PDA

View Full Version : IE6 to IE8

DUNK
04-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Have to admit defeat here. I've tried 8 four times now. But I can NEVER save the seven cookies that I want, to save. For the session that I'm on, everything seems OK. But, on a 'reboot', thay're all gone. I'm retaining them in both "CCleaner", "Glarys" & "AdSubtract". (Everything works perfectly in IE6. But "Youtube" doesn't like it any more. & I guess that the folks here don't either) So. What am I doing wrong??...... PLEASE !!
Regards.
Bryan.

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Use FF or Opera then. Then at least you wont have to type in the pw all the time. If this is what youre talking about

Battleneter2
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Use FF or Opera then. Then at least you wont have to type in the pw all the time. If this is what youre talking about

+1 and although IE8 is a major improvement over IE6, its still slower and clunkier than FF or Opera so why use it.

wainuitech
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
+1 and although IE8 is a major improvement over IE6, its still slower and clunkier than FF or Opera so why use it.
Some sites still wont work correctly on other browsers.

Some Hardware as well - tried to flash the firmware in an Asus router the other day - only browser it would work in was IE, every other browser it said it was invalid.

As for the cookies not retaining try this -- Open the pages you want, re-save the details, close IE, Open IE see if they hold - if they do, open Ccleaner, under the Windows Tab, IE, untick index.dat files. close Ccleaner, then open and rerun it, see if IE still retained the details.

Edited: if that doesn't work , uninstall Ccleaner, repeat IE and then reinstall Ccleaner ( thats from the CCleaner (Piriform) forums.

DUNK
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the help. Took the advice of some & Installed FF. That does keep the cookies. But, the old problem of not being able to view "Full Size" on "Trademe" photos, has come back to haunt me again. Can't figure out how to disable "Javascript" in FF. Does someone know how to do that please ??
Regards.
Bryan

Sweep
05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd be inclined to un install your current Java and get the latest version from Sun.

DUNK
05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I'd be inclined to un install your current Java and get the latest version from Sun.

If it's 18. Been there, done that !!

waldok
05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
You need Update 19 now, apparently.

Java update plugs 27 critical security holes (http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6011)

For what it's worth I've never had the issue you describe with IE8, so I suspect it's something else interfering with the cookies as others have suggested.

cheers
W

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
just replicated the problem with IE8 and ccleaner - it was Ccleaner not liking IE8 - unticked the index.dat files ( as I mentioned before) in Ccleaner and IE kept its details.

Lurking
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Ancestry.co.uk doesn't like IE8 either, think they still have to update their system

FF and Opera certainly are faster on any family history loading data etc.

Lurks.

DUNK
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
just replicated the problem with IE8 and ccleaner - it was Ccleaner not liking IE8 - unticked the index.dat files ( as I mentioned before) in Ccleaner and IE kept its details.

Even AFTER a reboot ??

wainuitech
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
yep, appeared to - BUT I only tried it on one of the computers here.

DUNK
06-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi folks. Thank's for all your help. This is what I've done, so far. Installed "Firefox" Updated "Java". Still have to disable Java to enlarge photos in "Trademe" though, have to re-enable it to view "Youtube" stuff ! Looks as though it's time for an HGT posting. Then, hopefully go back to my beloved IE6.
Sorry about all this.... I'm a bit old, to have to stir up, what's left of "The grey matter" !!