PDA

View Full Version : usb crashes computer. help?

debuxx
05-04-2010, 06:33 AM
ok i had windows xp on my computer but with a major problem. everytime i had any kind of usb attached before bootin my computer it wouldnt do anythin. i would log into my desktop and that was it. nothin would be there. not even the taskbar. therefore i had to make sure to unplug every usb(includin mouse n keyboard) before bootin my computer. if i did hat everything would work fine. so today i installed windows 7 hopin this problem would go away. it didnt. i still have the same problem except this time everythin freezes before loading windows. if i unplug the usb it immediatily loads.

happens with all usb's btw!

i have no clue what the issue could be..
help?

pctek
05-04-2010, 06:41 AM
All USB devices?

Dodgy motherboard.

debuxx
05-04-2010, 06:45 AM
yeah sorry forgot to mention that. all usb's. the motherboard ones and the rest..

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Whats the brand/model of the motherboard and whats the specs of the rest of it?? And whats the PSU?

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Got a similar problem with mine at the moment - the rear USB ports are OK - But any of the internal ports that run the front devices, ( USB's & Card Reader) - if they are plugged in repeatable shutdowns or wont boot at all.

Its not the OS, as I tried from a bootable CD, same thing. New board arrived last week - just have to replace it.

Mines an ASUS - just over 3 years old (typical just out of warranty). :crying

Sweep
06-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Funny thing about motherboards. I used to be a big fan of Soltek. Two Soltek boards bought back around 2002 from the same supplier on the same day. SL-75FRN2 for what it's worth. One board died within 8 months and was replaced without question from PBTech in Hamilton. The other is still going and is two doors away from where I live.

Agent_24
06-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Go into BIOS and check for an option "USB legacy devices" - it will either say it's enabled or disabled. Change it to the opposite setting and try again

What's your motherboard? it might be a buggy BIOS..

Did your USB ever work?

What's your PSU?

PENTIUM
06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Agent 24 is correct. The machine is trying to run from the USB port. Good for sales of new boards, eh.