PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth with Chrome installer

tuiruru
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi
The version of Google Earth that I was using has disappeared off my computer (I don't remember doing that) so I've downloaded their latest installer and it seems to want to also install Chrome whether I want it of not (so I aborted the installation)! Is this correct? Is there a way round it 'cos I'm perfectly happy with Firefox.

Thanks

gary67
04-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't know if you can stop it installing Chrome I just went into Ccleaner after and deleted chrome once GE was fully installed and GE still works fine. In fact I have just written a small guide for the caving community on how to convert Google Earth co-ordinates to New Zealand map grids for use with GPS and mapping software

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2010, 09:08 PM
If its got a custom install, select it

Agent_24
04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
That's what Google does, it loves installing crap you don't want.

You might as well just use Google Maps and not have to install anything

tuiruru
04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks Gary I'll try that
@speedy - that's my point mate - there's no custom install - it just goes ahead and does it, so Agent 24 is right you have to download stuff you dont want - pretty high handed I reckon.

gary67
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes it's damn annoying, but we use GE here a lot when looking for surface features of areas of bushland to help pinpoint caves as mapping software is just that a paper map on screen whereas GE is actual imagery from above. As I said I just un install chrome after and run Ccleaner to get rid of the dregs

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Thought I'd have a look - went to download Google Earth - and look what you can unselect (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Google_Earth.jpg) AND I didn't even have my glasses on to see that :D

gary67
05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
How did I miss that must be time for a new eye test

tuiruru
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Yep - that bit is so in your face that you miss it! Bad graphic design??

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't say bad graphic design, I would say clever non in your face ( they want you to download chrome) - The fact that I highlighted it makes it obvious, but look at the page without that highlight, Chrome is already ticked - and what draws your attention ? The bold Agree and download Button.

Thats like most software - if it has a custom or advanced button you should use that to install, "usually" you find all the crap you can untick that they want you to install under recommended.