PDA

View Full Version : MotherBoard power connectors?!

Dis_ease
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi all, hope everyone has eaten plenty of easter eggs and drunk far too much.
I Bought myself the parts for a pc today and have assembled most of it, except the power connectors. Am really confused By the instructions in the case/psu manual. I have;

GigaByte P55 UD3,
Intel Core i5-661 CPU,
Sapphire Radeon 5770,
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Green 1TB,
Coolermaster Centurion S w/ 460watt PSU

I have a 20 pin power connector (which is hard wired,or caBle Bundled) to a 4 pin power connector), Both of which are plugged into the 'main power' connection.(24 pin).

Then I have 2 lots of 4 pin power connectors Bundled together. I also have a one 6 pin power connector. I currently have nothing plugged into the 'CPU power' connection(which is an 8 pin connection).

I read somewhere that the 6 pin connector is for hungry GFX cards, which is confusing Because my GFX card has it's own power connection as 4pin (old school molex), similar to my fans.
Haven't tried turning the PC on yet, for fear of power overload or not enough power (is either thing possiBle?).

Cheers in advance

hueybot3000
03-04-2010, 07:06 PM
if the mobo has 8pin plug on the cpu then use 2 power pins, it will be fine on one i think but if you overlock etc then the second is nice. but if its there use it. They will be 2 seperate and one will have a 12v marking or something similar.

the 6pin is for the video card, almost all gpus use them now and more recently 2 6pin plugs. which im guessing your 5770 will.

so its 2 4 pin into the cpu and 2 6pin into the gpu if there are two. if there isnt enough power there it simply wont boot, and if your using standard psu connectors you cant overload it really

hueybot3000
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
as a side note the psu your using is a bare minimum for your other hardware. your really wont 550watt+

Dis_ease
03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
the 6pin is for the video card, almost all gpus use them now and more recently 2 6pin plugs. which im guessing your 5770 will.

my PSU has one lot 2x3(6) pin connector coming from one cable, two lots of 2x2(4) pin connector from another cable, and a 2x10(20) and a 2x2(4) coming from the final cable. I have the 20 and the 4 in the main 24pin socket. I then have one 8pin socket for the 12v. However my video card's power cable goes to a 1x4(4) pin connector which fits in none of the power connectors, rather it fits into the molex power connectors like IDE drives use.

hueybot3000
03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
You've lost me, should be a 6pin, I've never heard of gpu using 4 pin

get a pic?

Dis_ease
03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Apologies, lost my camera recently. Can't find the exact pic online either. I made a mistake earlier, it's a black 4 pin molex looking thing but it has 3 pins instead of 4.

Dis_ease
03-04-2010, 07:58 PM
You've lost me, should be a 6pin, I've never heard of gpu using 4 pin

get a pic?

Just read on the side of the 5770 box that it require your PSU have a 6pin connector, do you think the 3 pin connector goe$ from the vide card to the PSU, then the PSU effectively 'spits it back out' as a 6 pin connector back to the mobo?

Thebananamonkey
03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I think you've lost it.

Did any of this stuff come with a manual?

Read them thoroughly before you go charging in.

Once you've clued yourself with the basics, come back and we can help you with the rest.

Dis_ease
03-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I think you've lost it.

You could not be more right. What a tool I am...

With the 5770 comes a 2x3pin to 1x4pin adaptor. Finally snapped in the straight 2x3pin to the PSU. Works like a dream.

Apologies for the (rather) big deal, but thanks for the support and quick replies!

Sweep
04-04-2010, 12:14 AM
You could not be more right. What a tool I am...

With the 5770 comes a 2x3pin to 1x4pin adaptor. Finally snapped in the straight 2x3pin to the PSU. Works like a dream.

Apologies for the (rather) big deal, but thanks for the support and quick replies!

It's better to ask rather than reading instructions.

A guy thing I believe. :clap

pctek
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

I have a 20 pin power connector /4 pin power connector

Then I have 2 lots of 4 pin power connectors Bundled together. I also have a one 6 pin power connector.

my GFX card has it's own power connection as 4pin (old school molex),

24pin into the motherboard - it's 20 + 4 in case you are using an old 20pin board and don't need the other bit. Just plug it in.

The CPU connector used to be 4pin, a lot of boards now are 8 pin, thats why 4+4. Plug it in - in your case all 8.

GFX, all depends on your graphics card - you may need 6 pin, or 6 pin + another, or 6pin + 8pin.

Your card has a 4pin molex type - so plug that in and don't worry about the 6pins.

You wouldn't hurt anything without it - it just wouldn't boot.