PDA

View Full Version : Adwords spam meesage

mcginty
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I have received an email purporting to be from Google Adwords saying "Ads have stopped running". As I don't use ads I regarded it as spam and deleted it but a friend tried to respond to it. Does anyone know if this is malicious and what the results of responding might be?

PinoyKiw
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
This was doing a run a few months ago.

Back then it was along the lines of your account with Google Ads has been closed.....with a link so maybe they were hoping to catch people who did have Google Ads to get credit card details etc.

Or could have been a virus or malware as well to snag those people who did follow the link.

kahawai chaser
03-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Currently Google are running a free promotion (75 to 100 US dollars), of which I received emails (Gmail account), and a coupon code at home. I responded and it was genuine, so set up Adwords for some of my sites. But you should have recieved their 10 - 12 digit promo code.

Do you publish/administer sites/blogs and have a active Google account (running adsense/webmaster tools/keyword tool/analytics/insights, etc)? Maybe they found you through their system and hence the email (how they found me I suspect) Maybe contact them or visit/contact via the Adwords blog... (http://adwords.blogspot.com/)