PDA

View Full Version : hdd and internet question

smithinator
03-04-2010, 03:24 PM
hi

i just built a PC out of some older broken computers, its successfully running xp professional with 1gb of ram an 80gb hdd a 9600xt gpu and a p4 3.2ghz cpu

1 i want to put in another two 40gb hdds so it has a total of 160gb but both hdds have been formatted with their own os so what do i need to do in the bios so it only boots from my 80gb hdd and not the others because if i have all of the hdds connected the pc wont or has trouble booting,

also:

2 can a ribbon cable run more than 3 hdds through it?

3 where in xp do i find the place where i can reformat the drives

4 how do i get it to recognize my broadband connection (it is plugged in via ethernet) as it wont automatically connect it was previously configured for a dial up connection

5 and how do i put the drives in a jbod configuration?

thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 03:41 PM
1. Make the hdd with the OS the bootdisk in the BIOS. Then it'll boot from it

2. No, a ribbon cable can only have 2 hdd's or cd's/dvds on it (Master and slave). You'll have to have 2 IDE connections on the mobo (2 on one and one on the other)

3. Right mouse on my computer on the desktop / manage / disk management

4. Its conected to a modem / router? And its the only PC there?

5. Probably cant, if the mobo doesnt support it

smithinator
03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
ok so ill need two ribbon cables and two appropriate plugs on the mobo to run 3 hdds right? the pc is connected to a modem and its the only one connected to it, so i need to set the 80gb hdd to bootdisk (is bootdisk the master drive?) and the others to slave drives

feersumendjinn
03-04-2010, 04:05 PM
#4, Go into IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections(tab), remove any dial-up or VPN connections, select Never Dial A Connection, then click LAN Settings button and select Automatically Detect Settings, click Apply/Ok as necessary.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 04:08 PM
ok so ill need two ribbon cables and two appropriate plugs on the mobo to run 3 hdds right?

Yup thats right. Put 2 on 1 (remember to jumper them if theyre IDE). And jumper the other as master, or slave (it doesnt matter which), if its the only IDE device connected to the mobo

the pc is connected to a modem and its the only one connected to it, so i need to set the 80gb hdd to bootdisk (is bootdisk the master drive?) and the others to slave drives

No, depending on which IDE connection the 80 GB is on, thats what you change the bootdisk to (it'll probably say the brand/model of the 80 GB under the boot menu in the BIOS). Thats the one you change it to

smithinator
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
so i jumper the 2 40gb hdds as slave drives and set them up as slave drives in the bios and the 80gb i jumper as the master hdd and set it to bootdisk in bios is that right?

feersumendjinn
03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
ok so ill need two ribbon cables and two appropriate plugs on the mobo to run 3 hdds right? (Yes) the pc is connected to a modem and its the only one connected to it. I need to set the 80gb hdd to bootdisk (Yes, In the BIOS settings (usually press Delete to access Setup, will tell you on first POST screen)) (is bootdisk the master drive? (Yes)) and the others to slave drives (set the jumpers on the drives to do this).

Sweep
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
You could get a PCI card to connect IDE drives to. But you can use two IDE ribbon cables to connect three hard drives and an optical drive if the motherboard has a primary and secondary header.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
so i jumper the 2 40gb hdds as slave drives and set them up as slave drives in the bios and the 80gb i jumper as the master hdd and set it to bootdisk in bios is that right?

No. One as master and the other as slave (you cant have 2 masters or 2 slaves, on the same IDE connection)

One (or 2 hdds) will be on the Primary IDE connection (one as master one as slave). And the other will be o the secondary IDE connection as either master or slave (if its the only IDE device connected ).

Dont worry about the BIOS. if you jumper the hdds properly, the BIOS will detect them. Whatever hdd has the OS on it (that you want to use) make it the bootdisk in the BIOS

smithinator
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
can i set the drives to slave in the bios without putting in the jumpers?

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
No. Thats why IDE hdd's have jumpers for master or slave

smithinator
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
ok thanks for all of your help ill give it a go know heres hoping it works :) thanks again

smithinator
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
hi i put in all of the jumpers on all my hdds but it still wont boot when i have more than one hdd connected even though i set it up correctly, also i need to turn on some things in msconfig that seem to have been deactivated but when i type it into run the msconfig window flashes up and then disappears and i dont know why

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Did you change the hdd with the OS on it to the bootdisk in the BIOS? WHAT is it saying when you try and boot from whatever hdd?

WHAT are you turning on / enabling in msconfig?? Dont disable services thru there.

smithinator
04-04-2010, 11:19 AM
the hdd im booting from is the master and the other is a slave, i didnt disable things in msconfig they were already disabled when i got the hdd but now i need to turn them back on except the window wont stay open

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2010, 11:26 AM
But DID you MAKE SURE the bootdisk is the hdd with the OS on it (that you want to boot from). By selecting it as the bootdisk (in the BIOS), then saving the settings. Then rebooting.

Just because its the master doesnt mean its the hdd with windows on it.

smithinator
06-04-2010, 12:04 AM
if by bootdisk you mean master drive then that is what it is set to there is no bootisk option

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2010, 12:16 AM
By bootdisk, I mean whatever hdd has windows on it (and the one you want to boot from). It doesnt HAVE to be the master one. It can also be the slave

Sweep
06-04-2010, 01:17 AM
if by bootdisk you mean master drive then that is what it is set to there is no bootisk option

The operating system you have is XP pro on an 80 gig hard drive and that boots with no other hard drives. But one presumes you also have an optical drive either a CD reader/writer or a DVD reader/writer. If you don't have an optical drive then how was Win XP pro installed? (Yes I know it can be done before anyone jumps on me.)

The computer boots with the 80 gig and the optical connected with one ribbon cable does it? If so then the two other 40 gig drives should go on another ribbon cable one drive as master and other a slave. Personally I would put the 80 Gig drive on the Primary IDE output from the motherboard and jumpered as master and the optical drive on the Secondary IDE from the motherboard and also jumpered as master.

The 2 x 40 gig hard drives both get jumpered as slave drives. I suspect that the jumpers on the drives are in the wrong place and hence the pc won't boot.

Agent_24
06-04-2010, 03:53 AM
IDE provides two channels normally, Primary and Secondary.
On each channel (and thus, IDE cable) you can have two drives, Master and Slave.
This is a total of 4 drives (unless you add any extra PCI cards with more IDE channels)

The BIOS has a boot sequence.

For example, I have mine set to try floppy first, then CD drive, then a 250GB SATA hard drive. The first drive it tries that has bootable media, it will boot from, even if others later in the sequence also have bootable media.

The boot sequence setup option in the BIOS usually lists the drives by model number (for hard drives)

smithinator
06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
i have it set up like this: optical drive by itself on the second ide plug on the mobo then i have the 40 and 80gb drive on the other the 40 is set to slave and the 80 is set to master (i haven't plugged the other 40 in as i dont have a ribbon cable that has 1 connection for optical drives and one for hdds) in the boot sequence i have the 80gb set as first, but....i think i know whats wrong i took the 80gb hard drive that already had xp on it from one PC then i put it in my new one so i didn't actually install xp on this computer as the hdd already had it on it and every time i start up i get 1 or two error messages so i think ill have to locate an xp disk and reinstall hopefully that will fix all of the issues, will any xp disk work with my xp prof product key?

Speedy Gonzales
07-04-2010, 12:14 AM
i have it set up like this: optical drive by itself on the second ide plug on the mobo.

That sounds OK

then i have the 40 and 80gb drive on the other the 40 is set to slave and the 80 is set to master

OK. So, which one has the OS on it (the one you want to use)?? The 40 or the 80 GB?

(i haven't plugged the other 40 in as i dont have a ribbon cable that has 1 connection for optical drives and one for hdds).

You can put hdds and cd's/dvds on the same IDE connection (in theory). BUT, some say its not a good idea

in the boot sequence i have the 80gb set as first, but....

Is this the hdd the OS is on?

i think i know whats wrong i took the 80gb hard drive that already had xp on it from one PC then i put it in my new one so i didn't actually install xp on this computer

This could be the prob. Usually its not a good idea to swap hdd's (if you installed XP on a completely different system). Whats the specs of the system you took the hdd out of ? Since the hardware maybe completely different (on the system you took the hdd out of), and the one you're putting it into. It'll probably crash, if you do manage to boot into windows with that hdd

will any xp disk work with my xp prof product key?

No you need an XP Pro CD

smithinator
07-04-2010, 12:20 AM
the 80gb hdd is the one with the os i think ill try a reinstall and see if that helps thanks for all of the help