for people not responding :mad: Every one here does it voluntary, No one actually works for Press F1 - We (well most) have normal day jobs, or are retired etc.

Wheres the backups as sweep mentioned ??

Its VERY important to do them as disaster can happen any time to anyone - my own main PC this morning - on startup the HDD failed :mad: After getting a new drive, the full system backup from last night is now transferring and installing.

DONT fiddle when you dont know what you are doing -- why the hell did you format the drive before saving the data -- geeeeess :groan: What would have been a simple job has turned into a nightmare. By formatting the drive THEN trying to recover data, you more than likely destroyed / corrupted the items trying to be saved.

GameJunkie
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
what is the SID anyway?

berryb
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
security identifiers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330

KarameaDave
06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Identifier

GameJunkie
06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
thanks for the links

PinoyKiw
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Bit late now but a couple of so simple things could have been very helpful in repairing this system.

1/ Make a back up of your data.

2/ A image of your operating system and maybe even of other partitions could have made it somewhat easier to restore back to working.

Moral of the story, learn from your mistake(s) and back up and maybe even image your drive as well.

h4rsheys
06-04-2010, 02:49 PM
good news guys. daaamn am i glad this nightmare is going away.

files have been recovered successfully with easeus data recovery wizard.

computer functioning normally.

all systems are go.